It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of the word "Troll"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
As far as I can tell. 90% of people on the internet use the word troll incorrectly. Therefore, I am making this post to explain what a troll is and what a troll isn't.

What a troll is:
-Someone who gets their kicks by trying to inspire an emotion in you. Some trolls try to make people mad. Some try to make people laugh. Some even tell really sad or inpirational stories to get people to cry. Some trolls have even been known to impersonate celebrities to make people really excited.

-Someone who thrives on drama, by turning people against each other and watching the ensuing hilarity.

-Anyone who replies to this rant by calling me a troll.

What a troll is not:
-Someone offering a differing viewpoint. (Unless it's overtly ridiculous, like "We should kill all of the mentally handicapped")

-Someone who misspoke or said something without thinking. (See also: Cliven Bundy "Negro" Speech)

-Someone who doesn't understand something or requests clarification.

Learn what the word means and please use it correctly. Don't call everyone who doesn't agree with you a troll.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: scolai

Also a word people use when they don't have any argument in a debate....

Backed into a corner? Call them a troll... prove you're an idiot...

edit on 2-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Get back under your bridge, you troll.

No one asked for your opinion!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Troll.....every member in congress and all those other politician's and all those that carry out their agendas.......Troll

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 19KTankCommander

Also, corporations that make a profit off of war and then get people to support them for doing so ... the ultimate trolls.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I used to be called "Troll" back in High School. Not because of the interwebz though (they weren't invented yet), but rather because of my build. Short, stocky and muscular. (Yea, I played football )

My nickname has been besmirched!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
We don't use that word over here sir, here are called shills and are accused (without prof) of being paid by the government to hide the truth.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

That reminds me of occupy. Everyone called everyone else a troll, a shill, or a cop and nothing got done. Suprise suprise.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
We don't use that word over here sir, here are called shills and are accused (without prof) of being paid by the government to hide the truth.

yup...disagree once with something that has no proof....shill

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I think I am going to get the boat ready so I can go trolling this summer. Trolling is fun.

edit on 2-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
In Michigan, 'troll' describes people who live in the lower peninsula

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'd say another example might be someone who maintains a position about something even after many other members have offered evidence that contradict their position - essentially prove them wrong - yet they still maintain that they are right.

Maybe the word for those people would be "moron"?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'll admit I've used the shill word before in the chemtrail forum, and thats probably the only place Id ever use it. I think that there are definately shills over there because they seem to be obsessed with debunking, they post a ton of threads/replies, and their words regularily contain condescension, arrogance and insults. Hallmarks of a shill imo.

There's my confession. Im not sorry nor do I ask for forgiveness.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I wouldn't go as far as to call them morons -- maybe they're just stuck in their ways and unteachable. It's not stupidity. It's ignorance.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Missed one: While fishing (for fish of course) to "troll" is to drop a baited line and drag it to see if anything takes the bait. Hook, line and sinker.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I agree with what you had to say. I am frustrated that people use the term wrong as well, but currently working on not caring.

At the end of the day, language is only what the majority agrees for it to be. For example: The word "literately" changed meaning because people kept using it wrong.

That's how the world works apparently...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Once in a while it fits. But mostly it doesn't. IMHO.

new topics

top topics

join