It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientism: The worship of modern mainstream science

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: vasaga
why should I respond to replies saying that the car is not black, while I was talking about a horse being black? Especially when it's clear they are unwilling and/or unable to see the problem due to their own scientism? The ones who can see the problem will see it. The ones who can not, will fight to the death to protect the system they are attached to.

100% correct...

Religion BLINDS you to reality because it is one huge mind control operation.

The religion of Scientific fundamentalism is no exception.

Religion and Science are BOTH Illuminati mind control propaganda.

The stealth agenda behind both is to HIDE the truth.

BOTH are nothing but MASSIVE forms of mind control and propaganda.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: vasaga
My point is that we need to start differentiating between science and scientism, and be aware and critical of scientism since it's a religion masquerading as science, and even modern scientists are not exempt from this behavior.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to attend the church of scientism. The problem is that you want to say that anyone who shares a scientific idea that they saw on the tube the night before is a devout "scientisian". That just isn't true.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: EnPassant

What a load of tripe. What you really mean is that science is exploding your precious superstitions one by one and you just can't bear it. Same with the OP. The transparency of such ruses is obvious to anyone with a smidgen of intelligence.

A materialistic world governed by scientism is hell on earth. God will not allow this to happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnPassant
A materialistic world governed by scientism is hell on earth. God will not allow this to happen.

Then stop being alarmists about it and let god handle it.

Oh ye of little faith.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anonex
a reply to: vasaga

Oh to be alive in the anti-intellectual age. Nothing better than being surrounded by those that would have us bash science and long for the dark ages. No commie scientist gonna tell me the earth is round!

There is a great difference between science and scientism and what is done with science. We now live in an age where hundreds of millions of human beings have been detached from their natural environment and must live in concrete jungles of dirt and misery and tinsel and iGadgets. Scientism and materialism go hand in hand and people have been reduced to profit making units. The great beast that scientism and materialism has created sees human beings as cattle; nothing more than a means to make profit for the world bank. In the psychopathic leader's vision of a brave new world the individual counts for nothing.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Oh ye of little faith.

I'm not being alarmist. I just think people should remind each other who and what the enemy is.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sure sounded like it.

What else can a message about enemies be, if not alarmist?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

God will not allow this to happen.

Well then, just leave it to God and go on about your business.

If only.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Another "blame game" indulger.

And I suppose Prometheus deserved his punishments?

Who do you attribute to the creation of this "hell on Earth"? Not us good folk surely? It has to be some dark nefarious power doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Heck, why even bother to try and discuss the issues and evidence when it's just so much easier to label someone as an "alarmist"?

It's always obvious whenever someone HAS no evidence to back their arguments with.

Character assassination is the only weapon they have left and all it does is destroy their OWN credibility.

The truth cannot be silenced...

Most prefer to spend their entire lives in a state of perpetual denial.

Others prefer the truth.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." MLK, Jr.

"We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people." -- Letter from Birmingham Jail April 16, 1963

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If scientism is a religion, then God is at the center of it receiving the worship. Unbeknownst to the worshippers. God is in all religions, all mythologies, all worldviews, but in different costumes for different psychological types.

People can't escape God by worshipping science. The passion of all worship, regardless of the object of worship, regardless of the concepts people cling to, goes straight to God.

People are arguing about concepts and social mechanisms. God Transcends those.
edit on 26-4-2014 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2014 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Heck, why even bother to try and discuss the issues and evidence when it's just so much easier to label someone as an "alarmist"?

That word has its definition and if it fits, it fits.

It's always obvious whenever someone HAS no evidence to back their arguments with.

Character assassination is the only weapon they have left and all it does is destroy their OWN credibility.

What arguments?

The truth cannot be silenced...

Most prefer to spend their entire lives in a state of perpetual denial.

Others prefer the truth.

Maybe, but i don't believe you're them.

edit on 26-4-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua
Another "blame game" indulger.
And I suppose Prometheus deserved his punishments?
Who do you attribute to the creation of this "hell on Earth"? Not us good folk surely? It has to be some dark nefarious power doesn't it?

Yes.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Sure sounded like it.
What else can a message about enemies be, if not alarmist?

You are using the word 'alarmist' in two different ways. First in a kind of shrill way, then the literal meaning of the word. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You are using the word 'alarmist' in two different ways. First in a kind of shrill way, then the literal meaning of the word. You can't have it both ways.

Maybe you're reading it in two different ways but they mean the same thing in both contexts.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

You're moving the goalposts here vasaga.

Your opening statement:

It has come to light that modern day science is no longer being looked at objectively. Its achievements have clouded our minds. It has gone so far, that we are blindly trusting in it, and are following it just like people following a religion. We are happy with the toys it gives us, and all the while we are forgetting what is truly important

You sum up what science means to you.
Exactly... Modern day science is no longer being looked at objectively. The emphasis is on how science is looked at. Not science itself. Get it? I did not move any goal post. My opening statement is a very slow introduction so that as many people as possible can get the point. Apparently I still did a bad job. But conveniently you cut out the part about questioning, which is important in science, and how that has been lost, but anyway... Since science not being looked at objectively, but with love glasses, we have created scientism, and people expressing scientism (both scientists and laymen) claim they are holding scientific facts, even though they are personal beliefs/faith. It's not that complicated...

