It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Error 0X8007045D IO device error

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hi guys this is well beyond me,

Mrs C is trying to upload files to her new laptop, some of the power point presentations give this

Error 0X8007045D IO device error

Now handing over my PC to Mrs C to explain anything else

May God forgive me

Cody

The files I am trying to transfer are a mixture of word documents, ppt presentations, PDF files, images and photos and excell files. So far only the PPT files have given me this error, and only very few PPT files at that - most others transfer just fine. It is always stuck at the same file. I can open and edit the file from the external hard drive. I can then also save the opened file as the same file name or a new file name onto the external hard drive, but not onto the laptop under any name at all. I can also save the same file from an old laptop to the new one via a memory stick, just not via the external drive. My ultimate aim is to transfer essential files from the old laptop to the new.

Thanks for any help.
Mrs C

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Try zipping them up and then sending them over, ive never heard of a file transfer throwing errors (i do system admin work for a job for many many years)

If its simply a transfer issue then zipping them for the transfer should fix it however if theres an issue running them once unzipped then i think you have a program problem/flaw and possibly an OS issue.

edit on b0505202 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Windows?
Run scandisk (part of windows) to fix file errors.

Right click on the drive, choose properties, tools, then click Check now.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
Thank you Biigs.
Do you mean the program opening the file has an error - i.e. powerpoint? These may be silly questions but I really don't know much about this. It just seems odd to me that I can open the file on both old and new laptops - on the old from either the external hard drive or the laptop hard drive, and on the new only from the external HD, edit it in either place and save it again. On the old I can save to either place, but on the new laptop I cannot save it to my documents, only to the external hard drive. Also seems odd that hundreds of other ppt files are working just fine and transferring just fine. It also seems odd that I can transfer the same file from old to new via memory stick just fine and open and edit and save as normal. I know this because this is the second file to give me this error out of hundreds and I tried all this with the first file. I have thousands of files to transfer (little bits and pieces for my lessons) and if this error will happen just every now and then randomly out of thousands...
a) how will I know which one will do it
b) the error causes both ext HD and laptop HD to freeze unless I cancel the operation and switch off an on again - all time consuming

Next question from the techno phobe - if I zip the file from the external HD where will it go? And how do I find the zipped file to then save on the new laptop?

Thanks for being patient with an idiot.
Mrs C

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Windows 8.
Thanks for the tip - will try that too.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Okay tried that - the reply was that no problems were found with the file.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599
Windows 8.
Thanks for the tip - will try that too.

Noticed you said you were trying to save to MyDocuments. That folder (on win7 and probably win8) is not a real folder. Its only their for backward compatibility. Not normaly a problem UNLESS you manualy choose to save to it.
Have you tried saving to a different folder?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
you could try using other USB ports, if it is a USB port issue then your motherboard drivers may need an update or a roll back.

Generally if you have a USB port issue then all files should be corrupted but since its one file type its more likly to be a file corruption issue, hence the zipping.

BTW to zip all you have to do [on win7, xp is different] is right click and "add to archive" if you dont have this option install winrar then you will have right click archive options.

EDIT: you can add any files you want if you either select them all or add one file and then select the rest with the folder options.

edit on b2323255 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Okay tried that - the reply was that no problems were found with the file.

Usualy an IO (In out) error is related to the file system, you should run scandisk on the drive that has the problem, not just the file.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Thank you VoidHawk - I am going to try now to make a new folder on the C drive of the new laptop and give the transfer another go.

Your replies and help are coming so fast, so bear with me if I do not respond for a little while as I try this.

Mrs C

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

ca.answers.yahoo.com...

Should fix you up nicely.

Seems to be a registry error common in Windows 7 when using external drives.

~Tenth
edit on 5/21/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I agree with Biigs try a different USB port.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Thanks for trying tothepoweroften - but I am using windows 8

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Hi gortex - sadly I have also tried that already with no luck

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oh, doh! Okay then, will try that too.

I just need to try finish the first transfer to a new folder - it is currently happening but seems to be frozen (thinking about it??) in the same place. I have tried to save the folder rather than the individual problem file - the folder only has 8 files in total.

Mrs C

edit on 21/5/14 by cody599 because: extra information

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Thanks for trying tothepoweroften - but I am using windows 8

The same fix can be applied to windows 8 in most cases.

I often end up resolving windows 8 issues with registry software.

Try CC Cleaner. It's free and has a great registry cleanup tool. Run it at least 3 times, or until you stop seeing error-ed files.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah windows 8 is basically 7 with some swishy OS7 effects

you can apply almost all fixes to 8 that you can 7

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You are all so helpful, thank you for the advice. There are a number of tips here that I need to try one by one but they will each take time until I get it right but for now.....

Trying to save files to a new folder location on the laptop has not worked - the transfer window is now "not responding" so I will have to start over. This means shutting down and logging in again - well at least I think it does because it seems to freeze operation on the external hard drive unless I do.

Back in a minute....

Mrs C

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Did you check to see if your PP files were read access only?

If that's the case, they could be prevented from moving by the security setting. A lot of corporations do this by default to protect unauthorized distribution.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Yes, I am a technophobe but I did think to try that at least - hey, that seemed like the easiest possible fix. Any more complicated than that and I here I am sheepishly asking for advice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join