It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's so hard about evolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Two parents conceive a child. The child is different. It's not a perfect copy of either/or both parents. This sums up evolution.

What part of this is difficult to understand?

This is a real question.
edit on 20-5-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarsIsRed
Two parents conceive a child. The child is different. It's not a perfect copy of either/or both parents. This sums up evolution.

What part of this is difficult to understand? This is a real question.

The real Q. is: What are you on about?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hey, i see what you did there. Let me try one. I eat fruitloops, and i have a baby boy therefor fruitloops are people.a reply to: MarsIsRed

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

Evolution within the boundries of a species is self evident. However, the idea that all creatures evolved from one genetic line is totally unfounded. Macro-evolution is junk science. There is no proof that reptiles became birds, or that apes became man. Only that wolves became dogs and lions became cats. If you think about it, its more of a genetic degeneration than a true evolution.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: manna2
Hey, i see what you did there. Let me try one. I eat fruitloops, and i have a baby boy therefor fruitloops are people.a reply to: MarsIsRed

Or you are promoting type2 diabetes in your child.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Evolution within the boundries of a species is self evident. However, the idea that all creatures evolved from one genetic line is totally unfounded. Macro-evolution is junk science. There is no proof that reptiles became birds, or that apes became man. Only that wolves became dogs and lions became cats. If you think about it, its more of a genetic degeneration than a true evolution.

Evolution *across* species is self evident, for anyone that looks...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

What you are referring to is small-scale evolution, large-scale evolution is much more complex and that's what some
people "don't get."

The definition:

Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification. This definition encompasses small-scale evolution (changes in gene frequency in a population from one generation to the next) and large-scale evolution (the descent of different species from a common ancestor over many generations). Evolution helps us to understand the history of life.

The Explanation:

Biological evolution is not simply a matter of change over time. Lots of things change over time: trees lose their leaves, mountain ranges rise and erode, but they aren't examples of biological evolution because they don't involve descent through genetic inheritance.

The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor, just as you and your cousins share a common grandmother.

Through the process of descent with modification, the common ancestor of life on Earth gave rise to the fantastic diversity that we see documented in the fossil record and around us today. Evolution means that we're all distant cousins: humans and oak trees, hummingbirds and whales.

Small Scale Evolution:

Large Scale Evolution:

UC Berkeley An Introduction to Evolution

edit on 20-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

What you are referring to is small-scale evolution, large-scale evolution is much more complex and that's what some
people "don't get."

If you think referring to an odd website for true is "enlightening", then you're very much mistaken. Pity on your soul...

If I thought you help a soul.
edit on 20-5-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

This is a real question.

When science allows us to manipulate DNA and choose gender, hair color, sexual orientation, etc. Will you call it evolution then? This is the real question. What will happen when parents elect not to have gay children, or elect to have gay children, red haired children, high IQ children, strong children, etc. will society treat them the same? These are the real questions to face society in our not too distant future. What will the planets people look like in say 150 years? I am glad I'm an old guy and won't be around to see it. Unless of course they figure out a way to cryogenically freeze my noggin for later and put it on a young body. Now theres a scary thought.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
When science allows us to manipulate DNA and choose gender, hair color, sexual orientation, etc. Will you call it evolution then?

NO - I will call that abuse of human rights...

You're point is...?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I'm giving information about evolution as that's the question you asked about. I'm not sure how my soul plays in to anything and for the record I have one. Nor am I sure what makes a UC Berkeley website odd. Out of here.
edit on 20-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Evolution *across* species is self evident, for anyone that looks...

Yeah, if you hold your breath and cross your eyes long enough. All earthly creatures share similar genetic features for 2 reason:

1. Genetic degenerative mutations occur with the boundries of any given species. This accounts for the races found within each species: lions-cats, wolves-dogs, white man-black man , dinosuar-lizard, etc.

2. All living things were formed from the same medium...earth. The planet is made up of carbon, silica, sulfates, and phosphates; therefore, so are all things living on this planet.

No proof of cross species evolution here, just that we all live on the same stone orbiting the sun.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I'm giving information about evolution as that's the question you asked about. I'm not sure how my soul plays in to anything and for the record I have one. Not an I sure what makes a UC Berkeley website odd. Out of here.

So... Why out of here? Scared of people making fun of you? ? how strong is your believe... well, not very actually!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Because I come to ATS to have serious discussions about topics, not to "make fun of people."

You asked the question "what is so hard to understand about evolution." I gave a response to the question on why I believe some people may not understand it.
edit on 20-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: add comment

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I believe that evolution happens without a doubt, but I think we have yet to see undeniable proof that our evolution has not been accelerated or changed over time. I believe science has shown us that species are capable of not only rapid evolution but slow evolution over time.

Personally I believe evolution to be proof of a creator and that creators everlasting gift of life.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

When science allows us to manipulate DNA and choose gender, hair color, sexual orientation, etc. Will you call it evolution then?

NO - I will call that abuse of human rights...

You're point is...?

In the cocked and pissed position are we?

My point is just as I state, this will be a societal decision made from people as you say developed through evolution. When children are aborted now because of a birth defect is this an abuse of human rights? That defect is evolutionary isn't it? Good or bad isn't it all part of the evolutionary process? When you take animals and breed for size, color, performance, is this evolution to you? Or during the worst part of our history and slavery was acceptable they bred people to be bigger and stronger,and be able to work harder and longer, was this evolutionary?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You arent very bright, are you? Jennyfrenzy was supporting the opinion that you are trying to get across. She certainly did a much better job than you did.

If you ask me, you really half-arsed this thread. No supporting evidence, poor attitude, you jump to conlusions. It seems like you just have a rusty axe to grind.

Either that or you're just a hairy little troll.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Either that or you're just a hairy little troll.

lmao... There you go you just had to put that image in my head before heading off to sleep.

It's time to sleep and have a evolutionary dream of a hairy little troll evolving into a beautiful young woman in a string bikini.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Two humans conceive a human. The human is different but human. It's not a perfect copy of either/or both parents. This sums up humans giving birth to humans.

If the human gave birth to a human with wings, that would be evolution

This is a real question.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

people "don't get."

The definition:

Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification. This definition encompasses small-scale evolution (changes in gene frequency in a population from one generation to the next) and large-scale evolution (the descent of different species from a common ancestor over many generations). Evolution helps us to understand the history of life.

The Explanation:

Biological evolution is not simply a matter of change over time. Lots of things change over time: trees lose their leaves, mountain ranges rise and erode, but they aren't examples of biological evolution because they don't involve descent through genetic inheritance.

The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor, just as you and your cousins share a common grandmother.

Through the process of descent with modification, the common ancestor of life on Earth gave rise to the fantastic diversity that we see documented in the fossil record and around us today. Evolution means that we're all distant cousins: humans and oak trees, hummingbirds and whales.

Small Scale Evolution:

Large Scale Evolution:

UC Berkeley An Introduction to Evolution

While I TOTALLY disagree with you, I do appreciate the effort and time you placed in to your post.
I think your efforts deserve a star at least

So can somebody star this evolutionist, I just cant do it myself (Just Joking)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join