It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Optics Advice...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
As the title states I need advice on optics. The rifle needing eyes is a POF-308 so a monolithic AR-10. I got the rifle to fill the all important all around role...but since I have it and live in Florida I intend to go hog hunting. So for optics I'm leaning toward either a 1-4x32mm or a 2.5-10x44mm with a mini rds at the 1 o' clock or so. I would like to hear from our knowledgeable members on what the better options are keeping the scope under 7-800$ so far the Nikon M308 and Vortex Viper PST have my eye.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
As the title states I need advice on optics.

The Nikon's a fine scope. Most of the scopes I have are Swarovski, Nikon or Springfield Armory.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those scopes...I've heard the glass on Vortex scopes is supposed to be surprisingly good. Always wanted to try one but haven't had the chance yet.

Personally, Leupold has never disappointed me. Some of their scopes are pricey but there are some very solid selections in their product line that are under your 700-800 range.

The Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8x36mm is a good all around scope with excellent reviews - right around $400-450

Nice rifle by the way...
edit on 29-4-2014 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Always go with the bigger objective lens diameter. the bigger the lens the greater light gathering it has. 44 and 50 mm are pretty standard. I have seen 75mm scopes but that's more a specialty or 'Mine is bigger and yours' rather then being practical under normal use.

One thing you should know, is that cheaper scopes,( and by that I mean construction and quality more than I mean price.) veritable powered scopes, as in your 2.5-10x44mm ... can change zero as you change the magnification.

in other words if you zero your rifle at 2,5 mag then crank up the power to 10... your zero (point of impact) may have changed too... in some cases quite a lot!... my advice pick a power you can live with and leave it there.

Also turning up the power also limits your field of view and you certainly do not want tunnel vision when you got a big ole bore charging at ya.

I can't really tell you what to buy as we all like different things and have different uses for.
Living in Colorado where ranges really open up I went with a SR-25 ECR
and topped her with a Trijicon TR22-2

Don't let the MSRP of 1,220.00 scare you... I got mine from Midway for just over $700 so it pays to shop around.

I'm sure you know not to buy cheap Wal-Mart scopes and why... but another common mistake is in cheeping out on the mounts, rings and bases. Do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff.

hope this helps some

edit on 29-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What type of terrain are you talking when you hog hunt? Up here you have HEAVY brush. Lucky to get a good scope sighting.

I perfer red-dot. I use a Tru-Glo www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398791101&sr=8-1&keywords=tru+glo

•Adjustable rheostat for brightness control; click windage and elevation adjustment; 24-by-34-millimeter window for ultra-fast target acquisition
•Anti-reflection coating on target side; parallax free from 30 yards; integrated Weaver-style mounting system.
The 30 yds parallax free is crucial for me.

My two cents. **And yes, I could buy a more expensice red-dot. However, I refuse to pay more than I put the gun together for (450).

(FYI- I also put on a 1 inch riser: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398791788&sr=8-2&keywords=1+inch+riser (it stops just under the red-dot).

When I do, I can use the Peep sight (though the 1 inch riser opening). Or up to the red dot window, just above the riser area (without or without the red-dot on)

Or go slightly above to the scope, on High Profile scope rings: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1398791943&sr=8-15&keywords=high+profile+scope+rings - so you can see through the mounts-for the long shot (zeroed in at 300 w/ 62 grain Federal "Green Tip").

Then I have a Close combat scope to top it off: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398792070&sr=8-1&keywords=Combat+scope

I took a combat tactical training course and the instructor started off by saying "Way to much on that weapon" but at the end of the day, I took 2nd overall on the course. Lost to a LEO who is on a shooting team.

And, may I suggest any AR owner consider using a B.A.D. lever:store.magpul.com...

