It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lewis Katz among dead in Massachusetts Plane crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A Gulfstream IV crashed on take off last night from Hanscom Field. There were 3 crew members and 4 passengers on board, all were killed on impact. Among the dead was Lewis Katz, who recently bought The Philadelphia Daily News, and Philly.com. He was also known for being owner of the New York Nets, as well as the New Jersey Devils. He founded two charter schools in Camden, NJ, as well as supporting a number of youth, education, religious, and civic charities.

Also killed in the crash were:

Susan Asbell, the wife of former Camden County Prosecutor Sam Asbell
Marcella Dalsey, the Executive Director of The Drew A. Katz Foundation and President of KATZ Academy Charter School
Anne Leeds, a retired preschool teacher and wife of Longport Commissioner James P. Leeds.

6abc.com...

The names of the crew have not been released. It's reported that the aircraft may have caught fire during the take off, and exploded after impacting the ground after getting briefly airborne.

Seven people are dead after a plane crashed at Hanscom Field in Massachusetts last night as the flight was en route for Atlantic City, NJ. Among the dead is 72-year-old Lewis Katz, the recent co-owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

A spokesperson for the Massachusetts Port Authority told the Associated Press:

The Gulfstream IV crashed as it was leaving Hanscom Field at about 9:40 p.m. Saturday for Atlantic City International Airport in New Jersey, said Matthew Brelis.
There were no survivors in the crash, and no other names have been confirmed. The editor of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Bill Marimow, confirmed the news of Katz's death to the paper.

Massachusetts plane crash

(CNN) -- A private plane crashed on takeoff Saturday night in Massachusetts, killing all seven people on board, according to Hanscom Field airport, where the plane had taken off.
Among the dead was Lewis Katz, a Philadelphia-area businessman who, just days before the crash, purchased the parent company of The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and CNN affiliate philly.com. He was 72.
"It is with an incomprehensible amount of grief and the heaviest of hearts that my sister and I announce the loss of our beloved dad," Drew Katz said in a statement Sunday. "My father was my best friend. He taught me everything. He never forgot where and how he grew up, and he worked tirelessly to support his community in countless ways that were seen and unseen."

CNN

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So we are turning ATS into an Obit Page? If you like, I can reply with a post about a car accident down the road here. As I can see, the only difference is that car crash post will not mention any rich people.

Is it that because this crash killed rich people that it deserves attention here on ATS?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
So we are turning ATS into an Obit Page? If you like, I can reply with a post about a car accident down the road here. As I can see, the only difference is that car crash post will not mention any rich people.

Is it that because this crash killed rich people that it deserves attention here on ATS?

I think it has more to do with the elitism of the people and wether or not the crash was accidental. If the people in your car crash pulled strings in the political world that effect or lives then I am sure they would be mentioned also.
Firepiston
edit on 1-6-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Not to mention he just won a legal battle against some ugly people. Short lived win I might say

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So a plane carrying someone known for doing philanthropic works, including founding several charter schools, as well as other prominent people in the community crashes, and the only thing you take away is that it's a rich person's obituary?

Despite the fact that the Gulfstream IV has been flying since 1985, and has only had a very small number of accidents, and yet this one takes off, catches fire, and crashes immediately after take off.

And all you see is an obituary? You don't see the possibility that something happened deliberately here?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Oh come on Zaph you and your WILD conspiracies...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And all you see is an obituary? You don't see the possibility that something happened deliberately here?

Well certainly I can Zaphod. I can take my mental processes and stretch them in any number of directions. I clicked on your link as I did not recognize the name you posted. What I found was an obit lifted from a few sources. You offered no other comment. No speculation on possible perpetrators or motives. No comment on how this could affect world affairs in general or ATSers specifically. What I saw was nothing more than an obit. If you want to post more on any of those conspiracy tinged topics, I would be happy to consider them.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I wasn't aware that ATS was only about things that affect the world, or ATS/ATSers specifically. I always thought that it was about putting information out there, and not just spoon feeding "hey, this is what may have happened, and this is who might be behind it" on topics that affect the world, or certain people specifically, especially on something that happened less than 24 hours ago.

