It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Plan: Military Troops Will be Training Near Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
CNN is reporting that an Official has confirmed that U.S. Military troops are planning on conducting military exercises near Ukraine and in Eastern Europe.

Here is part of the CNN report:

U.S. Military Exercises in Eastern Europe

The diplomatic back-and-forth came amid word from a Western official that U.S. troops will take part in military exercises Eastern Europe.

The official, with direct knowledge of the plan, said the exercises will take place in coming weeks in Poland and Estonia.
Both countries are U.S. allies and share a border with Russia. Officials in Poland and Estonia have both expressed concern over recent Russian military movements and actions in and around Ukraine".

Clearly, the United States and European Union are not sitting idle, as the potential threat of another Russian incursion into other parts of Eastern Europe looms.

How is Russia likely to respond to the U.S. and NATO allies military exercises being conducted virtually on their door step?

Will these U.S. Military exercises give Russian President Putin some pause while he weighs his options, including Russia's "sphere of influence" in the region?

Did Mr. Putin underestimate both the United States and its NATO allies' short and long term response to Russia's invasion into Ukraine, or other areas in Eastern Europe?

Full story and report found here: www.cnn.com...
edit on 20-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rickynews
This only shows that Cold war is de facto real and never ended.
There're just too many paranoid heads running world politics.
Will we ever live normal lives, for Christ's sake!?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is how they sneak past the American People and flex their Military Muscle ,

Lets just shake a stick right in the face of the Russian Bear !

War games .....

....makes me sick...

edit on 0579093045749th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews
How is Russia likely to respond to the U.S. and NATO allies military exercises being conducted virtually on their door step?

They do it all the time, so the only proper response is to mind out the way and and shut the hell up! However, they will likely try to spin this as "provocation" while ignoring their drills recently of 150k troops on the borders, not to mention their regular flights towards NATO airspace with their bombers.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Wanna know what this reeks like?

Norad was conducting military operations at the same time cheney gave the order to stand down.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The Incremental buildup of material in the Eastern European nations has begun.....
Sooner or later there will be blood.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You missed a important fact, 150 U.S. soldiers only.

Relax everyone, the U.S. has the military building up in the background.

The countries withthe U.S. are the ones that matter, Putin is a fool.

I wish they video taped people when their master card/visas stop working, ha ha.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
De-escalation is whats needed, not rhetoric and bald aggression.

WE would all do well to remember history, and not repeat the same mistakes of the past.

Russia tends to respond in kind, always have, Show them a stick, they bring a stick, come to the table to negotiate honestly, so will they.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is simply a way to encourage the Russians to move on a make a real deal. NATO is playing a very smart game. They are giving Russia hints about what will come if they do not behave. Some minor santions that shake the Russian economy but, with a promise that much worse is to come, very small scale exercises and possible troop deployments to some of the eastern NATO countries as a hint that NATO could at anytime deploy forces that Russia does not have the ability to counter and calls for more defense spending in both NATO and the EU something Russia also dreads.

With global support behind the US and NATO and with countries like China and Iran basicly turning their backs on Russia NATO could play this very agressive. That would be foolish as it would back Russia into a corner where it has nothing to lose. This way they give Russia plenty of ways to save face and remind Putin that the West has all the cards. Russias recent call the pro Russian elements in eastern Ukraine stand down is sign that they are willing to deal and as part of that deal sell out the pro Russian Ukrainians to take pressure off of Russia. Just like they did with Syria.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

How many sovereign countries has the US invaded recently? And you are telling Russia to behave? Lmao! Americans are ignorant fools. We need to worry more about the Muslims and countries like NK and Iran more than we do about Russia.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
That dude has a serious case of delusion about how powerful we are. All I've seen is the United States backing down from Russia recently. Ever since we bombed Libya and werent supposed to they been shutting us down at every turn. Assad would have been long gone by now if things were the way he makes them seem. They flash people a couple weapons still in development that 1 or 2 prototypes of exist and they have all these people like Mr. Spad convinved that we are the rulers of the world and no one can give us a black eye. This country is one computer virus, flu outbreak, emp attack, stock market collapse, earthquake, or hurricane away from a collapse. Pick one. Europe has to deal with the Russians. They get a third of their gas from them. They are also in a recession....people are already rioting in the E.U. All these talks of sanctions are comedy. The U.S. needs as many people using the dollar as possible. We cut off our noses to spite our faces as I believe Putin said. Europe has to pay for their gas in something or its getting shut off. A third of the gas gets cut off to europe I wouldnt want to be there next winter. Russia is the largest country on earth and has about half the population of the United States. Plenty of places to hide and you will never bleed them dry. Europe and the United States are broke so they want to go to war. Not like it hasnt happened before. When Europes little army gets b!#$@ slapped by Putin then what? Oh thats right we have to go back them up. WW1 and WW2 all over again.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
a reply to: MrSpad

How many sovereign countries has the US invaded recently? And you are telling Russia to behave? Lmao! Americans are ignorant fools. We need to worry more about the Muslims and countries like NK and Iran more than we do about Russia.

