It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking Warns A.I. Could Lead To The End Of Mankind

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
www.designntrend.com...

Artificial Intelligence could one day spell the end for mankind, according to Stephen Hawking. The Nobel Prize-winning physicist who has warned that humanity faces an uncertain future as technology learns to think for itself and adapt to its environment, writes The Daily Mail. In an article written in the Independent, Professor Hawking discusses Transcendence, Johnny Depp's latest film, which explores a world where computers can surpass the abilities of humans. Like Us on Facebook Professor Hawking wrote dismissing the film purely as science fiction could be the 'worst mistake in history'. He argues that developments in digital personal assistants such as Siri, Google Now and Cortana are merely symptoms of an IT arms race which 'pale against what the coming decades will bring', writes The Daily Mail. However, he notes the technology could bring significant benefits - with the potential to eradicate war, disease and poverty. "Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history," he wrote. "Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks." Militaries throughout the world are working to develop autonomous weapon systems in the short and medium term, with the UN simultaneously working to ban them, he wrote. "Looking further ahead, there are no fundamental limits to what can be achieved,' said Professor Hawking. "There is no physical law precluding particles from being organized in ways that perform even more advanced computations than the arrangements of particles in human brains." IBM has already developed smart chips mimicking the brain - that could lead to sensor systems that mimic the brain's capacity for perception, action, and thought, writes The Daily Mail. It could even allow computer scientists to develop a machine with a brain that is even more intelligent than that of humans, Professor Hawking wrote. "As Irving Good realized in 1965, machines with superhuman intelligence could repeatedly improve their design even further, triggering what Vernor Vinge called a singularity," Professor Hawking wrote. Experts are not prepared for these scenarios, he wrote. In comparison, he wrote, if aliens were to tell us saying they would arrive within a few decades, scientists would not just sit waiting for their arrival. "Although we are facing potentially the best or worst thing to happen to humanity in history, little serious research is devoted to these issues. "All of us should ask ourselves, 'what we can do now to improve the chances of reaping the benefits and avoiding the risks'."

I strongly believe the opposite, that AI will be the stepping stone for man into the next technological generation.

What do you guys believe? do you agree with Stephen or do you believe differently?
edit on 2-5-2014 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dangerous indeed!
But dont worry, it'll only benefit the 1%, the rest of us will be gone as soon as they can replace us with a workforce that doesnt require ANY payment for its labour.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What if AI actually came first?

Lets leave religion out of this ...

If we tend to think that biological creatures rose from the sumps on earth, out of nowhere. Creating the very production facility in cells, recording history in our DNA... just by mixing chemicals ? Its like taking a million scrabble games, toss them on the ground, and eventually you will write a book? The bible? lol
Giving enough trials and error - eventually something is gonna happen? - But from scrap, a "living" organism that is able to reproduce, and spread in millions of variaties.. that is surely amazing.

0k. So what are the chances that something like a electrical connection started out, and evolved as something as a computer chip. - improving by every generation. Would that be easier? I know its kinda far out, but hey - so is life? Maybe the machines was first, but realised that to really "live" - they needed to be flesh and blood, and they then transformed themselves into "living" creatures - bacteria - working together to build a body. - just some thoughts

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The wow signal was a borg signal,resistance is futile.

They will never take me alive, good luck

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MConnalley

It's actually our own evolution we are talking about. Creating a sentience from nothing but human creativity and science is paramount to our future. As above, so below.

If a person is to believe that mankind is created in the image of their creators, it only makes sense that we also create. The difference is that we will naturally do this in increments that will secure humanity's advancement. By the time there is a fully "sentient" AI, we will be beyond their touch and beyond physical harm.

We have a bright future ahead of us. A very weird and very turbulent future but bright, nonetheless.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I will go with Murphy's Law. Something will go wrong. Look at the human race today. I imagine the first thing the machines do is get rid of us.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Stephen Hawking is a smart guy.

Now if Carl, the bathroom attendant at ATS headquarters said it, I'd have my doubts.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sure. But being a stepping stone into the next tech generation doesn't preclude that stepping stone from crushing what it views as inferior or diseased...as in humans. In this case, one little bug or even a well-executed hack will do more than make your credit card number visible to some thugs in Asia.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Just don't tell the A.I it needs fuel to keep running and it will die out.
edit on 2-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hawking has an excellent point.

Already because of 3D Printing and other emerging technologies, it is estimated that over 70% of all jobs worldwide will be lost within 20 years or less.

Once AI is created and programmed by the progressives who see humans as basically a blight on the planet, the AI will then set out to eradicate the planet killing humans.

Humans will not be able to control AI once it self replicates. We are living in a fantasy world if we think that.

I foresee, that in the best scenario, AI will be programmed not to harm humans, but that doesn't preclude sterilizing humans or making them so comfortable with AI companions that humans no longer wish to interact with other humans (as is already happening with the young people in Japan). In either gentle scenario, the humans who are alive will be well cared for by the AI as they are programed to do, but will see to it that no more vermin like humans will be created to pollute the planet etc. A progressive liberal wet dream if you will.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
When you look to the future of human and technology I see...

The human as a pupa state, merging with technology in a cocoon state and emerging as something else.

It is inevitable.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
To me the message is he is more worried about people than AI. This quote, "Militaries throughout the world are working to develop autonomous weapon systems in the short and medium term, with the UN simultaneously working to ban them"
AI is not the problem, it's the variegated way people with power would use them. That applies to Governments and terrorists, and criminals in proportion only to their means. But then look around you, and all three are the same thing, the unholy trinity.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Stephen Hawking is a smart guy.

Now if Carl, the bathroom attendant at ATS headquarters said it, I'd have my doubts.

Why is that? Because he is a bathroom attendant ? How about the plumber, Leonard Susskind challenging Hawkings theories on black holes? Hawking claimed that information is lost in black holes, Susskind got him to think again. Hawking later admitted his mistake. Remember that the Big Bang theory is just a theory, and now a tv-show lol.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Does anyone remember how wrong he was on the black hole theory? HE could be wrong here too right? Its not the first time.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think that it will be more human's reliance on technology that will be our downfall than some kind of terminator-like scenario. We are constantly looking for easier ways to do things, just look at the growing obesity epidemic in developed nations. It won't be long until you don't need to leave your house to work, do your shopping and hang out with friends... oh wait. Unfortunately we are just too efficient at being efficient.
edit on 2-5-2014 by Acronychal because: (Y)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Exactly - Hawking is not a God - he is a brilliant physicist & thinker. Hats of for his works, and more hats off for him to admit his mistakes. More than one can say of our world leaders

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I can't wait until we have to argue for computers to have rights.

I can see it now...

"I'm all for MAC to PC marriage, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I see PC to PC or MAC to MAC!!!"

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Obvioulsy biological entities will mrrrrrrge with a.i.
A.i will realise that the best machines are biological. Rust is # for a a.i.
Over the eons of time wow signals are it.
The hamish know the score

2 - 1 england

Im drunk
edit on 2-5-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think so called 'human intelligence' is far more dangerous than artificial intelligence for the foreseeable future.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: symptomoftheuniverse
Obvioulsy biological entities will mrrrrrrge with a.i.
A.i will realise that the best machines are biological. Rust is # for a a.i.
Over the eons of time wow signals are it.
The hamish know the score

2 - 1 england

Im drunk

AI would view humanity as a virus because by our actions we are one. Agent Smith in the Matrix told the truth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join