It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicon Valley Creates Robocop that will Start Patrolling Streets this Year

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Crowdsource security? Predict crime? You mean like the Salem witch hunts?!

the new Robocop is built to “Predict and Prevent crime.”

...engages the community on a social level to effectively crowdsource security

F&S&

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Like the old stasi system,but digital and all pervasive!!!
Ain't it wonderful?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Found this from December, 2013 - note this security bot costs only $6.25 per hour.

...the company is shooting to have the K5 fully deployed by 2015 on a machine-as-a-service business model, meaning clients would pay by the hour for a monthly bill, based on 40-hour weeks, of $1,000. The hourly rate of $6.25 means the cost of the K5 would be competitive with the wages of many a low-wage human security guard.

Servicing and monitoring of the bots will depend on client needs, Li said, with either Knightscope or the customer employing someone to manage the bots full-time.

Crime prediction is one of the more eye-popping features of the K5, but the bot is also packed to the gills with cutting-edge surveillance technology. It has LIDAR mapping -- a technique using lasers to analyze reflected light -- to aid its autonomous movement. "It takes in data from a 3D real-time map that it creates and combines that with differential GPS and some proximity sensors and does a probabilistic analysis to figure out exactly where it should be going on its own," Li explained.

It also has behavioral analysis capabilities and enough camera, audio, and other sensor technology to pump out 90 terabytes of data a year per unit. Down the line, the K5 will be equipped with facial recognition and even the ability to sniff out emanations from chemical and biological weapons, as well as airborne pathogens. It will be able to travel up to 18 mph, and later models will include the ability to maneuver curbs and other terrain.

....A K5 in every school, eventually

....A better security guard -- at the expense of human jobs

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow
It really does read just like some of the bleak visions of the future I read about-but that used to be fiction...
What gets me is the rate of acceleration of these kinds of programs-it seems like we are really hurtling towards a future dystopia,almost without control these days.
Everyone a suspect,guilty until proved innocent.
The world gone mad.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ummm kick it over. It wont shoot you.

It's not robocop. It's a machine designed to help the public?

Maybe if we stopped fearing everything some things would be good?

I onno..

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
it's not obnoxious enough..
can it also provide free wifi, USB recharging & dispense human breast milk ice-cream?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: UNIT76
it's not obnoxious enough..
can it also provide free wifi, USB recharging & dispense human breast milk ice-cream?

Can you?

O.o

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
Ummm kick it over. It wont shoot you.

It's not robocop. It's a machine designed to help the public?

Maybe if we stopped fearing everything some things would be good?

The people that design and operate these machines don't have a track record of doing "good"!

This piece of junk will need 2 real human cops to protect it from ten year old boys with bricks.

Your tax dollars at work.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It looks like a modern Dalek.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

That is why I hoped it was a prank-it looked too sci fi.
It sort of reminded me of a cross between a dalek and Robbie the robot,with the see through head full of sensors.

edit on 19/4/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Gee I hope they don't armour plate the monstranities .......looks like a single round of anything bigger than a 22 would knock it out.....
It does have eyes in the back of its head though....so no sneaking up on it.....
Certainly susceptible to snipers..........

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
Having drones in the sky isn't good enough, now they want to put drones on the ground. Lets ask Will Smith what he thinks about automated law enforcement, eh? Bring on the VIKI!

we have had drones on the streets for years......

they are called...

COPS

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Imagine future survedrones utilizing electromagnetic levitation and cloaking and linking cyber, telecommunications and advanced infrared sensory capacity to monitor individual criminals (or political dissidents). I could see that coming in the next twenty years. Satellite controlled drones of this nature could be used to see and hear through walls, as it were. Special ops missions would be revolutionized by such a device. Predictive analysis (thus geopolitical influence) would also be enhanced relating to the agendas of heads of states around the globe.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I don't think people will put up with this stuff, to be honest.

We are already seeing rifts between the public and major companies such as Google. Apparently, people in San Francisco are already starting to revolt against the companies of Silicon Valley by destroying the personal property of people who are either directly or indirectly associated with them (e.g. individuals who either work at Google, or own Google Glass). Some have even vandalised shuttle buses used to transport employees of the companies. Overall, people are also protesting against the major corporations.

If these tensions are anything to go by, i am willing to say that the already established class warfare will expand across the USA, and even the world...people don't like to have their privacy violated.

Also, what is stopping people from just tipping these robots over?

You think too highly of the American public.
A bunch of thugs that go around destroying stuff is nothing new, happens in every city.
Just happens San fran has a lot more techy things to destroy which tends to be funner because you know you destroyed something valuable and not just some posted or flag poles.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is just what I've been waiting for.

There will be two very good uses of this "Robocop"

1. Dismantle and sell all parts for easy cash.

2. Reprogram and add some weapons on it and make it go after cops.

I'm sure one or the other will be done, by thugs looking to make a quick buck, or nerds that are pro hackers.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: lostbook

exactly what I thought. Will be tagged by the gangstas and then stripped of any copper or metal by the thieves hacked by the computer folk and pushed into a corner and blocked in by harmless pranksters. Not necessarily in that order.

yep and that would give the manufacturers of these things an excuse to arm them for protection...and before we know it there would be a real robocop style unit to deal with

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
so will these things wander around by themselves or will they be controlled by an operator?

i don't see how it will survive where it's really needed.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Am I the only one who caught this?

1:13 - >we're not recording peoples voices, we're recording ambient noises, we want to make sure if people are screaming, we want to detect that and say hey, there's something going on in this particular area.<

And then it goes straight into this;

"In the future we will also have the weapons of mass destruction capabili... ahh, sensing capabilities."

www.youtube.com...=86

Really?

So this is a beta project for a robot that senses ambient noise levels to detect if people are screaming in a particular area, so it can what then, go there to use its future weapons of mass destruction capabilities?

Now that's a Freudian slip if I heard one...

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Well that's terrifying.. I didn't know we were quite there yet. Sure.. it starts out all cute and non-threatening like a clumsy R2D2 so people will accept the idea and get used to having them around. Then they'll say they need weapons capabilities to deter interference from youth and irate citizens and then "upgrade" them with some of the robotics tech coming out of Boston Dynamics like WildCat or PetMan. A thought I really didn't need right before bedtime >.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
They want to put them in schools. I live near a primary school and the kids sound like they are being massacred all day long.

Apart from the worrying orwellian nature of this thing, it sounds extremely impractical.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join