It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media Link Banner - WHY??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I agree. It's a serious usability flaw and irritates the living hell out of me too.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it disappears on page 2 of threads.

When it first came out, there were plenty of suggestions about how to make it more appealing, usable, and so on, but clearly something else won out.

There is ALREADY social media crap at the top of the page...just add those that aren't there already up there too. Sheesh.

It still bugs me. I can't stand anything that scrolls as I do, and social media makes me want to scream. I didn't pay much attention before, because the desktop has a nice big screen, and I could ignore it more easily. On a laptop, it's maddening.

More appealing to me would be no social media on the conspiracy site, but maybe that's just me. I am so annoyed by Facebook, I have the cookies blocked all the time, unless I log on to check on family, which is maybe once a week. Found they were placing cookies even when I wasn't on their site at all, and hadn't been all day.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Weird I just came back to this thread and it's gone. Didn't change anything.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Also, those of us on phones, with a small enough space as it is, can't see what we're posting very well, without minimizing our reply window even smaller.
It would be nice to have the option to close it.

Too much screen clutter has turned me into more of a lurker these days

I haven't done much with the phone on here so far. Just got the smartphone (I really loved my flip phone), and only since the computer issues have I used it much for online. Home mostly, and the desktop was always easier. The ads do seem a lot more noticeable on the phone, though, because of the screen size. I think I would go nuts if that was my primary connection! Making me nuts now, with the limited computer usage, since sharing!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
I'm with you on this one--social media every time you turn around
My husband nor I do that [we don't even have a smartphone. LOL]

In fact, ATS is the only site where I interact with people and it's not the same as FB/Twitter

Like another poster stated, if they have the icons at the top, why are they needed on the side??

Well, we do have smart phones now, because these days you almost can't get any decent features without one. Mine is very new, since the seven-year-old flip phone broke, finally.

I really detest social media. I liked MySpace ages ago, when it was more of a "make your own webpage" sort of thing, and not a place people post every stupid thing they do. I would blog there, and share with some people, and that was cool. No demands to share everything, just a place to post what I wanted, and when. Then everyone started going Facebook-mad, and virtually everyone I knew was there, and literally nowhere else. No more emails, no messaging, nothing but Facebook. It was like a mental disease. I have it, ONLY to stay in touch with distant relatives and friends, but I am rarely on there. I don't have time to waste posting everything there. I did spend more time at first, and found that time growing daily, till I said, "Enough!", and got off almost completely. It took forever to get people to stop inviting me to a couple of dozen games a day.

I'd rather chat here on issues, as I want, and see what I want to see. It's easy, too, because the forums are so nicely done. Adding social networking links seems wrong here, on so many levels! Plus, why at the top AND along the side??? It's demanding, and pushy, and I can't stand that. I am the sort of person that will not be pushed. Someone pushes, I tend to dig in and become very uncooperative. The social networking links all over online have insured that I won't ever even check out most of them. Ever. It is like they want people so caught up in those, they have no time for anything else.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Weird I just came back to this thread and it's gone. Didn't change anything.

The widget is gone? Oh, wish I knew how!

Weird, though.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll
a reply to: snarky412

In this day and age the last thing you would want is to force people to zoom. This isn't a solution ya know.

Ghostery will block the social media thingy.
AdBlockPlus will to, but only if you create a rule to block it , namely ||w.sharethis.com/button/*
edit on 30-5-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thankyou for the info on how to block with a rule on Ad lock.
and thank you, LadyGree Eyes for makin this thread. i could not believ my eyes--er, thumbs? when I saw ATS had implemented a share-this w/every social site button banner vertical follow bar.
boo hoo, and I mean it! way to reduce functionality!a reply to: engvbany

edit on 13-6-2014 by kkrattiger because: Ad lock & Gree Eyes. See, it's already hard enough on a phone screen!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join