It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Setting Up Emergency Shelter in Texas as Youths Cross Border Alone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here's a problem that's getting out of control so fast that the DHS has called a "Level 4" alert.

Apparently the number of *Children* crossing the U.S. - Mexico border is growing astronomically.

Border agents apprehended around 4000 in 2011 and 21000 in 2013.

They "estimated" 60000 for this year but that apparently has already been surpassed !!!

They are claiming these children are mostly from countries other than Mexico and somehow they must be "treated" differently than children from Mexico. I wonder how they know the difference if the children don't have I.D. ?

With border authorities in South Texas overwhelmed by a surge of young illegal migrants traveling by themselves, the Department of Homeland Security declared a crisis this week and moved to set up an emergency shelter for the youths at an Air Force base in San Antonio, officials said Friday.

After seeing children packed in a Border Patrol station in McAllen, Tex., during a visit last Sunday, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson on Monday declared “a level-four condition of readiness” in the Rio Grande Valley. The alert was an official recognition that federal agencies overseeing borders, immigration enforcement and child welfare had been outstripped by a sudden increase in unaccompanied minors in recent weeks.

U.S. Setting Up Emergency Shelter in Texas as Youths Cross Border Alone

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When you just open the flood gates and claim phony numbers.

Every young person in Latin America is coming to try for a better life.

I blame my Country for sending the signal to "Come On, It's wide open".

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
These kids need to go back home.

+5 more 
posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

When you just open the flood gates and claim phony numbers.

Every young person in Latin America is coming to try for a better life.

I blame my Country for sending the signal to "Come On, It's wide open"

You mean this one?

edit on 2014-5-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow. I can just imagine the number that don't make it to the US - die or are otherwise harmed along the way. The article states this is Obama's fault, and if that is true he needs to correct it now by making strong statements to the Latin American communities.

+1 more 
posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, Tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

edit on 17-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
"Come pick my oranges, stay uneducated, trim my hedges and babysit while I trash your name and throw you in prison for profit"

Those kids need to go back home. They aren't for sale.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

You mean this one?

Does that pic of The Statue of Liberty mean the "Legal" way?

edit on May-17-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free; The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, Tempest-tossed to me I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

... Unless you're a Hispanic.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
Wow. I can just imagine the number that don't make it to the US - die or are otherwise harmed along the way. The article states this is Obama's fault, and if that is true he needs to correct it now by making strong statements to the Latin American communities.

And I'm sure many get taken for the slave trades.

Mexico is very tough on "immigration" going *Into* their country.

If this many are making it to the U.S. border, my guess is 5x that number isn't.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

No it doesn't. It says that Rick Perry tried to blame Obama:

The base was also used as a temporary shelter for unaccompanied migrant youths in 2012. It became the focus of controversy when Gov. Rick Perry of Texas objected, accusing President Obama of encouraging illegal migration by sheltering the young people there.

Somehow setting up an emergency shelter encourages South American children to cross the border? I guess when they get here we could sit them in a room with Rick Perry for a couple days and after listening to that idiot blather nonsensical drivel for a couple days they'll "self-deport" to end the torture.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Notice how Parry isn't blaming Obama this year, hmm might have something to do with it being a election year?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I employ many immigrants...

Why don't you tell me all about it.

Sheesh...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I agree that at least 5x that are taken. It would be too easy and the traffickers know the routes I'm sure. It's really hard for me to imagine how they are doing it alone. They don't tell the ages but likely no younger than 9. There is just no way - how would they eat, get by...

And thanks for the input about Obama to the poster afterwards. I have no idea what Obama has done with immigration, only hearing it isn't positive. If a message has been sent, and rumors have spread that we are allowing more in, or are being more lenient I can see that making a difference. Regardless of what caused more people to think the risk was worth the effort, we can safely assume life stinks for them the and America is the ultimate hope.

