It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The futuristic dream of wirelessly charging your smartphone while you stand in line at the coffee sh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

A new company called Energous has devised a method of wirelessly transmitting power over long distances. Its prototype system can beam 10 watts, more than enough to charge your smartphone or tablet, over a distance of 15 feet — and, rather importantly, it will track your device if you move around. The company hopes to commercialize its technology soon, with partner companies showing off the tech at CES in January 2015. It seems that the first generation of wireless charging — those awful, short-range charging plates — may finally be drawing to a close. The dream of having your smartphone and other mobile devices constantly topped up — while you sit on the sofa, while you stand in line at the coffee shop — may soon come to pass.

So in five years we will be charging our cell phones while we wait for coffee. But what about ten years? When I'm in my electric car driving down the freeway will there be a sign saying wireless charging lane? I think this technology is going to come to fruition before better battery technology develops (I think we are already near capacity there). Imagine what other devices we will be powering with Tesla's 9th and 10th greatest inventions wireless communications and unlimited free energy.

Source
edit on 2652014 by ChefSlug because: Added Link

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

You forgot the link to the source.

Could be this ?

www.extremetech.com... ay-soon-come-to-pass
edit on 26-5-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yup that's it! Thanks!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Hehe there's another OP on a super capasitor battery! Lol

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Not a battery.

Energous's technology is the charging "cable" of the battery.
Instead of plugging in your cell phone to charge it you just enter an area that the wireless power charging system is active in and the battery recharges. This definitely will be used in conjunction with super capacitor batteries in the future.

I'm trying to see this from a transportation aspect of the field. Imagine charging stations for wireless power so powerful they could keep your electric car charged as it drives by the areas. Fewer costs in transportation = cheaper costs of goods.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Hm, nice. Thanks for the clarification.

Urban area are often swimming in an electromagnetic soup. Basically "free" energy which need simply to be converted back to AC and DC.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So this is what people dream about for the future? Charging their cell phone while waiting in line for coffee?

The human race has really lowered it's expectations....

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
swane: yeah tapping into that "soup" will play a major part in history

mwood: I'd like to quote a famous actor, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Also Niel Armstrong said that on the moon. First we crawl then we walk.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
So this is what people dream about for the future? Charging their cell phone while waiting in line for coffee?

Indeed. My futuristic dream is brewing a pot of coffee over a campfire while my solar powered helicopter charges up.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

Lol that's what I was thinking... who gives two damns about having their phone charge while waiting in line for coffee... for a start I never wait in line for a coffee. Also, 15 feet isn't really much, but it probably has to pump out an extremely strong EM field to make that happen, which is probably a health risk, and I'm very sure that it will be totally inefficient and a complete waste of energy compared to simply using a cable.
edit on 26/5/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

join