It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Avatars have a lot to do with how we interact with each other

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Our Avatars have a lot to do with how we interact with each other.

I don't have concrete examples and if this isn't board business and questions, please delete this.

I thought this would be a good discussion.

When I'm replying to someone and they "are" or have the avatar of someone say sarcastic, or a drill instructor or a very peaceful pretty angel, I think subconsciously, it effects how I reply to them, post a question to them or whatever. It has to, right? If their avatar is angry or agitated I think I/we take their posts out of context sometimes. We know these types of visual stimuli have effects on us but how much and could it effect our conversations here, on ATS?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

LOLZ

What about mine?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I see what ya saying
I love avatars. I switch mine a lot. I think it's fun.

Some creep me out and some are just funny and then some are actors and I think of that person as that actor! Hah... I usually stay out of a lot of forums cause I'm just not that knowledgeable ... I'm still just learning and observing. I can definitely see how an avatar could effect the way you respond to that person

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Hola,

For as long as I can remember seeing your Avatar, it always reminded me of this...

Why aren't you a Mod yet?

-Peace-

edit on 16-5-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Before I used the 4th Doctor from Doctor Who, I used an Avatar I made myself. Maybe I'll change it back to my lovely Nebulae that I digitally painted myself. (of which you will likely see after I post this message.)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

LOLZ

What about mine?

You would be the first one in here! LOL But like every time I see Bill Murray, it's his voice from Stripes I here when I read the posts!

Okay, I was trying to think what your avatar does to my thinking and it makes me believe that you really believe what you post. You could be wrong, but you believe it. That's what your avatar does to me. You may be the most honest person alive but your Avatar gives you the illusion of more honesty. You're Avatar says that you would never lie. LOL
edit on 16-5-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

What about mine?

Yours makes me feel hungry ....Mmmmm stew

Sorry beezzer I'm off to chop carrots and onions.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

LOLZ

What about mine?

Yours sucks, Beez, and no one can believe such antagonism can come from a sweet looking cocker spaniel. This creates a great deal of cognitive dissonance.

It's why I am so fiercely hated by the inept and ignorant alike.

edit on 5/16/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I just reply to the post itself, without having any prejudices towards their avatar.
I was just about to change my avatar soon though..

Anyways, I can't speak for everyone, but I do have a feeling a lot of people do this, but I can't say that I know.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Eryiedes

I've always thought of my avatar as a Pooka.

The púca (Irish for spirit/ghost), pooka, phouka, phooka, phooca, puca or púka, is primarily a creature of Irish folklore.[1] Considered to be bringers both of good and bad fortune, they could either help or hinder rural and marine communities. The creatures were said to be shape changers which could take the appearance of black horses, goats and rabbits.

The púca has counterparts throughout the Celtic cultures of Northwest Europe. For instance, in Welsh mythology it is named the pwca or pwwka, and in Cornish the Bucca.[2] In the Channel Islands, the pouque were said to be fairies who lived near ancient stones; in Channel Island French a cromlech is referred to as a pouquelée or pouquelay(e); poulpiquet and polpegan are corresponding terms in Brittany.[3][4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I couldn't choose something sweet and innocent.

That's why I chose such a blood-thirsty warrior for an avatar.

edit on 16-5-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

LOLZ

What about mine?

You would be the first one in here! LOL But like every time I see Bill Murray, it's his voice from Stripes I here when I read the posts!

Okay, I was trying to think what your avatar does to my thinking and it makes me believe that you really believe what you post. You could be wrong, but you believe it. That's what your avatar does to me. You may be the most honest person alive but your Avatar gives you the illusion of more honesty. You're Avatar says that you would never lie. LOL

*wow*

I'm humbled.

Thank you.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Tend to read the words more than look at avatars ..

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

LOLZ

What about mine?

I love bunnies! I raised a lot of them when I was a kid.
Most of them are very nice, gentile souls, but occasionally you'll get one with a mean streak as big as Texas. Even those make good stew, though.
You look like a crybaby. And you have made me laugh so hard at times that I, too have cried.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

It's not tears. I'll tell you a secret. . . . . .

(it's allergies)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I usually interact with the author based on the content of their words.

The avatar helps for future interactions but I remember their ATS handle more than their image.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I guess I know the Drill Instructor you are talking about.

I just love the movie Stripes.

I have changed it a couple times...Then I miss Sergeant 1st Class Hulka.

Find it harder to find my posts when I change it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Let's see... I'll respond to the question by answering for each avatar that has posted in this thread so far.

You - I just wanna fumble with my camera and take a fuzzy photo of your posts then post my pic on ATS.
Beezer - If I give him a carrot, he may give me a star.
Natalia - An avatar after me own heart.
Eryiedes - Likes to type in the dark.
Voidfire - Into the space stuffs.
Gortex - Digging the fiery contrast of peace and war.
schuyler - Obviously hates dogs. Especially Cockers.
Jarring - Probably feels he was Japanese in a past life.
Epat888 - Really was Japanese in a past life.
Nugget1 - Loves dogs unlike that Schuyler guy.

That's all I see for now.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I use the avatars to instantly recognize members but other than that I don't put much thought into it. I don't think it necessarily defines the person more than their words do.
Mine, for example, may be taken as a dark, evil image, but in reality I'm anything but dark. Maybe slightly warped, no more than most, but definitely not dark.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Let's see... I'll respond to the question by answering for each avatar that has posted in this thread so far.

Eryiedes - Likes to type in the dark.

That's me...just like a mushroom...kept in the dark and fed nothing but crap.
Starred.

-Peace-

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join