It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill would force Congress to fly coach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
townhall.com...

You probably read this headline and thought, "Wait, Congress isn't already flying coach?" Lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle have been flying in first-class seats for years on the taxpayer dime thanks to a loophole in the system (a loophole Congress loves to take advantage of). Now, a bipartisan group of Congressmen are looking to end the loophole through the If Our Military Has to Fly Coach Then so Should Congress Act (H.R. 4632).

Hey now, what's this? That's one small step to help lessen the money problems we are in, but will it pass? My guess, nope. These politicians aren't going to give the comforts that public office provides for them.

But it's the thought that counts.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Oh the horror is this how your country pays you after a life or service to the nation coach?!?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Meh....most of them are rich enough to afford the upgrade...OR they have enough frequent flyer miles that they will get First Class anyway....OR they will get in on name recognition alone.

Just a bunch of smoke if you ask me.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

What an utter joke! This is a drop in the bucket. We have much bigger problems to deal with than wasting precious time and energy on whether or not our politicians should fly first class, coach or private jets. My god really? Come on! How abou we start with fixing our economy, fixing our infrastructure, revamping our foreign policy, revamping our trade policies with countries like China…..or here's a thought…..how about giving our goddamn vets the medical care they need and deserve?????????????

If there ever was a dog and pony show government it's the one run we have running the country right now. It's like all the idiots that are falling all over themselves debating gay marriage and abortion. Who cares!!!!!!!! There is going to be nothing to debate when Americans have no jobs and we have no 1st, 2nd, amendments left!!!!!!!

It's like the idiots who think recycling a few glass bottles is going to make a damn bit of difference when we have countries like China fueling our hyperconsumptive lifestyle destroying the planet and polluting x 100.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Or, like one well known Houston Congresswoman, just complain loud enough until she gets a First Class seat.

Personally, I've nevver flown FC and I'm 6ft tall and take very long flights.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

So what you are saying here is, nobody should do anything until everyone does something.....

Gotta start somewhere right? If this is the start, then I for one will take it. First class is very expensive. Considering most of these guys commute weekly, I am guessing it is a big chunk of change going out the window.

Saving pennies when you have nothing is better that spending extra on luxury that isn't needed. I hope this passes.

edit on 13-5-2014 by Doodle19815 because: Why is the site censoring the word win dow and putting a _ there instead?!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

Of course we have bigger problems but we also have little problems and medium size problems and ignoring them isn't going to make them go away. With all the budget cuts that affect hard working Americans you're okay with these politicians using loop holes to ride first class? You are aware how much a first class ticket cost right?

Like I said, this is one small step in the right direction, if it gets passed.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I would love to see every member of Congress, the President, VP, and Supremes get the full TSA "enhanced patdown" for every flight as well.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Funny, and I would think this was already the case. I always thought our government was "of the People, by the People, for the People." Guess I was wrong...
edit on 13-5-2014 by iosolomon because: grammar typo

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I would love to see every member of Congress, the President, VP, and Supremes get the full TSA "enhanced patdown" for every flight as well.

Funny.

I think they ought to have to walk everywhere they go. They'd be able to get out and meet the people that way. Maybe they could even apologize to a few of us while they're on their journey.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
They should fly in the cargo section.
All the money I'm paying them and they think they're better than me? Sad. (From someone who flies coach because ?#%k the airlines)
edit on 14-5-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If you really want to show them, get them to live on only minimum wage in their district and let them see what the average person has to do to survive.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
who is bill?

he is right, whomever he is.

lol!

LET THEM PAY THEIR OWN WAY!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

It will pass, but with some loopholes lol.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I remember when I was in the military I almost never flew coach and never paid for it either. If I had a uniform on I was pretty much guaranteed to be upgraded to first class. Once, when I was in civilian clothes, I even had one of the attendants at the gate call up all active duty military, present their military IDs and then proceeded to upgrade us all (there were 3 of us) for free cause the seats were open.

Wait does this go against the spirit of the thread?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Fly?Fly?They should have to ride the Grayhound like the least of us!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

In my opinion of course, I have no problem with our military getting upgraded. You didn't pay and the taxpayer didn't pay, (I am assuming). Nothing wrong with that. Thank you for your service by the way.

My problem is that our public representatives feel entitled to fly first class while the people they represent can nether afford it, nor can our taxes afford it. IF they get an upgrade because there are open seats and it costs them no extra on our penny, I am okay with that. IF they use their own miles or pay out of pocket for it, I am ok with that.

My problem begins when every flight is booked for first class when coach would have been perfectly adequate. I did check prices last night for 6 weeks out (supposedly the cheapest time to buy tickets), and found that first class was about $600 more expensive (one way) than coach.....

Most of these guys (to my understanding) commute weekly back and forth from hometown to D.C. when in session. That is a pretty big chunk of money that we as taxpayers could be saving. No it isn't going to fix the deficit, no it isn't going to solve the world's problems if they stop flying first class, but it would be a start to saving "a little" bit of money.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'd like to see our royal family using normal flights to travel everywhere.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I hope this passes simply for the psychological effect which may occur. Most of congress believe they are better than us, so maybe this will help, in some small way, to re-shape that way of thinking. US Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis) flies coach, I've seen him behind me twice while I was flying coach.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join