It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi removing controversial 'flame retardant' ingredient from all drinks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo will both remove from all of their beverages a controversial ingredient that includes an element also found in flame retardants. Coca-Cola intends to have the ingredient, brominated vegetable oil (BVO), removed from its drinks by the end of the year; PepsiCo removed BVO from Gatorade last year and said yesterday— apparently following Coca-Cola's announcement — that the rest of its products would also be dropping it, though no timeframe was given.

Though it isn't used in all sodas and sports drinks, it's reportedly been used in quite a few big ones, particularly those with citrus flavoring, including Mountain Dew, Fanta, and Powerade.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi removing controversial 'flame retardant' ingredient from all drinks.

Good news for those who consume soft drinks. This is no conclusive evidence that BVO has any harmful effects on humans, however, bromide (the element it shares with flame retardants) has been shown to build up in the body.

One more reason I am glad I never got the taste for pop. Always tasted like chemicals or perfume to me. I was really glad when the bottled water craze started. Prior to that, I had to take my own drinks to places like the movies, to festivals, etc.

Glad the Coca Cola and Pepsi Companies are taking the initiative to remove this from their products.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
aa reply to: lovebeck

One more reason I am glad I never got the taste for pop. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You spelled soda wrong, must be from the mid west or east coast

This is good news tho, always good when they take some chemicals out of the stuff they are giving out

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

It's a start. Maybe next we can have, clearly illustrated, a scientific study of the long term effects of drinking fizzy drinks. Other than the obvious tooth decay and weak joints.

I think pop should come with a warning label, especially in plastic bottles, everything in a plastic bottle should carry a warning of what LINES the inside.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Soda? What's soda?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
aa reply to: lovebeck

One more reason I am glad I never got the taste for pop. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You spelled soda wrong, must be from the mid west or east coast

Hey, leave the east coast out of that. It's called "DRINK" around here.

I have recently stopped drinking as much soda because I've started to get really bad stomach aches when I drink it. Most of the time I might have one a day, and it's usually a clear soda now. I'm drinking a lot more water and sports drinks now. Every time I drink coke I think of how phosphoric acid will eat rust and imagine what it's doing to the inside of my stomach.... makes me cringe.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Been drinking Mt.Dew for decades, hope the flavor doesn't change

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

We call it pop up here in yooperland.

Isn't BVO some sort of bromated oil or something?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Water is also a flame retardent, and is also in a lot of beverages.
Not at all saying BVO is good, just saying that "Oh, that chemical in that food is bad because it's used in shoe polish" is bad logic.

'Don't eat that, it's used in foot powder'

I just hate when people make those comparisons to add drama.

BVO makes a drink cloudy in appearance.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
While they're at it, they should seriously think about removing that brain rot junk aspartame, acesulfame P and the rest of the artifical, industrial waste brigade of sweeteners and replace it all with natural substitutes like Stevia etc.

Or, they can just go out of business their choice.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Down here in the south we call it cold drinks....so there to all of y'all.

Back on topic, It's been awhile since I've had a cold drink. My mom would always tell me that they were not good for me. Then one day I remember looking on the back at the ingredients to see what's in them. All I could say to myself was, what is this stuff I've been drinking.

Articles like this make me want to invest in a juicer and make my own juice from fresh fruit and vegetables.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I always called all sodas."coke".

I'm glad to hear this! Now just to get the artificial coloring out of foods! (Among other things!)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh
Mmmm, dreaming of white butter.

We've got to accept food the way it should be, not how we want it to appear.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I'm in SC and that's what they call them down here, "cokes." I'm originally from the northeast and we just called them sodas growing up.

Darn things can corrode metal over time....imagine what they do to your insides. Removed ingredient or not, they're still horrible. Wasn't there recent article about a mid-30s woman who drank so much every day it killed her? *shiver*

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I'm glad to hear this! Now just to get the artificial coloring out of foods! (Among other things!)

Mmmm, dreaming of white butter.

We've got to accept food the way it should be, not how we want it to appear.

They put Yellow 5 in pickles. Does that mean pickles are normally blue?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
But it still contains another flame retardant chemical.

Dihydrogen monoxide!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance
Which is by the way the leading cause or carrier of most human ailments.

Oh, and sugar, can be used as model rocket propelant, coloring can be used to colour plastics which is sometimes used in pooper scoopers.

Not to downgrade the unneccesary use of less than safe crap in our products, but different chemicals are used in a multitude of different applications, so don't scare monger by saying X chemical is used to clean ovens with and they put it in our daily bread too!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Now I am worried if I stop drinking Diet Coke I will catch on fire, better switch to milk.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I don't think that it's there to make it taste good because Pepsi and Gatorade taste like brominated urine. Yuck!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
a reply to: Sremmos80

Soda? What's soda?

Something sometimes mixed with Campari or used to spoil whiskey.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Another reason for me to not drink soda...now that sh#t might just blow up in my face.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join