It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Public School sued over "Under God" in Pledge of Allegiance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: AfterInfinity

1 Corinthians 8:5

Don't look to the "Holy Mother Church" for anything about God. Everything they do is 180 degrees from what was handed down to them (another topic perhaps).

That specific line makes it look like the church is admitting there are many gods worshipped by man but when you read all of Corinthians what it's really talking about worshipping of false idols and eating offerings left to those idols. E line prior to the one you refaced says:

4Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.

Making it pretty clear that god/Jehovah/Yahweh what ever you want to call him is the only true and real god.
Te succeeding line confirms this by stating:

6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him

People may dislike my lack of religiosity but its not based on ignorance. I was a bible edumacated mofo who went to church 6 days a week and was an altar boy for years. I can still recite the entire mass by heart if I show up at a wedding or funeral.

I'm laughing so hard because I didn't even read the whole chapter and I still called it. Check out my previous post. Talk about predictable, huh? Guess even the Christians don't know their own lore.

And people still insist on starring the guy who was blatantly ignorant rather than the guy who hit a bullseye in the dark. Figure that one out.
edit on 22-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
To the athiests who want to ban "Under God", you are a bunch of narrow-minded idiots who will be burning books if we allowed it.

To the people who disagree with the Pledge . . . .

Then don't effing SAY IT!
Don't agree with it?

DON'T SAY IT!

People really need to get over themselves! Go get a trophy or something for sounding erudite for not liking the pledge!

(place eye rolling emoticon here)

Hey, I'm divergent. Come at me bro.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: saneguy

It usually serve as an official statement.

No one can read your mind, so just thinking it isn't enough to make it official. That's why they ask you to recite an oath - that way everyone knows you agree to the T&C, so to speak.

And what if they refuse? You boot em out the "land of the free" ?
Cause cant be using your 1st Amendment right !

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I was almost sure that many people posting here would have been more outraged over a governmental institution having a policy about making people say things to begin with than over the religiousity of it all. Guess we know which outrage trumps which now.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I was almost sure that many people posting here would have been more outraged over a governmental institution having a policy about making people say things to begin with than over the religiousity of it all. Guess we know which outrage trumps which now.

Here is the statute in question:

18A:36-3. Display of and salute to flag; pledge of allegiance
Every board of education shall:

(a) Procure a United States flag, flagstaff and necessary appliances therefor for each school in the district and display such flag upon or near the public school building during school hours;

(b) Procure a United States flag, flagstaff and necessary appliances or standard therefor for each assembly room and each classroom in each school, and display such flag in the assembly room and each classroom during school hours and at such other time as the board of education may deem proper; and

(c) Require the pupils in each school in the district on every school day to salute the United States flag and repeat the following pledge of allegiance to the flag: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all," which salute and pledge of allegiance shall be rendered with the right hand over the heart, except that pupils who have conscientious scruples against such pledge or salute, or are children of accredited representatives of foreign governments to whom the United States government extends diplomatic immunity, shall not be required to render such salute and pledge but shall be required to show full respect to the flag while the pledge is being given merely by standing at attention, the boys removing the headdress.

You may opt out of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in New Jersey.

edit on 22-4-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Maybe you should read my other posts. That way we all know what we are talking about

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I read them all. You claimed that:

Even the Christian Bible says there are many gods. Why do people attack the Christian religion when any God is mentioned?

Many things are "mentioned" in the bible, but no where does it say that there is more than one God.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know you can opt out. You always could as far back as I can remember.
edit on 4/22/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

With the opt out clause this is a textbook frivolous suit and the parents filing it should be liable for court costs and the districts legal expenses. I never said it in high school. I stood there in silence and let the drones pledge away to their hearts content. Ironically I was the only one in my class who conned my motner into signing the papers when i was 17 and enlisted. Maybe I just had a more healthy understanding and appreciation of the implied rights given by the constitution. Boy was I naive back then!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I'm still a juvenile delinquent at heart so some twisted part of my rather enjoys seeing how angry the religious segment gets when someone tramples on anything they hold precious. It makes it even more entertaining when I know the good book better than most of them do. Heck, even randyvs doesn't argue with me much anymore because I'm able to dissect the logical fallacies with surgical precision.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
With the opt out clause this is a textbook frivolous suit and the parents filing it should be liable for court costs and the districts legal expenses.

I agree. Our taxes are high enough in New Jersey without the obnoxious clowns in the Original Post creating lawsuits that are not required. You do not like the Pledge? You do not have to say it. The opt out clause has been there for some time for just such a reason as not wanting to say the word 'God'.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Here in lies the problem with a decent debate.

"Tee Hee the Christian was wrong."

Reading comprehension is rough at times I am sure.

EVERYTHING I posted supported my argument that each man/woman has his/her own god and/or GOD.

What have you added other than pointing me towards the Vatican for confirmation, calling me a Christian (which I am not), and then patting yourself on the back with the giggles?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It says the are many gods and many lords but only one true GOD.

What would you expect from a religious book? Confirmation of other religions? Show me ANY religious text that elevates other religions to an equal footing.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
"Once again, our liberties,freedoms and traditions are under attack. -

See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

What part of freedom of religion don't you understand? If i'm not Christian then I shouldn't have to say it, period. Christians tend to view anything that questions how much their religion's monopoly as an attack on their liberties.

How comfortable would you be if the pledge said "Under Allah? or Brahma" That is how non Christians feel.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
What part of freedom of religion don't you understand? If i'm not Christian then I shouldn't have to say it, period.

You do not have to say it, period. The Constitution of the State of New Jersey exempts anyone who does not wish to recite the Pledge of Allegiance from doing so.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

are u sure about that?

here, rather than having too read the whole bible,,
its been annotated,, kind of a Coles Notes/Wiki type of thing,,

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

a reply to: luciddream

Does it mention a Christian God?

It could be one Nation under Marduk - if that's what YOU want it to be.
It could be one Nation under "the self" - if that's what you want it to be.
It could be one Nation under the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the Sky - if that's what you want it to be.

Why do people attack the Christian religion when any God is mentioned?

Who are you kidding, we all know which god that is when it was added in 1954 America. Lol clearly it was Allah right?

Could it be more anti-Christian sentiment rather than anti-god?

Its anti-(insert religion) of the majoirty. In India, the average atheist would attack hinduism.
Who ever speaks the most gets criticized, in America, which religions groups attacks non believers? ponder on that.

I sometimes have to wonder.

Don't.

edit on 4/22/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Technically speaking YES it is Allah. The Muslims are an Abrahamic religion. A continuation of Christianity from Judaism.

They do not believe Jesus was divine, but they do consider him a Prophet.

They changed the name and added to the religion. Doesn't everyone know this?

EDIT - attacked by the church? name a lawsuit where people were sued for NOT reciting the words "under God". Which side is doing the attacking?
edit on 22-4-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Technically speaking YES it is Allah. The Muslims are an Abrahamic religion. A continuation of Christianity from Judaism.

They do not believe Jesus was divine, but they do consider him a Prophet.

They changed the name and added to the religion. Doesn't everyone know this?

Not all Muslims are the same. Some Muslims would sooner kill us than look at us. I'd say that makes a difference. Not all Muslims are psychopaths, but enough are to scar our nation for years to come.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Technically speaking YES it is Allah.

I think majority of the America will not agree that when "under god" was added to the pledge, there weren't thinking of the god of the turbans. It was probably a light skinned guy with blue eyes.

religion copying each other is a different topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join