It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David and Jason Benham Respond to HGTV After Anti-Gay Controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I wouldn't want to waste my life in the industry or be on TV, but feel free to discriminate against whomever you wish. One day it will get turned around and won't work in your favor.

Karma can be a pain in the butt.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I wouldn't want to waste my life in the industry or be on TV, but feel free to discriminate against whomever you wish. One day it will get turned around and won't work in your favor.

Discriminate? ROFL.

Are you really claiming that they are being discriminated against for discriminating against homosexuals?

I cant even fathom the circular logic used here...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Discriminate? ROFL.

Are you really claiming that they are being discriminated against for discriminating against homosexuals?

I cant even fathom the circular logic used here...

I am suggesting that YOU believe being Gay is fine and they don't believe it is okay. It isn't like they are not selling houses or denying to do business with someone for their beliefs like you and your network buddies, but hey, you go ahead and feel superior if you like. I am not even against gay marriage or homosexuality, but I am against fascists that discriminate against people that have beliefs that are different from them.

ETA: dis·crim·i·nate verb dis-ˈkri-mə-ˌnāt
: to unfairly treat a person or group of people differently from other people or groups

Note, network...refuses to do business with people with their belief system. They do business with anyone regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. Moral high ground? Them, not you.

YOU are a hypocrite. Your beliefs are fine and discriminating is fine, but if someone else simply doesn't agree with your position you instantly vilify them and treat them badly. Sad, really.

edit on 2014/5/9 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No, they are doing things that their employer deems damaging to the brand.

Not discrimination at all.

Care to try again?

ETA: Me and my network buddies? What does that even mean?
edit on 9-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Care to try again?

No, not really, I made the point I wanted to make and you are either deliberately avoiding it or are too obtuse to see your hypocrisy.

edit on 2014/5/9 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Gaystapo.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Care to try again?

No, not really, I made the point I wanted to make and you are either deliberately avoiding it or are too obtuse to see your hypocrisy.

Except you havent made a point. You have simply whined because somebody got fired for their actions and words.

it happens every day. Christians only care when they are the ones facing repercussions for their actions.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

A T T E N T I O N

The personal jabs will stop now. Please feel free to discuss the topic; that's what most of us are here for. Please focus on the topic, not each other.

thank you ;o)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You mad bro?

Actually it will always work in my favor as long as I'm the executive producer. Because I'm the guy that writes the checks for every thing from salary's for crew to granola bars on the crafty table. It's a business with profit in mind and not the feelings of crybabies that get butt hurt when their mouth runs in front of their brain. It's not discrimination it's a BUSINESS where people have invested money in the project and its my job to see that we work as a team to finish said project. Whiners and prima donas aren't welcome on my set. FYI this is the way it works in any competitive environment. If you can't run with the big dogs; stay on the porch!!

The twins have no one to blame but themselves and now they have the audacity to whine and pout about it.

edit on 9-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I disagree with the decision the network made, but I believe they had the right to make it. I think this is just what happens in a country where the idea is to allow for the most freedom possible.

However; I did listen to an interview with the brothers on CNN and while they didn't seem to hold any grudges against the network, didn't call for a boycott or anything of the sort, I do wonder if some of the folks defending the networks decision based on the networks rights and the idea of defending their brand would defend it if the brother's show had been canceled because they were gay.

And to those who disagree with the decision, despite the fact that the brothers didn't call for it, if it's that important then take a lesson from the gay rights activists and boycott the network. Show the network that its not in their financial interest to make these kinds of decisions. I think trying to make laws/appealing to the government/etc as a means of forcing the decision either way is a mistake.

I think its much more difficult for people of varying beliefs, world views, and etc to live together peacefully than either side acknowledges. We are still much more tribal in nature than we care to admit. If it's going to happen in any manner that approaches equity, all "sides" are going to have to compromise and take the long term view. They're also going to have to exhibit a little more respect for each other than I currently see as common.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The twins have no one to blame but themselves and now they have the audacity to whine and pout about it.

I saw an interview with the brothers on CNN, there wasn't any whining or pouting, in fact, I thought they were rather gracious, and rather positive about the network.

Do you have a link or source where they're whining and pouting?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
saw them on fox, they have no problem with the station, just the smears and false stuff being credited to them.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
People are so reactionary, its like Pavlov's dog, someone rings a bell and everyone salivates at the chance to ride the "how dare you say that" band wagon. Its sure makes it easier for government to run the sheeple, and for corporations to get away with censorship. just wait until they get finished with "Europing" the internet. Free speech will be a crime.

