It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media Link Banner - WHY??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I really don't mind ads, because we can simply scroll past them and they aren't in the way. The little banner thing, though, with all the social media links, is seriously annoying! Up and down every page, scrolling with the page, and making me want to scream! I don't WANT to link ATS stuff to a social media page! Why would anyone want to? All the discussion of how bad social media is, and here, of all places, we can't escape the banner? This used to be a site I could come to read and discuss, and not be bombarded with the social media craze, and now that refuge is gone.

Seriously, is this something we need on ATS?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
After posting this, I attempted to do a simple site search, and I can't, because the banner covers the search link. Nice.

Not!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Just out of curosity, have you tried using 'Ctrl' and zoom in some to reduce the size?
On mine, if I zoom out all the way, yes it will cover up the search thingy

But if I reduce the screen size just a hair, it puts that ribbon to the right of it and it doesn't cover it up

I don't do social media either, so for me, it's useless

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

I hate it with a burning murdering pure hate filled vengeance

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Can you post a screen shot? Because I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The social media banner doesn't cover anything on my page.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Also, those of us on phones, with a small enough space as it is, can't see what we're posting very well, without minimizing our reply window even smaller.
It would be nice to have the option to close it.

Too much screen clutter has turned me into more of a lurker these days

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: learnatic

^ and apparently it's making some people a little crazy

please give those of us that don't/won't use it, a little x to shut it down

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I agree. It's a serious usability flaw and irritates the living hell out of me too.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it disappears on page 2 of threads.

When it first came out, there were plenty of suggestions about how to make it more appealing, usable, and so on, but clearly something else won out.

There is ALREADY social media crap at the top of the page...just add those that aren't there already up there too. Sheesh.

edit on 5/29/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I hate it as well! I will never use it. It would be tolerable if it didn't scroll with you and just stayed at the top of the page.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I see. Mine doesn't overlap. I don't see the need to have it twice on the page, though.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

In this day and age the last thing you would want is to force people to zoom. This isn't a solution ya know.

(post by ChaosComplex removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll

In this day and age the last thing you would want is to force people to zoom. This isn't a solution ya know.

In this day and age, there are different types of devices that ATS has to consider hence the way they are experimenting different layouts

It's not a solution, no, but more of a compromise
Zooming is an option and some people may not know how to do it....that's why I threw that out there
No big deal, just trying to be helpful...my bad---didn't mean to force anyone to zoom
*sigh*

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

If I did that, on the small laptop screen I am using, I wouldn't be able to read it. On my desktop, I could, but that's down at the moment. Not a bad suggestion otherwise, though, so thanks.

It's really the whole idea of social media links everywhere on a conspiracy site that bugs me more than it being in the way. I get tired of social media all over the place. If I want to share something, I can simply link to it. Widgets all over are annoying, and intrusive. Here, of all places, with all the commentary on how they violate privacy, having that is surreal.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Yeah, that sums up my feelings! Ads, sure. Social media all over? Please, no!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Can you post a screen shot? Because I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The social media banner doesn't cover anything on my page.

Not on this laptop. On the one I was using (hubby's), it blocked the search. On this one (son's), it isn't. My desktop is not working at the moment, and I didn't have that issue with it. When I get hubby's again, can post a pic showing the issue there. No idea why it's different. Same browser, same laptop screen size.

Blocking or not, though, I seriously detest social media widgets on websites. The social media sites are intrusive, and I loathe the way every single website assumes we want to share everything we do through social media. If it wasn't for distant family, I wouldn't even use social media.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I hate it too. It's incredibly irritating and serves no real purpose. If someone want's to link, they can link. I usually have Netflix going on one side of the screen and ATS on the other. The 'sticky' social media nonsense blocks out what people say when I shrink the window.

Have a 'share' tab on the top bar or something. Or just don't. I'm still irritated about the copy paste thing where the thread or post get's linked. I HATE websites that do that. Especially when I'm on the freaking site and quoting someone directly above me.
edit on 3020140520141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3020140520141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: learnatic

^ and apparently it's making some people a little crazy

please give those of us that don't/won't use it, a little x to shut it down

Just a little crazy........er, as my kids would say.

Something to close it would be bliss!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
*cough*

I always use my cell phone on ATS I never have seen that socical media bar?

I don't ever really see Ads to...

Maybe use a different browser?

Interesting ...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

It's really the whole idea of social media links everywhere on a conspiracy site that bugs me more than it being in the way. I get tired of social media all over the place. If I want to share something, I can simply link to it. Widgets all over are annoying, and intrusive. Here, of all places, with all the commentary on how they violate privacy, having that is surreal. -

I'm with you on this one--social media every time you turn around
My husband nor I do that [we don't even have a smartphone. LOL]

In fact, ATS is the only site where I interact with people and it's not the same as FB/Twitter

Like another poster stated, if they have the icons at the top, why are they needed on the side??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join