It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand coup d'etat as military seizes power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Thailand's army chief has announced a coup d'etat, saying the military is taking control of government.

In a televised statement, the army chief said the military would restore order and enact political reforms.

Thailand coup d'etat as military seizes power

Some breaking news regarding the military situation in Thailand.

The military has announced a coup, and have moved to take control of the government.

I have nothing much to say, but i do think this was going to be an obvious step...hopefully everything goes well, and Thailand remains stable.
edit on 22-5-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I usually don't like military intervention, but it seems that in Thailand the military force is actually for the people. I will be keeping a close eye on this.

Next up :

Obama/Nato won't acknowledge next government as legitimate and there will be costs.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I think it's awesome, people still holding the power. I mean here politicians tell you that gathering in public to demonstrate is going against democracy. If we had half the guts of the Thai's we wouldn't let problems get as bad in our own country's.
Good luck Thailand

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
cant shake the feeling this is in response to China and Vietnam on the sea's!
China may be wanting to dish out some more punishment to the border!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Good .. like in past the thai military will restore and keep order .. the politicians and their supporters were going to far with the violence and disrupting the country .. hopefully the new government will be better than the last was ..

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I posted this in the other on going thread about Thailand.

It is 18:58 and the television signal went off air about 20 minutes ago.. I just figured it was the satellite or something with my system... My wife is speaking to a friend who just told her the military has turned off (?) television signals (?) or suppliers. Before writing this I checked both T.V.s which are on separate systems.. no signal... Probably not a good move IMO for it takes the pabulum from the masses ? Internet is still working or it was when I stared this post.

I did hear there was a meeting between the reds and the yellow shirt leaders.... Nothing good came out of the entrenched positions... This may be some fall-out from that..?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Martial law implemented and then a military coup d'état, how very predictable!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
My brother is currently on a flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok and a curfew has been announced from 10pm to 5am,could be an interesting night for him.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
cant shake the feeling this is in response to China and Vietnam on the sea's!
China may be wanting to dish out some more punishment to the border!

This is all internal. It is a result of the coup a few years ago and still mostly just fall out from that change of power. Of course coups in Thailand are a pretty regular things and have nothing to with the world outside of Thailand.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Martial law implemented and then a military coup d'état, how very predictable!

SEE? now THAT is a JUNTA take over according to definition. UNLIKE UKRAINE WHICH WAS NOT A JUNTA TAKE OVER but a popular uprising. I wonder if Putin will have comments on this situation too?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Personally I applaud Thailands military for taking action. It was getting quite messy there and for such a neat place to suffer so much at the hands of despots has been a shame. Sadly I trust the military as they are totally for the people. This should be interesting to watch though as I suspect neither "side" is now going to get what they want. Hopefully the military remains on the peoples side.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Mamatus

I hope their military does well too. Speaking of militaries in that area of the world....The NK have recently fired on SK forces again today.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I wish that our military would do the same thing here, but that is probably a pipe dream because so many of the high ranking military personnel are not there for the people.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Ooh, I have friends who live in Thailand. I'll have to get a report.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The situations in the respective countries are rather different and not even on the same continent. However i'm sure Vladimir Putin is indeed taking note of the rest of the worlds observations and opinions regarding this, how shall we put it, change of government or military takeover?

Stability in the area will be our respective governments main concern i imagine rather than the safety and human rights of the indigenous populace being upheld or stamped all over as the case may be.

That being said IMHO the implementation of martial law is never a good thing considering its similarity to totalitarian absolute rule.

edit on 22-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Im currently in Laos which is just above Thailand and they are basically what Canada is to the USA or NZ is to Aust, practically the same countries with slight differences and influenced culturally by its larger neighbour.

All the TV is off here as they are all Thai channels, Al Jeezara and the Aust network plus a few Chinese soap channels are the few exceptions.
When the announcement came over it was really kinda eerie, all the local Laos stopped what they were doing and were transfixed, Us Farang (foreigners) just went on with our business.

Knowing now what it was its kinda surreal, It was just a charismatic looking Thai army guy on an empty news desk type thing speaking really monotonously and then it had a 10 min video of pics of the royal family to Thai music.

Adding the royal fam pics is a great piece of propaganda. The Thais love the Monarchy so much its not even funny.

Will be an iteresting few weeks in Thailand me thinks, I also think this is a good thing, I believe the people may be better off in this scenario

top topics

join