Want a pic of it-u2u me.

edit on 4/29/2014 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I'm thinking the furthest shot I'd be taking out here is 300yrds I'm not confident I could produce a kill shot 100% of the time much further (something I will be learning to remedy) but when I go back out west after school I'll probably be in the NM/CO area so longer shots and bigger game. That's part of the reason I was looking into the 2.5-10x range. Brush is variable depending on where I'm hunting. I have been reading up on first focal plane and second focal plane which is what your talking about with POI shift. From what I've read this should be minimal as long as I keep under 6x the 10x setting would be for checking hits at the range and stalking but like I said 300yrds is kinda my comfort zone right now. Also I'm pretty set on a burris fastfire II at 1 o'clock and optics planet has em for about 200$ so not too shabby there. I appreciate your thoughts guys. I'm the kinda guy who spends a few months deciding before I spend big money...hell it took 6 months of reading before I settled on the POF (also I can't afford an LWRC lol).
edit on 29-4-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I like the Burris XTR series of scopes, though the scope turret knobs turn a bit mushy. I have a Burris XTR 1-4X, along with a Burris FastFire, mounted on top of the supplied rings and mount; on top of one of my AR's. Burris also has a 1.5-8X XTR, that I'd look into.

But if I had my druthers...I''d pick a Valdada 1-10x 24 mm
edit on 30-4-2014 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those scopes...I've heard the glass on Vortex scopes is supposed to be surprisingly good. Always wanted to try one but haven't had the chance yet.

I will second the Vortex brand. Stay away from the bottom end, as it is Chinese glass made in China. I bought one about 5 years ago and after 3 shots on an M41/M1A, the reticule started to rotate.

Go with the mid level, which is Japanese glass assembled in the Philippians, or the high end which is Japanese glass assembled in Japan.

They have a lifetime warranty and are based out of Madison, WI.

Great to deal with, friendly and quick to correct any issues.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

How's your cheek weld when you transfer to the mrds up top? I have heard it causes at the least an adjustment and for some they have to lose cheek weld all together to get the proper eye alignment. I think I wanna use a gear sector surefire x series mount so its low profile but just off at 1 o'clock. I have practiced a bit and it seemed with the imagined site that its an easy transfer as well as the same cheek weld.
edit on 30-4-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

That's exactly why I was doing my research diligently before I buy because I know that utg stuff won't last long on a .308 with the recoil involved. I wish I could just do a HAMR and be done with it...maybe for christmas lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The Leupold VX-3

Is quite nice and fits the mold for what you seem to be searching for. It is also within your price range at an MSRP of $749.99. You could likely find this rifle scope for $675-720 NIB.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Also I'm pretty set on a burris fastfire II at 1 o'clock and optics planet has em for about 200$ so not too shabby there. I appreciate your thoughts guys.

You sound like you're doing your homework so I won't bore you with specific equipment recommendations. I would say that every time I've dropped $$$ on cheap glass, my expectations fell through the floor.

I'm the kinda guy who spends a few months deciding before I spend big money...hell it took 6 months of reading before I settled on the POF (also I can't afford an LWRC lol).

If you're taking your time, my strongest recommendation is to shop just before dusk. Take the scope outside and verify its performance in diminishing light. If you can find a shop with a high-end Leupold for side-by-side comparison, you'll see what I'm saying.

If you were seeking advice strictly for this specific rifle and hog hunting at < 300 yds, the EOTech line of red dots would be what I reached for first.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yea best I got here is 7:30 as a closing time at most shops. I like the Leupold stuff but then I get to hurting for the HAMR or their new 1-6x stuff…I think I have settled on Vortex as long as it's their middle to higher end stuff it's all glass made in the Philippines. I am not trying to make my scope a CQB sight…that's what the MRDS is for…the 50 maybe even 100 yrd stuff. I am alright on EOTech stuff but I don't like fixed zoom as much and I want a proper reticule for target comp at range.
edit on 1-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

This is exactly what I am looking at at the moment
Scope

MRDS

Mount

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

This is exactly what I am looking at at the moment
Scope

Give me a hard look at the parallax on this one. It may be a cost saving measure on otherwise outstanding glass ... but it does look like a serious limitation for a 10X scope. YMMV

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I am not sure I'm following ya...can you explain what you mean?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Something you might want to look into is learning to use a Mil-dot scope.

I was taught to use one by a real Marine Sniper--- that old man could Shoot !!!!

anyway once I learned to use it I don't have to worry about dialing in range or windage.

I set the BZO at the range--- then in the field I just count the dots in the scope to make adjustments.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Are you talking about Parallax?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

I wasn't but I think snarl was I just wasn't following...I could be wrong though.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I am not sure I'm following ya...can you explain what you mean?

There are some informative videos on YouTube which cover the subject of parallax in-depth. I only brought it up, as you mention target shooting. Won't be much of a factor if you're mostly hunting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join