It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Pain Exist After Death?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The following assumes that life after death is a reality... Whether or not you believe it is your choice

You'll find out eventually...

Something to ponder... IF the "soul/spirit" continues on after death, can it experience pain?

Physical pain requires a body to experience it, whether its trauma to the body... or emotional pain we "feel" it in the body

Emotional pain is quite different then physical pain though... Direct contact with the body is not necessary to experience it...

It can come by words, or a loss of something or someone... while physical pain requires damage to the physical body...

So what happens when the physical body can no longer hold the soul/spirit?

The concept clearly removes any notion of "hell" or burning... which can not be experienced without a body...

What remains is emotion... which could be described as an emanation of the soul/spirit which manifests in the body while we exist within it...

IF one aligns themselves with positive emotions while in the body, perhaps the soul/spirit becomes accustomed to said emotions after death...

Likewise, IF one chooses a negative life it may be your world in the hereafter

But who knows...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
if the leg gets to heaven you should feel no pain...

On a serious note, if i just don't rot after i die and there is more to it, ill preoccupy of those matter them

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I suspect if God exists, and Souls exist and you're subscribing to that belief system, than if God wants you to burn in hell and feel it, he'll make it happen.

On a more serious/speculative note, I'm sure a "Soul" would be able to feel some sort of pain if not the way we feel pain today. Perhaps electrical shocks, or even as you mentioned, flames(by way of extreme heat) could affect your soul in ways that would me more than inconvenient.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well, if reincarnation exists then yes there is pain after death. You can't have pleasure without pain, if there were no pain then there would he no pleasure either. You have to take the good with the bad.

edit on 5/8/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

One could have nether pleasure or pain...

Even just exist, being one with All...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Pain and suffering are not limited to our physical body. Dreams are an example of where one can experience strong emotional distress, usually without being physically affected.

So yes, if the Soul is real and life exists after death then it is likely that pain can still be experienced in one form or another.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I've never experienced pain in a dream...

And even when emotional distress is experienced... it requires the body to experience it...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Pain in the spirit .. yes. Spiritual pain. A higher level of pain. A different kind of pain. Obviously not physical pain. There is no organic body.

Poor example .. but the closest I can come .. A 'broken heart'. It's not a physical pain. It's emotional or spiritual. That kind of thing.
edit on 5/8/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Your replies to the "fear" thread inspired this little rambling by the way...

I don't think there is a greater pain then a broken heart...

But IF God is love...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Like you said, pain is physical. So is a crisis of conscience painful, too?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And when there is no longer any worry?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Your replies to the "fear" thread inspired this little rambling by the way...

awwwww ... that's so nice!
Someone actually listened to something I said here. You've made my day.

But IF God is love...

That's the question. If God loves us, then why are we in pain and suffering? But at the same time, maybe that pain and suffering helps us in some way?

I love my child but and I would take away all her pain and suffering if I could. But at the same time, she has to work at her college grades herself to make her life better. So maybe God does the same kind of thing with us??

Or ... maybe all that 'it's for a reason' stuff is just crap people tell each other to explain away useless suffering.

I think we'll find out in the afterlife.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That's the question. If God loves us, then why are we in pain and suffering? But at the same time, maybe that pain and suffering helps us in some way?

Why would it not IF everything has a reason, and a purpose?

I love my child but and I would take away all her pain and suffering if I could. But at the same time, she has to work at her college grades herself to make her life better.

This is one of those Light bulb moments.... Here ye go >>---->

I seem to recall someone in a Garden asking his Father to help him... and the reply was the same...

So maybe God does the same kind of thing with us??

Even his son?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I've never experienced pain in a dream...

And even when emotional distress is experienced... it requires the body to experience it...

I would have said the same until a few days ago. I had a dream where I was stung by a wasp and it definitely hurt, it was a burning sharp pain.

After all pain is experience only in the brain, phantom limb pain for instance shows this to be true.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: coffeesniffer

So the question remains....

What if there is no brain to experience said pain?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

With no brain there is no body; only consciousness (should it be able to exist outside the body). I suppose we could only say for sure that a conscious soul would experience pain is to actually experience it but there has to be something to duality that we experience in this reality.

How can you experience good without bad, pleasure without displeasure; without duality we would only experience the mundane.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: coffeesniffer

Both pleasure and pain are a physical experience...

Perhaps beyond what is reality is also beyond what we experience in the physical realm?

We've all been there before... we came from there, but we are not "allowed" to know these things...

Some have that gift... but very few...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Only the body feels. Also, it is the body that does everything else as well.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Sadly I'm not one of those lucky few with insight into such things but I do feel there is much more to our existence than is left in plane sight so to speak

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If one has a spiritual existence after physical death, I believe one will review their past physical existence and be spiritually pained. Obviously, upon finding out the reality or truth of life after death, many may feel they missed out on the time they spent in the physical world. For some they may have truly lived out their physical existence and this reviewing will be more rewarding and a feeling of completeness will fill their spirit.

So obviously, I believe there may be pain of spirit, but not everlasting. My husband thinks we will never know...just lights out. Lol. He is an atheist. All in all, the eventual truth...everyone will find out in the end.

Edit add: I believe in spiritual awareness and that pain is not just emotional and physical.
edit on 5 8 2014 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join