It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigar shaped UFO photographed by NASA?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This one is tough to explain away. Here is the original source, NASA/JPL images.

JPL images

Note the time stamps on the pictures towards the middle of the screen. You will see a long object, or light, descend towards the horizon.

1. It is not likely a meteor, IMO, as it has no tail and is moving slowly.
2. Not a hoax, as these are NASA images.

It would appear to be some sort of manufactured object, as I am not aware of such cylindrical, light-emitting objects that moves this way.

I would add a photo, but need to research how to do so.

I didn't see this posted, please lock if already up on the site.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Jchristopher5

You are kidding right?

There is every reason to suspect that the reason for the shape of the object in the image, is due to the object being in motion at the time of capture, relative to the martian soil, from which position the shots were taken. It is more than likely a motion blurred Phobos, or perhaps some other orbiting space rock of lesser station.

There is certainly nothing which makes me instantly jump to OMG! ITSACIGARSHAPETHEREFOREUFO LOL LOL LOL LOL!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That is Phobos, a moon of Mars.

See this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-5-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
That's a planet. The elongation is from camera exposure.

Edit: Or a moon apparently, as per more familiar users.

Here's a better picture:

Original Image
edit on 1-5-2014 by lemmin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments. I didn't realize it was a moon. The exposure didn't appear to be long. Nothing else in the sky seems to be Lessing such a trail of exposure.

Yet, everyone seems confident. Glad to give a few of you a laugh or two, I suppose.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Not sure why people piled on quite so much — no call for that really. Anyway, the reason Phobos appears so elongated is that it orbits Mars very fast: in just over 7 and a half hours.

Im not sure of the exposure time for this image, but looking at the time stamps there was just less than two minutes between photos, and the streaks almost "join up" if you overlay the images so the exposures must have been almost as long as that.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48
No issue, I have thick skin.

There have been a few light anomalies on Mars images recently, and it looks like I jumped the gun.

Sorry to everyone who is disappointed. Those who are glad to see a believer mocked for their over-eagerness, I don't care if I disappointed.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Thanks for posting even if it is only Phobos. I like space enough to appreciate every picture of it I see.

Regardless of whether this is a space rock (probably a space rock) or something else, this is what ATS is for. Utilizing the brains of various intelligent users to come to a conclusion on various subjects. :-)
edit on 1-5-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

Yes it is a nice image. I found this brief mention of it on the "Red Planet Report": definitely Phobos.

redplanet.asu.edu...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Or......it's solar warden. Hence the dogpile.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Don't you know that some ATSers know EVERYTHING ! Get it straight.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jchristopher5
This one is tough to explain away.

It's Phobos in a time-lapse photo.

Gosh, that wasn't so hard.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Apparently Phobos moves about half a degree across the Martian sky per minute, going horizon to horizon in just over three and a half hours (source).

That is about the apparent diameter of the Earth's moon in the sky as seen from Earth: so imagine an object moving across the sky at a rate that would see it crossing the face of the moon in 1 minute. Pretty speedy, so no surprise it appears blurred in a long exposure.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I wonder how many shots of things Curiosity has seen that are very interesting, that NASA for whatever reason has decided against releasing, that's what I really wonder about. There are 2 Nasas, the public and the secret.

edit on 01pm31pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: data5091

If NASA wanted to hide stuff on Mars, they could... oh, I dunno, NOT spend a load of cash on launching rovers there and beaming thousands of photos back and making them freely available.

Why the hell would NASA want to hide anything on Mars anyway?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
My opinion is based on how they treat/deal with the ufo issue.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Why the hell would NASA want to hide anything on Mars anyway? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good question. Maybe a better question would be " what are the consequences of NASA telling us the truth"?

I'm sure I know at least one reason why the persistent silence..

Think about the effect it will have on them.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was looking for the left NavCam pictures to go with the right hand ones, I didn't find any for that timestamp.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think the riddle maybe solved then

But star for you OP, more people/digger/observers like you are much needed of we're ever to find a smoking gun

Nice catch

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Again? And tough to explain? Jeez....This is one of thousands of photos taken just like this over the last 50+ years. Its no different than any of them....almost all of which, were explained.

But, perhaps its your 1st photo to go "WOW!" over. Calm down....its nothing. Like most of the rest (Notice I said MOST...certainly not all).

The longer you stay on ATS, the wiser you'll become! I'd suggest reading some of the "explanations" of ATS'rs here. Its nothing.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: well

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join