It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food worker strike about to go global

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

No, I'm afraid that your argument is flawed, severely. Your argument assumes that anyone should be guaranteed a living wage. They are not, and should not be guaranteed this. You get what you work for, and frankly some jobs are just not worth paying a higher wage. The process to avoid being in one of these jobs is quite simple, if you don't like it find something else.

Your next argument will probably be that some people have low experience, or that the job market might not be full of good paying jobs. This is not the fault of the business owner that is offering the low paying job. Why should a business owner be responsible for paying say a dish washer a living wage, when that job literally requires no skill and can be replaced by any warm body? It isn't meant to be a job that sustains a family, it is a low wage bottom rung job that gets minimum pay for a reason.

You can argue the subsidy bit in circles and until your blue in the face, but ultimately it is not the responsibility of a business owner to ensure that everyone makes a living wage.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

I didn't realize that every business owner/ CEO made multi millions of dollars! My god what am I doing here on ATS when I didn't realize that somewhere I have millions of dollars laying around since I am the CEO of my company!

edit on 5/8/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
a reply to: Rocker2013

No, I'm afraid that your argument is flawed, severely. Your argument assumes that anyone should be guaranteed a living wage. They are not, and should not be guaranteed this. You get what you work for, and frankly some jobs are just not worth paying a higher wage.

OK so when they overwork a minimum wage worker, they should just chill out and drink a pop and only do the amount of work they are being paid for?

You know, people have families. Do you like having a slave trade in your country? How many of your friends were shot growing up?

(post by DrinkMoreWater removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DrinkMoreWater

I risk my life to keep my COMMUNITY safe. There is a broad spectrum of classes in my community, from poor to rich and everything in between.

That is not the point though.

So if pay is not going to increase across the board, please tell me what the incentive would there be for people who perform jobs with similar pay, yet have much more responsiblity, risk and stress?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Do you mean slave as in a person who is owned by another, or slave as in hard labor is slave labor? If you meant the former I would like to remind you that slavery in the US was abolished. If you were referring to the later, I would like you to explain to me how flipping burgers is hard labor?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Do you mean slave as in a person who is owned by another, or slave as in hard labor is slave labor? If you meant the former I would like to remind you that slavery in the US was abolished. If you were referring to the later, I would like you to explain to me how flipping burgers is hard labor?

I am referring to the slave trade, mr I like to play dumb. You know, the school-to-slave camp pipeline where all those 30 dollar an hour jobs are disappearing to (rising the crime rate, I should add) for 25 cents an hour?

And flipping burgers is not all fast food workers do. The hardest part of their job is some corporate idiot constantly talking down to them and telling them they can't go to the bathroom yet. That alone is worth 15 an hour.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

Good question. Last time I checked, slave labor was forced upon someone.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I risk my life to keep my COMMUNITY safe. There is a broad spectrum of classes in my community, from poor to rich and everything in between.

That is not the point though.

So if pay is not going to increase across the board, please tell me what the incentive would there be

for people who perform jobs with similar pay, yet have much more responsiblity, risk and stress?

Actually, as much as I would like to agree with you, I can't. You only protect the rich and the upper-middle class. On occasion, a poor person gets a hand-out, but it's rare. You probably don't need an explanation of why I say that, though.

Anyways, there WOULD be a pay raise across the board. It would raise the minimum wage because EVERYONE ELSE would finally grow a pair and strike too - police included. The ruling class wants to stop this. And the cycle continues.
edit on 8-5-2014 by DrinkMoreWater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Well, there is the basic need to provide for a family. If it is not met, crimes will be committed. That is forcible. Utilizing the prisoners dilemma from economic game theory AGAINST WORKERS with the intent of ACTUALLY landing them in prison where they work for free - is legal slavery.

I take it you don't work in a crime-ridden city, or you would probably understand what I am saying.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You are wrong on so many levels, but to argue with you would be futile. You have your beliefs and I have mine. No worries.

As a police officer I cannot strike.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I am sorry I don't view working to provide for my family as slave labor. That is my responsibility as a human being.

My city has a population of over 100,000 people. We have our fair of crime trust me.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrinkMoreWater

I am referring to the slave trade, mr I like to play dumb. You know, the school-to-slave camp pipeline where all those 30 dollar an hour jobs are disappearing to (rising the crime rate, I should add) for 25 cents an hour?

And flipping burgers is not all fast food workers do. The hardest part of their job is some corporate idiot constantly talking down to them and telling them they can't go to the bathroom yet. That alone is worth 15 an hour.

First off I would like you to show me documented proof that there is a slave trade in the US. Second, if you think that fast food workers deserve $15/hr then I suggest you open up a restaurant and lead by example. I am willing to bet that neither will happen.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well, there is the basic need to provide for a family. If it is not met, crimes will be committed. That is forcible.

History does not support your point. Source

Families became closer during the depression and worked together.
edit on 8-5-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

As a police officer I cannot strike.

The Baltimore Police Department disagrees:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I am sorry I don't view working to provide for my family as slave labor. That is my responsibility as a human being.

My city has a population of over 100,000 people. We have our fair of crime trust me.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Did you even read my post? READ IT AGAIN!

You missed what I said. Completely. I think. Or you are playing dumb. Not sure which one.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Well, there is the basic need to provide for a family. If it is not met, crimes will be committed. That is forcible.

History does not support point. Source

Families became closer during the depression and worked together.

Oh wow. Yes, the depression was known for low crime rates. lmao

You know, when no one is snitching and police are not policing - the crime late is statistically pretty low.

Do you know what else was going on during the depression?

My grandma told me all about it. They ate raccoons. See, rich people would just let their workers die and bring in new ones. Pay them next to nothing. Well, as it turns out, some people made a killing (literally) off of the depression.

BUT, since you are using the negative propaganda that is most closely associated with stupidity, I must assume talking to you is a fruitless endeavor.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

First off I would like you to show me documented proof that there is a slave trade in the US. Second, if you think that fast food workers deserve $15/hr then I suggest you open up a restaurant and lead by example. I am willing to bet that neither will happen.

Uhh...sure:

www.wired.com...

www.techdirt.com... sts-are-concerned.shtml

transition.fcc.gov...

If you are having trouble connecting the dots, just ask for help. Sometimes using a ruler is useful.

and the market is fixed due to the climate (I would not be dumb enough to open a business in an illegitimate market, such as our "free market" that is anything but free) but I doubt you are dumb enough to not know what is going on.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well, there is the basic need to provide for a family. If it is not met, crimes will be committed. That is forcible. Utilizing the prisoners dilemma from economic game theory AGAINST WORKERS with the intent of ACTUALLY landing them in prison where they work for free - is legal slavery.

I take it you don't work in a crime-ridden city, or you would probably understand what I am saying.

So basically, you're saying "give me more" or I will commit crimes against you and yours.

Sounds like blackmail to me.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I don't work for BPD. It is in my contract that I cannot strike.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join