Cigar shaped UFO photographed by NASA?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48
a reply to: Jchristopher5
Not sure why people piled on quite so much — no call for that really. Anyway, the reason Phobos appears so elongated is that it orbits Mars very fast: in just over 7 and a half hours.

Im not sure of the exposure time for this image, but looking at the time stamps there was just less than two minutes between photos, and the streaks almost "join up" if you overlay the images so the exposures must have been almost as long as that.

I wonder why such a long exposure time?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

It may have been because the rover was night side of the planet, and required as much exposure time as possible in order to record an image containing acceptable levels of detail.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

No, these night-time shots are subframe portions of just one navcam as far as I know.

As for covering up UFOs, aliens etc, that's just stupid. One of the main goals of exploring the solar system is to look for signs of extraterrestrial life. If any evidence were found it would be the scientific discovery of the millennium.

I'm quite sure there is alien life elsewhere in the universe, but all the evidence so far has failed to find any in our solar system outside Earth.

But out solar system is such a tiny piece of the universe that you would hardly expect to find alien life here. It would be like dipping a teacup into the ocean at random and expecting to pull up a fish.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
There is some kind of party going on in the background, and this makes me put my money on some balloons. Think about it. A balloon vender let his big column of white balloons go at the end of the festival, and some of the balloons are becoming untied. That seems to be the best explanation to me.

Looks like a weather balloon that is dropping its weather telemetry payload. These balloons are not completely filled and form an elongated shape with a bulge at the upper end, and are often made of mylar or other highly reflective materials. Notice how the shape on the video is slightly curved to the right, indicating warping by winds. When they reach a certain altitude, these balloons automatically jettison their equipment via a small parachute, and the equipment is retrieved while the balloon goes on its way to oblivion.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
While I understand the explanation from yesterday, a new story on this photo capture was posted on the Examiner, by Dr. Michael Salla.

Link

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Jchristopher5

Just another example of why Examiner.com is not a news source. Anyone can post any old tripe on there with no fact-checking or editorial control.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

No, these night-time shots are subframe portions of just one navcam as far as I know.

As for covering up UFOs, aliens etc, that's just stupid. One of the main goals of exploring the solar system is to look for signs of extraterrestrial life. If any evidence were found it would be the scientific discovery of the millennium.

I'm quite sure there is alien life elsewhere in the universe, but all the evidence so far has failed to find any in our solar system outside Earth.

But out solar system is such a tiny piece of the universe that you would hardly expect to find alien life here. It would be like dipping a teacup into the ocean at random and expecting to pull up a fish.

No, I was just asking about Navcam B left, I dinny know about any Aliens.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

It may have been because the rover was night side of the planet, and required as much exposure time as possible in order to record an image containing acceptable levels of detail.

Yes, I was thinking from the point of view of photographing Phobos which although a very dark surface, is still very bright from Mars, easily captured by Curiosity in a couple of seconds.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

A couple of seconds is a long time in photography circles.

I mean, I have a compact camera, but a friend of mine has a massive hardon for phototgraphy. The fellow does not use a couple of seconds of exposure unless there is not enough light available in order to make a shot possible.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

That part wasn't directed at you

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So, these are Vesta and Ceres detected by Mastcam?

The images with the other two cylindrical "objects" were detected by Navcam and in two different Sols.

These are the same anomalies?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Images NewShare0Share0 0 6First Asteroid Image from the Surface of Mars (Annotated Version)
First Asteroid Image from the Surface of Mars (Annotated)
The Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover has captured the first image of an asteroid taken from the surface of Mars. The night-sky image actually includes two asteroids: Ceres and Vesta, plus one of Mars' two moons, Deimos, which may have been an asteroid before being captured into orbit around Mars. The image was taken after nightfall on the 606th Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's work on Mars (April 20, 2014, PDT). In other camera pointings the same night, the Mastcam also imaged Mars' larger moon, Phobos, plus the planets Jupiter and Saturn.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
I think the riddle maybe solved then

But star for you OP, more people/digger/observers like you are much needed of we're ever to find a smoking gun

Nice catch

What do you mean "nice catch"? The images were posted by NASA on the public website where all the other rover images are posted, and news articles about the Phobos captures were posted on the usual places (Red Planet Report etc) too. Don't make out like this is some secret pic that someone has unearthed!

Posting a picture that you think looks a bit funny without taking a few minutes to ascertain what it is does not constitute "research" in my book.

Rant over

Anyway now let's do some DENYING IGNORANCE...

Here is what you should have seen from the approximate location of Curiosity at 4:52:15 on 2014-04-28 (obviously the Stellarium landscape doesn't show the hill in front of the rover)

And here is the image captured at that time: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Four minutes later at 4:56:09:

And the Curiosity image: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

How about the latest series of images from sol 619? (Sorry the GIF comes out so huge!)

It's a rising moon, and again, looking at Stellarium we see Phobos rising in the west at just the right time:

Time of first image in series:

And last image in series:

Conclusion: Both "cylinders" are just Phobos, captured by the rover as it set and rose respectively.

Why does it appear as a streak? Because the exposure length is very long: two minutes for the Sol 613 images and more like three minutes for the Sol 619 ones. Phobos's angular diameter as seen from Mars is about 0.1-0.2 degrees (it varies), and in two minutes it travels about 1 degree across the sky. So the length of the image should be very approximately 5 to 10 times its width, and a little more for the sol 619 images. Looks about right to me...
edit on 6-5-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm just wondering how you conclude they are 'objects.' Anomalies on an image, that's all. An understanding of photography would stop these speculative statements.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Colbomoose
I'm just wondering how you conclude they are 'objects.' Anomalies on an image, that's all. An understanding of photography would stop these speculative statements.

See above. Each "anomaly" consists of six consecutive frames, which just so happen to perfectly match the position, angle, speed and direction of Phobos as it sets and rises. And we know that MSL is deliberately taking images of the moon as it rises and sets. Who is speculating exactly?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Well done Rob. Well done.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
A quick visit to the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum will clear up any questions or confusion. The folk there know what they're talking about.

They are long-exposure shots of Phobos setting and rising.

Here's a colour short-exposure of the same event from the Mastcam:

P.S. Shame a similar topic at Space Exploration forum was locked by the mods. It's clearly a space exploration topic, not a UFO one.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why do we always look for answers using our concept of physics if there are beings out there thousands of years more advanced than us then we need to start thinking out of the box our physics just wont cut it

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: davyboy
Why do we always look for answers using our concept of physics if there are beings out there thousands of years more advanced than us then we need to start thinking out of the box our physics just wont cut it

Are you suggesting that Phobos is an advanced being or some form of spacecraft, rather than a rocky moon of Mars?

new topics
top topics

<< 1   >>

join