Really sad and my heart says - don't send them back. I know that isn't viable but I couldn't be the one making that choice. I wouldn't want that job for anything.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You mean this one?

Does that pic of The Statue of Liberty mean the "Legal" way?

Nation based quotas were first instituted by xenophobes hysterical over yellow peril. The first group to be restricted were the Chinese. The first act was the Page Act of 1875

The Page Act of 1875 (Sect. 141, 18 Stat. 477, 1873-March 1875) was the first restrictive federal immigration law and prohibited the entry of immigrants considered "undesirable."[1] The law classified as "undesirable" any individual from Asia who was coming to America to be a forced laborer, any Asian woman who would engage in prostitution, and all people considered to be convicts in their own country.

Which was followed by the Chinese Exclusion Act:

The Chinese Exclusion Act was a United States federal law signed by President Chester A. Arthur on May 6, 1882. It was one of the most significant restrictions on free immigration in US history, prohibiting all immigration of Chinese laborers.

39 years after that, we got the Emergency Quota Act:

The Emergency Quota Act, also known as the Emergency Immigration Act of 1921, the Immigration Restriction Act of 1921, the Per Centum Law, and the Johnson Quota Act (ch. 8, 42 Stat. 5 of May 19, 1921) restricted immigration into the United States. Although intended as temporary legislation, the Act "proved in the long run the most important turning-point in American immigration policy"[1] because it added two new features to American immigration law: numerical limits on immigration from Europe and the use of a quota system for establishing those limits.

And in 1924, we got the Immigration Act of 1924:

The Immigration Act of 1924, or Johnson–Reed Act, including the National Origins Act, and Asian Exclusion Act (Pub.L. 68–139, 43 Stat. 153, enacted May 26, 1924), was a United States federal law that limited the annual number of immigrants who could be admitted from any country to 2% of the number of people from that country who were already living in the United States in 1890, down from the 3% cap set by the Immigration Restriction Act of 1921, according to the Census of 1890. It superseded the 1921 Emergency Quota Act. The law was aimed at further restricting immigration of Southern Europeans, Eastern Europeans, and Jews, in addition to prohibiting the immigration of Arabs, East Asians, and Indians. According to the U.S. Department of State Office of the Historian the purpose of the act was "to preserve the ideal of American homogeneity".[1] Congressional opposition was minimal.

to preserve the ideal of American homogeneity

Think about that. That my friend is what institutionalized bigotry looks like.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Why blame Obama when Congress isn't doing there job?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

There is nothing on that Statue of Liberty saying that people can come in illegally. There are entrance quotas set up for a very good reason. Too many people coming in, most without any kind of working skills, can seriously effect the economics of the country and be detrimental. If people follow the immigration laws, they are welcome to come in.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

And thanks for the input about Obama to the poster afterwards. I have no idea what Obama has done with immigration, only hearing it isn't positive. If a message has been sent, and rumors have spread that we are allowing more in, or are being more lenient I can see that making a difference. Regardless of what caused more people to think the risk was worth the effort, we can safely assume life stinks for them the and America is the ultimate hope.

Really sad and my heart says - don't send them back. I know that isn't viable but I couldn't be the one making that choice. I wouldn't want that job for anything.

You should listen to that inner voice — it's a good thing — it's your conscience.

We've been deporting more immigrants than at any point in US history and ICE has been following strategies instituted under Bush to successfully target criminals.

Here's a link to a post I just made regarding this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

FYI:
Conservative dialog in this country has been hijacked by people quoting sociopath, Ayn Rand, who view empathy and compassion as weaknesses.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Why blame Obama when Congress isn't doing there job?

Obama has a bigger pen and phone.

He will handle this (when he receives his orduhz)

But I think the DHS and Justice Department would be the ones to blame.

*Selective* Enforcement is the problem.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

No its not this is Congress fault for not working on and passing immigration reform. But I guess walls and snipers for 12 year olds is not palatable in a election year when republicans can't get even 10% of the Latino vote.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join