Scientism, as a worldview, is something that only a minority engage in. But you were contending that scientism is now the raison d'etre in your OP. Now you're saying "we need to start differentiating between science and scientism"?
We need to start differentiating between science and scientism because what most people are supporting, especially in these forums, is scientism, but they claim it is science. When questioning is not allowed, you know you're not dealing with science, but with scientism. It's always easy to say "only a minority do X", but under the right circumstances everyone does the same thing... You think people will voluntarily choose scientism, but it doesn't work that way. The majority are doing it unconsciously, which is why it's a such an effective technique to control the masses. Check this experiment out, although seemingly unrelated to scientism, you'll understand how the circumstances will change people's behavior under specific circumstances.:

It's safe enough to say that most intelligent people will know that blindly following anything is what only a fool does, however trying to assert that because most people are not scientists therefore when they accept things that science tell us, and that they cannot verify themselves, this means they are now engaging in scientism? This is absolute rubbish.
Another parallel here.

You know what the answer is that most priests give when you come with difficult questions regarding any religion like Christianity or Islam? They will tell you God works in mysterious ways, we don't always know how and why, but that we should trust Him.

You know what answer I get when I question something of scientism that's masquarading as science? I get that it's what the majority of scientists support, we can not verify the answers for ourselves but need to trust in what scientists tell us is true.
It's the exact same concept in both cases. Obviously, they forget that everything that's published outside of scientific papers is published with a political agenda. Everything that makes it through to mainstream science news has gone through a political filter.

Every time someone says that we can not verify the answers for ourselves, we should all raise a red flag. Anything that is deemed too complex for the layman to understand is a lot of times a method of manipulation and brainwashing. Like Einstein once said. If you can't explain something to your grandmother, you don't really understand it. But we have currently the supposedly smartest people in the world doing investigations, and they have trouble explaining the simplest concept to almost anyone. So they cram it in their head instead so the people become zombies repeating what they have been told is true, and questioning is no longer allowed.

If you question the subject that was crammed into someone's head, they will attack you. The essence of science is to question. But, when people question scientism, rather than getting answers, they get scorn, and that is the problem. I really don't see why this is so hard to understand. Science is not only a method, it's a concept where questioning is at its center. The concept is universal, and everyone can apply it in their own lives. By disallowing it, science turns into scientism very quickly. Science is supposed to adapt to new information, but, scientism supporters are completely resistant to any information that doesn't conform to their pre-held beliefs.

People can question what I provide here, as long as the argument is valid. If the reply is a fallacy, I'll simply ignore it. I have no interest in talking about cats when my point was about dolphins.

You also accuse your detractors on this thread of being being blind followers of "scientism", which is the typical rhetoric of people who are themselves are blind followers of some ideology. Are you?
Uh... How can I be a blind follower if I'm basically asking a lot of questions in these forums that only give me scorn in return? This thread is simply a conclusion I have drawn from many many interactions with people. If I'm a blind follower, I'll gladly hear of what exactly. People have tried to put me in a lot of boxes in here. It's the only way they know how to make sense of people. They don't know what to do with the divergent ones, so... Things get violent towards that person.

If someone is a detractor of this thread, they either do not understand its point or are blind to it. I'm not talking about some made up mumbo jumbo. The indications are everywhere. Those who are willing to see it will see it, those who are unwilling to see it will not see it. This is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It's about changing a problem. If you don't think there is a problem, you're free to go back to your daily routine. Just remember that you have been warned, and when things go downhill, I'll know who was responsible.

There are scientists that are also aware of this problem. A few names;
Bruce Lipton
Rupert Sheldrake
Dean Radin
Gerald Pollack
William A. Tiller
And quite a few more. Obviously, the only response they got from the mainstream 'science' supporters (which are actually scientism supporters) is scorn............
edit on 26-4-2014 by vasaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that scientism acts as if anything it cannot explain is not worthy of non scientific explanations. Its the science way or no way.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Here's an actual scientist explaining something to the 'opposition'. You can start at 0:39, to 3:06 and if you wish to know his background, Click Here, before I hear that he's not qualified to say this...

edit on 26-4-2014 by vasaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Edit: oops, wrong thread!
edit on 26-4-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Haha some of the replies...guys take this seriously for a minute.

I am or was a man of science, engineering to be precise and while I disagree that it ever was something other than academic, intellectual and an art it has become something cult like.

Governed by peers, almost cabal like groups who cannot and will not listen to any questioning or alternative ideas, the same people who can't fathom that some guy in his garage can workout an elaborate solution that their highly academic mind has not been able to.

It is becoming another religion, whether out of choice or persuasion but the shift has happened and I don't doubt this is to compete at some level with the religious/anti-religious and other isms out there.

We all have an inbuilt desire to worship something and follow someone, to belong to something greater and while it can get ugly (what I call the "Hooligan Mentality") it generally empowered people...not now though, now these divisions are used to assert and subvert people and the masses to promote the ego and believe me there are some very egotistical people in this field, I should know, I was one for a while (dear god).

People seem to forget, science is just a study, academic, knowledge, learning and learned minds - a set of tools, nothing more, however much some of us try to glorify this field - it is merely the Observer observing the universe in front of (and sometimes) around him/her...and maybe being observed back.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join