Anyway, if memory serves me correct, you have these guys, Paula Dean, duck dynasty and the right are crying foul. If i remember right, I remember something about the right trying to sand bag the Dixie Chicks. That some hypocrisy for you, and it is hypocrisy and hubris is killing this country. Lies upon lies upon arrogance and greed

If you believe in the Constitution and the freedoms enshrined within, then everyone should have the ability to say what they want, when they want, it whatever way they want to say it. If it hurts your feelings you should still be grateful you live in a country that believes in free speech as a principle. If everyone spoke up to defend free speech every time something like this happens, soon companies like HGTV would learn that it hurts more to stifle free speech. But right now censorship is good business and what is occurring now can only embolden those that want to steal our right to free speech and shred the constitution.

Progressives will stop at nothing to destroy the constitution through a million tiny "pragmatic" cuts.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliamif they were fired because they were gay, id have a huge problem with it. If they were fired for being gay and ranting against straight people, I wouldnt have an issue at all.

Just the same as id have a problem with it if these guys were fired for being christian. But thats not why they were fired.

Theres a very important distinction there. Please tell me you see it....

edit on 9-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
For what its worth...

Our coach taught us to always run through first base. So when we heard that our show was being pulled, only 5 weeks into filming, we had a decision to make – “Do we continue to help these six families and finish the job, or do we simply walk away?”

The decision was pretty easy – we’re running through first base! With or without the cameras, we are fully committed to helping these six deserving families learn how to flip homes. And you know what….we’re super excited to do it! They came to us to learn how to flip homes. Today we are on set and we are going to coach them all the way through.

Source

I think its great that they're going to finish the project with or without HGTV. Maybe a network that isn't scared of the little barking chihauhuas will pick up the show.(if such a network still exists that is)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Its great that they finished the job, ya know, that they got paid for....

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Hey Captain,

Maybe I'm not seeing the same distinction you are. What I understand you to be saying right now is, believing what they believe is ok, (or at least that they shouldn't be fired for it), but expressing it, at least in public, isn't? Sort of like "whatever you do in your bedroom is up to you but I don't want to know about it" or "Don't ask don't tell'? Sometimes, perhaps in error, I get the impression that some members of the homosexual community would like to "closet" and marginalize Christians.

Please, correct me if I've misunderstood how the distinction you're speaking of actually works itself out.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't want to respond for the captain, but I do have a few thoughts about this post. I understand your confusion about not seeing the difference.

originally posted by: imwilliam
What I understand you to be saying right now is, believing what they believe is ok, (or at least that they shouldn't be fired for it), but expressing it, at least in public, isn't?

These brothers didn't just express their beliefs, though. They took actions explicitly to deny rights to gay people (and others that they don't approve of). They tried to get permits denied for gay groups. They compared gay rights advocates to Nazis. They held an anti-gay prayer meeting. They've got their fingers in every Christian extremist pie and are doing what they can to stop abortion, gay rights and Muslims.

Do they have a right to do these things? Absolutely. But I totally understand HGTV's decision not to get involved in that religio-political controversy, especially when the media is becoming more friendly and relaxed about having gay people on their line-ups. Now, if these gay people were not only ON the shows, but in their off-time, they were taking actions to deny rights to religious people, then I would have a problem with that.

Sort of like "whatever you do in your bedroom is up to you but I don't want to know about it"

More like, "whatever you do in your bedroom is up to you, but when you come after my rights, I'm going to try to stop you."

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hey Benevolent,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I think HGTV was well within their rights to make the decision they did. Morally, ethically, however you want to characterize it, If HGTV's intention is to remain completely out of the conflict then I've no issue with them whatsoever.

These brothers didn't just express their beliefs, though. They took actions explicitly to deny rights to gay people (and others that they don't approve of). They tried to get permits denied for gay groups. They compared gay rights advocates to Nazis. They held an anti-gay prayer meeting. They've got their fingers in every Christian extremist pie and are doing what they can to stop abortion, gay rights and Muslims.

I read the article over at Right Wing Watch and I can understand that a lot of what the brothers are reported as saying would be offensive to homosexuals. I can understand why they wouldn't want that kind of thinking to spread and why they might want to marginalize people that held those views.

At the same time, I also understand the concern/fear that Christians have regarding the legitimizing, if not outright celebration and advocacy, of a lifestyle that they believe is condemned by God. I think the way that you perceive the two brothers is not dissimilar to the way many Christians perceive some of the more extreme gay rights advocates.

More like, "whatever you do in your bedroom is up to you, but when you come after my rights, I'm going to try to stop you."

If nothing else I think that sentiment, is shared by both sides in the debate. Where we go from there, I just don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join