It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Of ATS, Do You Feel Respected Here?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I am pretty new and so far I have been treated with kindness and respect by all.
I disagree with the flirting thread as nobody has flirted with me here, or maybe I'm mature enough to understand when a wink and a joke are just that, a wink an a joke and somebody being friendly.
I agree with a poster above, most males at ATS are true gentlemen.

And I certainly don't expect men here to treat me softly just because I am a lady....but if they are ever not nice to me, i can always make a batch of yummy cupcakes to change their attitude!

lol

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
As a male member all I can say is the women here mostly scare the hell out of me. Take no prisoners and all that stuff.

It's a combination of being from New England (we are brassy) and five years in the Army and add on top of that an addiction to NHL hockey ... and I guess that explains things a bit about me, eh?

You know you females need to dial it back a notch. Where's that blueberry pie you're supposed to be making?

How about you make it and then serve it to us women?

Most people think I"m a guy, probably because of my screen name - FlyersFan. You'd think the female avatar picture would be a hint. But for some reason most don't get it or something. So if someone disrespects me ... I nail them to the floor and then wipe my feet on what's left of their writhing decimated body parts as I exit the thread in full glory. bwahahahaaaaaa

edit on 4/28/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
I think FF can be a bit rough at times and make up for some of the guys .Maybe she balances it out lol I can only assume she get's it from her choice of hockey teams :>) I wonder if they are still in the play offs .

The Flyers are still in the playoffs. We lost yesterday to the Rangers 4-2. The series is 3 games for the Rangers and 2 games for the Flyers. I doubt we'll get far in the playoffs. Our goalie Mason had his bell rung by the Pens on the last game of the season and Emery isn't a suitable playoff goalie.
edit on 4/28/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Good thread Domo.

I found that before people started realizing I was a woman after being on ATS shows that most people thought I was a man, especially in threads, I would get a bunch, "you got that right dude", or "great thread man", which I would correct, but when I had a "woman" friendly avatar, things were not as nice, but that was a few years ago.

I find that as long as no one knows your a woman and you go into a male pity party rant thread, its safe, but speak up on the behalf of women on it, AND be a woman, and the mud starts slinging!

I still say, bring it on guys, I LOVE everyone on this site, and my intolerance for either sex is purely based on their stupidity.... and nothing else

Peace, NRE.

BTW, when I would correct that I was a woman in those threads, I usually dont get a reply in return LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: Domo1

Where's that blueberry pie you're supposed to be making?

It's loaded onto the pie launcher aimed directly at your puss. Want whipped cream with that??
(I jest)

@ Domo1: There have been times in the past when I felt totally disrespected by male posters here, but I think perhaps it was more my problem than it was theirs. If anything being a part of ATS for this long has given me a thicker skin and the ability to stand up for (and more importantly BACK UP) my stance on any given subject...and that's not a bad thing.
edit on 28-4-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I don't recall ever being made to feel as if I didn't belong or that my opinion wasn't just as valid as anyone else's. Then again, my screen name is ambiguous enough that people may not have even realized I was a woman until I started using my own picture as an avatar. But honestly, if I ever felt I was being treated that way, I'd be sure to make the offending party know that I don't put up with that kind of nonsense

edit on 28-4-2014 by U4ea82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Would someone be so kind as to link the thread on flirting that you're referencing? I feel out of the loop and would like to see what it was that was said.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Oh where to begin. . . . . .

If they spent more time in the kitchen-. . .nope. Wrong way to start!

I feel for the women here sometimes. I've actually been on the receiving end with my crying, sad little avatar, I've actually gotten U2U's that were suggestive in nature.

When I point out that I am a middle-aged man with a wife and children, they see the error of their ways, for the most part.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I spoke too soon. I just got an " hey that's totally off topic but your avatar is HOT" reply on another thread.
And admittedly I gave an uncomfortable thank you and high tailed it outta there. So not cool but hey, it's just one member. I still love you ATS! However I am questioning changing my avatar now...and that makes me a little sad.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
There is no Gender on the internet.