Nothing says you have to read and or post on this thread, or any other that I create. If you don't like the topics I post, simply don't read them. It's that simple. Or if you don't like it, you're free to not reply to it. I'm not going to sit here and spoon feed you my thoughts or conclusions on what may have happened.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm friends with the Lenfest family. They are strait shooters.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I wasn't aware that ATS was only about things that affect the world, or ATS/ATSers specifically. I always thought that it was about putting information out there, and not just spoon feeding "hey, this is what may have happened, and this is who might be behind it" on topics that affect the world, or certain people specifically, especially on something that happened less than 24 hours ago.

Nothing says you have to read and or post on this thread, or any other that I create. If you don't like the topics I post, simply don't read them. It's that simple. Or if you don't like it, you're free to not reply to it. I'm not going to sit here and spoon feed you my thoughts or conclusions on what may have happened.

If you want to post more on any of those conspiracy tinged topics, I would be happy to consider them.

One last time. I read your post to find out why someone would post an obit on a conspiracy website. Other than that the dead man was rich I could find no reason. When I asked you why you apparently took offense. Then when I asked you again you replied in and insulting manner (spoon fed).

So, in this spiral of deteriorating discussion, do you think I should just toss an insult back at you or would you like to elaborate on your own theories on this death.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
For general reference.. This isn't an obituary. That would simply be notice of death to the public at large. That wouldn't be running across the nation's press and headlines for official investigations as to what happened here.

Less than a week before the crash, Katz and Harold H.F. "Gerry" Lenfest struck a deal to gain full control of the Inquirer as well as the Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com by buying out their co-owners for $88 million. Lenfest said Sunday that the deal will be delayed but will still go through. Katz's son, Drew, will take his father's seat on the board of directors, Lenfest said.

When bidding on the company, Katz and Lenfest vowed to fund in-depth journalism and retain the Inquirer's editor, Bill Marimow.
Source: US News - Sourced back to AP

Sounds interesting. Especially with how much of the media industry is going precisely opposite for direction. I don't know if all that had relation to their deaths but others seem to think it's possible. That's enough to make me curious.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Thank you Wrabbit. Your short but to the point elucidation on the possible contexts of this crash is what I have been asking Zaphod for, a possible motive for this crash for it to be considered anything other than a simple accident.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Ahh.. I see your point there.

You're welcome and I'm glad I could find that to add. The names hadn't run a bell with me when I first saw the title myself, though I hadn't assumed 'ol Zaph had turned 'ol fogy on us to start reading the obit page with his morning coffee.

It'll be interesting to see how this story runs though... Planes do fall out of the sky occasionally and the world is an imperfect place. We all may recall the Russian airliner awhile back which airport security footage literally caught going nose first right in, after having had some seemingly minor issues. It's a wonder they fly with as clean a record as they do, I'd suppose.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
The man owned sports teams and also Philadelphia news outlets.
We've got a big mob presence here in the Philadelphia area.
And the mob LUVS things to do with sports teams AND media.
Maybe he didn't play ball with them. You never know ....

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

He's known for a lot of things, including apparently being a damn good guy. When a plane that has been flying for 30 years, with something like three or four accidents in that time suddenly catches fire and crashes, while carrying a group of prominent people like this, it's twitchy.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Sure they do, and this may be nothing more than bad maintenance, or something "normal". But the G-IV has a DAMN good safety record over the last 30 years it's been operating. All the Gulfstreams have had really good records, which is one reason why people love them so much.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
He's known for a lot of things, including apparently being a damn good guy.

He was a good guy who owns sports teams and major media outlets in a city full mobsters. Well ... good guys don't last long ... the mobsters know how to 'take care of business'. If they whacked him for not playing ball with them, then It's sad ... we have very few really nice people in the world.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Not to mention the other people with him. One was the wife of a council member, and one was married to a prosecutor as well. So he may not even have been the target if it was brought down on purpose.
edit on 6/2/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
just a small pinch of evil beings, less into this planet..
edit on 2-6-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Curiouser and curiouser.

The aircraft accelerated normally on take off, and reached165 knots, but never lifted off. They started braking hard about 1300 feet from the end of the runway, but went off the end where the aircraft broke apart and burned.

Everything appeared normal on the FDR as far as engines, and flap settings, but there was no pre-takeoff control check. Investigators say the controls acted like the gust lock, which keeps the ailerons and elevators from moving in high winds was engaged.

The gust lock control switch in the cockpit was found in the off position.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join