It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"clock stoppers" the movie, I dont think its right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
ok, lets say that u basically went the speed of light like in the movie, and theoretically time stops for you personally. so if u were to travel a hundred light years away at the speed of light, it would take u no time at all to get there, but to people on earth, it would take u a 100 years to get their. so the thing is, if u did stop time for yerself by going 186K MPS, would the other people also stop to you because yer going so fast, and pick up where u stopped the watch. cause if that was so, it would take EVERYONE watching the space ship going away 100 light years no time at all, so maybe the person with the watch that stopped time thoughtno one was moving, but in reality they were, and everything was mixed up till he let time go normal. this is kinda confusing, anyoen no what would happen to the people if a guy did have that kind of watch?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

if u were to travel a hundred light years away at the speed of light, it would take u no time at all to get there

Actually I think it would take 100 years. A light year is the distance light travels in a year.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Hm well, I'm not too sure what you're asking - punctuation would help.

But here's what Einstein's theory of relativity (best model at the moment, been verified extensivley):

People can't move at the speed of light - it's the universal speed limit, only things that have no mass like photons can move that fast. But let's say that you're moving so close to the speed of light that it doesn't make a difference. Theoretically, your mass would be infinity (mass as in resistance to force, not actual matter). According to the postulates of relativity, you would expereince time exactly like normal - however, time you observe happening on earth to you would always be the same. Eventually, you would return to earth, and you'd feel as though you'd aged 200 years, although the people on earth would have aged much, much longer. (assuming you're accelerating at a pretty speedy clip).

I know this is confusing, but always remember, that there is not one set "time" for every part of the universe -time is defined only locally. WHich is why I tend to smirk at the time travel crowd, because really, every time you accelerate you're effectivley commiting time travel.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
you said it. it doesnt work because it doesnt. we cant go at the speed of light.

the rest has been taken care of by Sfrog.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
can light-travel be measured as a speed or as energy. as we see it impossiple. as we veiw it all laws occure to it speed. what if the travel at the of light was possible, if your were to look for me as i was traveling the speed of light you would not see me, to me my mass would not have to laws of this time in hypersapce i see your time at almost stop or very slow motion. einstien says it is impossible as a rest mass but this was his view on earth, real time is parallel to the equavilent of light speed. as we konow mass increases with velocity light travel is a whole different system of movment as your body has no mass relavent to the laws we have made.

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
From what I can see

your confusion stems from the Twin Paradox (and the multiple other complexities of relavity).

Think of this.

Person A traveling VERY close to the speed of light has a body that doesn't age.

Person B traveling about half the speed of light has a body that ages slightly slower than people around him.

YET, person B will still see person A as moving at the speed of light.

Do you know why? Because the speed of light is the same from ALL points of reference.

It wouldn't even matter if they were flying TOWARDS each other, person B wouldn't see person A moving towards him at 1.5 times the speed of light, it would still just be the speed of light. The only difference will be that person A is blue shifted (has more energy).

The reason why is time dilation. Since time slows down for person B slightly, he'll still see person A move the same distance within a certain dilated time period as he would if he was standing still (in which case he'd measure the same distance traveled by person A within that non-dilated time period).

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
And to add to the discussion, of course its not right-Because its a hollywood movie.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
ok thanks for making it clear, id would like to know at the time reference iam moving the speed of light and time around me is supposidly has slowd down to stop, and you see nothing but i see you then i become energy mph does not matter and mass does occure you would either see nothing or a color spectrum of a rainbow. i could travel from point A to point B() in hyper space and it would take 2 min in my perspective and it would take you to travel it in 2 min in your perspaective but time has not changed for me, but it has for you. iam not saying my body particles are moving in hyperspace iam saying the vehicle iam in is. the wear and tear would only occure to the vehicle iam in, not me.

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Trust me, if you read up a bit on the "Twin Paradox" it will become MUCH more clear to you.

Explanations to the Twin Paradox pretty much cover every question I think you're asking (though you could improve a bit on your grammar to make it easier for some of us).

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Dark Matter is mass in energy form, this occures by a blackhole sending mass between the opposite universe of the anti-particle mass.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum
And to add to the discussion, of course its not right-Because its a hollywood movie.

LOL...that's exactly what I was going to say. This is a film for entertainment not meant to be taken literally!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
i need an eqation fordark matter

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by THORASGARD
i need an eqation fordark matter

good luck. DM, by definition, once you find it, stops being DM.

top topics

join