How many nations has the US invaded recently? One, Iraq. Before that Panama in 89. The US also intervened in civil wars/conflicts in the Former Yugolavia in the 90s, Somolia in the 90s, Afganistan after 911, and Libya a few years ago. In that time Russia has been involved in 7 civil wars along nations on its border and has invaded one and occupied terrirory from another. What this has to with anything is beyond me. The US has an obligation to defend its allies. If you will recall all of the nations along Russia borders have a long histories of Russian invasions and occupations.

I know you have this fetish for Muslims but, the truth is Mulsims have been fighting and dying for the United States sinces its birth. We are allied to several muslim nations and muslims have fought by our side in nearly every single war we have ever fought.

Russia. Iran and North Korea all remain threats the US worries about. While none of the pose a direct threat they all can disrupt trade and damage allies.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

So when the US and EU were tut-tutting on TV, waving their fingers and jumping up and down on TV spouting off to all the bought media about how dare the Russians stage a military exercise just outside of Ukraine, and what an awful and blatant provocation it was...that was what, politicking perhaps?

Hoodwinking the general public maybe?

Being their usual hypocrites?

Must have been..it seems now, staging vast military exercises just outside of a troubled country just taken over by illegal force is perfectly fine and not provacation in the least.

But then, when we in the West do something like this, we are always in the right.

Bloody politicians make me sick to my stomach.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Russian President Vladimir Putin, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, and Svetlana Medvedeva at Easter service at Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow

"Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev were among thousands of people who packed the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow Saturday evening for a service marking the Easter holiday. The traditional service was led by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church."

Well it seems Mr. Putin is being prayfull on this Easter weekend.

(The basic principles of Marx's communism were that, God did not exist.).

I guess Mr. Putin isn't a Communist.

I wonder if the West has this Russia is Communist/Atheist stuff,,askew.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

United states became the atheists

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rustyclutch

i think the United States Government feel inferior too European Nobility/Money/Power,,
why they do,, dont know.
And so they sometimes act like,, hey if i'm for everything,, then u will like me .

sad really.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rustyclutch

i think the United States Government feel inferior too European Nobility/Money/Power,,
why they do,, dont know.
And so they sometimes act like,, hey if i'm for everything,, then u will like me .

sad really.
edit on 4/20/2014 by BobAthome because: double pump,,hit the rim.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
First of all, I didn't think Poland shared a border with Russia as the article states, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, what I potentially see happening here is a strategic move. Perhaps the US is forcing Russia to react to the north, potentially drawing away military assets from where they are massed on the Ukranian border. So essentially the US is placing troops on a new front, which Russia MUST counter if they had not already put a plan in place to fortify this front. They probably did though.

So it just seems like a move of military strategy to me. But it could also be that the US wants to show a presence of force in the region, but didn't actually want to send troops to the Ukraine itself, where the tension is higher. And really there are not many alternatives, aside from Estonia and Poland. So either they are opening up another front in this mini cold war, or they are just placing troops as close as they can without actually entering Ukraine.

It makes sense to me that the US wishes for Russia to have to counter their move. So say if Russia invades the Ukraine, the US forces could launch a counter-offensive from Estonia, away from the Ukranian front, invading Russia directly. They probably wouldn't do that, but Russia will not take that chance, ESPECIALLY if they were planning on invading the Ukraine, escalating the conflict.

Anyone who has read any of my other posts on the topic of Russia and Ukraine will know that I have predicted from the beginning that Russia will not invade. They invaded Crimea for strategic reasons, and the risks outweigh the rewards when it comes to a full fledged Ukranian invasion. So I will be really surprised if they cross the border into Ukraine. When this all started the US didn't have anything over a division or two of forces that could immediately be fielded for combat. Since then I have no clue what steps the US has taken to beef up their military presence in the region...if any. But like I said, sending troops to the Ukraine itself is not something that the US wishes to do, as it could be viewed as provocation. It isn't necessarily, but Russia would take it that way.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

www.mtholyoke.edu...

this makes for interesting reading,,

U.S., Congress, Committee on International Relations, Special Subcommittee on Investigations, Oil Fields as Military Objectives: A Feasibility Study, Report Prepared by the Congressional Research Service, 94th Cong., 1st sess., August 21, 1975, (Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 1975), Parts I and II, pp. 1-39.

but i digress,,

always secure the OIL Fields first.

Had Hitler not wanted too humiliate Stalin, and continued too the Oil Fields,, well lets say,, a cold winter, sure makes having all the OIL u need,,more comfy.
but thats history

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I more or less agree with MrSpad, this is just how the game is played and certainly not a sign that we are going over the brink.

If we were conducting a huge wargame centering on Germany and Turkey I would worry that we were massing for a serious fight, but since we can safely assume that the US has no intention of invading Russia it doesn't make sense to put a small force right on their border with hostile intent.

This reaffirms our commitment to our allies in front of Russia, it allows our allies to breathe easier and not upset the situation out of their own sense of urgency, it proves to Russia that they do not have an exclusive sphere of influence to do as they please in as only the arrival of US troops and their infernal machines can prove etc etc...

But at the same time, there is little if anything that troops in Poland can do about Crimea or Eastern Ukraine, at least immediately- they could be there in time to help the Kiev hold the line if the Russians pushed for the whole country as long as they had help coming, but they won't be liberating Crimea anytime soon. That sends just the right message to Russia- "we're still going to talk about this, we just want you to take it seriously".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join