It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Avatars have a lot to do with how we interact with each other

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I always try to choose avatars (I change mine a lot) , that reflect me in some way.
If you look at my current one, you could say, that I'm calm, a thinker, and perhaps open-minded.

When I create avatars for members here, they do tend to give away a little bit of their personality, which helps me put it into their avatar. (This happens when they describe what kind of avatar they'd like me to make for them: color, theme, image, etc.)

Looking at avatars helps me remember a member more easily, and yes, IMO it does give away a little about their personality.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Am i the only one who turned avatars off in the settings?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
When ever I read one of Busters posts .... I hear it in my head in Sheldons voice. I can't help it.

And there is someone here with a grandfather clock avatar ... it has a swinging pendulum on it. It is rather calming even if the posts aren't .... the avatar is hypnotic to me.
edit on 5/17/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
As a kid I bought Girl Scout cookies. And yes, I really felt I wish I could have bought more than 2 boxes, but at $1 a piece that was all my mother could afford to give me to buy them. Now only if they would have had machine guns pointed at me, just maybe I'd been able to cough up a bit more cash.
edit on 0500000044022014-05-17T08:02:44-05:00024405am8 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm rather curious what emotion my avatar project on my posts if any?

BTW, Des's avatar makes me think of the wise little fairy who pops in and drops little pearls of wisdom. Oh wait -- that actually happens!

TruBrit, yours relaxes me in some way.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

First your avatar looks clever,
then it has that *I've just been slapped by a fish" look, or a wtf moment, if you will.
It's kinda cute.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Grace, you avy always makes me smile. I get whimsical feelings, mixed with a sense of comfort and wisdom. I know when I see your avy in a thread, I always stop to read what you have to say.

I remember the first time I saw your avy...I thought "that is so freaking awesome"...I almost felt a little jealousy that I hadn't found it first...

Thank you for the compliment....

Des

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Heh... that echos the feeling I had when the video from which it came, was taken!

I do not know many people who can fail to relax while drinking dark rum.

Your avatar however is just cute! I love the way that little critters eyes bug out hehe!
edit on 17-5-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added opinion.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

... it has that *I've just been slapped by a fish" look, or a wtf moment, if you will.
It's kinda cute.

Thank you! The fish slap is I feel most days, heehee. Some days, I wish that my avvy was as elegant as yours. But then the fish comes along and...

Thanks, Des and Tru, I have to say that seeing your "faces" is like seeing old friends.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well... its like I used to say when I lived out the back of a dive of a bar on the seafront... I would like to think that I am becoming part of the furniture around here

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
My current avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Rainbowresidue. I have a "wardrobe" provided by the amazing talent in the Avatar Creations thread that I cycle through, but this one and my Lady In Lavender are my favorites.

I chose all of them because they spoke to me somehow. They're not so much an extension of my personality as they are a reminder of what I strive to be...a lady

That being said, I want my posts to stand on the merit of what they say. BUT I'm guilty of looking for familiar avatars before I join in a thread. Its like rejoining a group of friends.

J

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
In most cases, I usually respond to people based on their view instead of an avatar. The avatars help me remember who's views are what. If i see certain avatars, I already have a general idea of how they will respond to other posters, or myself.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The creatures were said to be shape changers which could take the appearance of black horses, goats and rabbits.

But a dying bunny? Look at his tongue and he is crying looks like he is in pain and on his way out.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
@ op..... Youre right. Avatar pictures give away the nature of the person behind the avatar picture. A very useful thing indeed.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Even though I remember people by their name, an avatar certainly helps me to remember them. Then even if they change their avatar I can still remeber their name. I admit that I don't remember the names of people without avatars, to me they just blend together and don't stand out in my mind. I may agree or disagree with what they have said, but I'll never remember who said it. So conversations with a person may change overtime as a result of their avatar.
edit on 17-5-2014 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
As Domos Avatar, why so serious...hence mine.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When ever I read one of Busters posts .... I hear it in my head in Sheldons voice. I can't help it.

I thought that was a real picture of Buster.

Shows what I know.

I actually had no idea people judge you by your avatar.

Thought never crossed my mind.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think avatars are like underwear , it's best if you change them every few weeks

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't think I really judge posts based on avatars. The only exception is when I see people who use pictures of themselves. I tend to be more suspicious of them because I think I instinctively wonder if they are trying to use their looks for attention.

But I have seen a lot of members that I am familiar with who's avatars don't necessarily speak to me about their character. One particular reason I like avatars is because I will often look for certain avatars of members in threads on specific subjects that I consider them to be educated in, and who's opinions I value.
edit on 17-5-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I try to look to their words first, stress the word try. I do judge avatars though I never really thought about it. I tend to take people more seriously (at first) when I see a real picture, be it them, a dog, cat, kid, trees etc, than I do if I see say a Marilyn Monroe, or Charleton Heston, cartoon characters etc.. I guess it makes them appear more real.

Unless it is a favorite subject of mine, I will usually avoid very long posts except when I see a specific avatar and name behind it. There are a few members here who write some really great posts and threads, and really go out of their way. I remember their avatars and usually will take the time to read the post.

I have been here long enough to know not to hold a grudge just because I disagree with someone on one subject. I used to avoid avatars all together When I first joined, there was a certain bunny that I argued with an awful lot at first, and tried to avoid but just couldn't. Then I realized that it was him who put together all the best threads, the ones I just had to comment on. I do not always agree but now instead of avoiding the avatar, I Iook forward to reading the posts behind it.

edit on 17-5-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join