If you do say it, the consequences that follow are all your own fault.

It is just bunch of faceless users collaborating,discussing and debating ideas.

There suppose to be some special treatment for women or something on the internet that i'm missing?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: U4ea82
I spoke too soon. I just got an " hey that's totally off topic but your avatar is HOT" reply on another thread.

Yeah, I get that also!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

Well, your avatar IS hot. But you chose it for a reason, so don't change it (unless you want to).
My avatar was chosen for a plethora of reasons...hotness NOT being one of them, lol...but many people here now identify that pic with me, and I'm fine with that.

As for respect here? Yes, actually...I do feel much respect from many members. More so than in real life, honestly. I'm a feminine female, tall and slim with long blonde hair. People look at me and assume I'm dumb.
At least here members pay attention to what I have to say, and I like that very much.

There was one particular thread where a member had such vitriolic hate for women that I was stunned...had never encountered such during my life. I decided to assume it was a cultural misconception, however being told that we women were undeserving of a fair and equal life due to gender? That made me more sad than angry.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Sorry it happens to you too
Though I have to say, your avatar IS pretty adorable. I mean a sad bunny... I loves me some bunny rabbit and the tears just ratchet the cuteness up to an unbearable level
However, it doesn't make me want to send you a dirty u2u....and nothing about it made me immediately think you were a woman.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I have always been made to feel comfortable here at ATS. Never been hit on or harassed by any of the regular members. Always treated with respect.
I remember last year or the year before there were some of us ladies that were getting bizarre private messages from a guy who obviously had some "issues" but we reported him to the mods and he was dealt with pretty sharpish.

The occasional venomous thread by the angry/recently/dumped/all women are gold digging tramps guys are pretty amusing.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
There suppose to be some special treatment for women or something on the internet that i'm missing?

I think the OP was saying that it's the other way around. When people find out that a woman is behind the avatar, then people don't treat them as respectfully as they treat the men. The OP was asking if anyone felt like that.

It's only happened to me a few times ... and by the usual couple of posters who come from a culture that demeans women. So I kinda chuckle at it ... them having to deal with an educated woman who actually gets to talk back to them. I enjoy the thought of how uncomfortable they are ... I enjoy it a whole lot.
(again, bwahahahahaaaa)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I thank you for that. See you saying it felt entirely different, you said it in a way that wasn't condescending or skeevy, and in no way made me feel objectified. The other person felt the need to make me feel stupid first, and that gave it a decidedly creepy undertone. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, it's sort of hard to articulate that kind of feeling.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The whole "bunny" theme started a few years before ATS. When I was in the Army, our unit played fantasy Football.

All the guys had "macho" names.

Mine?

The Fluffy Bunnies.

Because the only thing worse than having the name,"The Fluffy Bunnies", is being beaten by a team named "The Fluffy Bunnies".

As for gender confusion, I'm not mistaken for a woman so much as I'm being mistaken for a young girl.

Which would be so much worse if I didn't have such an awesome crush on Justin Beiber.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

In my own personal experience, when someone finds out that the poster is women, other members suck up to them.

Some women purposely release this information in the forum to get such treatment.

Some morons are too desperate that they would try to woo a women on the internet(without knowing anything but just the posters assurance that they are a women).

I also have met many guys who post with feminine avatars.

Be it Games, forums or online chat.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

You are most welcome!
It's hard not to have an emotional response to other people, but I have reached a place where I consider anything 'they' say to be a reflection of them...nothing to do with me.
Anyone who feels the need to be suggestive to a stranger...or rude/nasty...is just showing who they really are, right? Most of us here show respect, and realize that we are here to talk/discuss.

If anyone upsets me in a thread now, I just remove myself from the thread. I've never received a nasty u2u (yet), but if I ever do, it will also be ignored. I'm not here to feed the fire of someone who lives to torment others.
Be you, be proud, be vocal.
Ignore the idiots and they will find another 'victim'.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

Now that is awesome! I could totally see how being beaten by a fluffy bunny would extra humiliating.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join