It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

local police given an MRAP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm so angry i dont even know where to start...

A local police department close to where I live is being given an MRAP from the government. WTF!?!? Why do they need this? The truth is they don't, its a small town with a population of 6,090 (as of 2012 according to the census bureau) and there are only 2 officers on duty at any given time. I dont understand what they could possibly need this thing for, they belong on the battlefield not city streets. They are designed for convoys and combat operations, and that is about all they are good for. I have driven them enough to know that firsthand. Don't get me wrong they are good vehicles and they have their place, but that is in combat or in a convoy threatened by IEDs. I know people (myself included) have been screaming about this topic for a while but it gets even more upsetting when its your home town. The only thing I can think is they are trying to stage these things out in rural areas before things get bad. But what I dont get is why they want this, it serves no actual purpose unless there are more than one and they have weapons systems mounted. They think they have some kind of "SWAT" (I use that term very lightly) because they have ARs, vests, and all kinds of stupid crap you see in movies. I'm getting very fed up with this because they keep going around calling everyone but themselves civilians, its annoying. According to them I am a "civilian" even though i have qualified with more weapons than they could dream of firing (including an AT4) and have been certified to operate "tactical" (i hate that word) vehicles that they wish they could drive. The ramifications of this vehicle goes way deep into the rabbit hole if you want to chase it, but I am just sick of these guys acting like the military when they dont even know what that means.

Sorry my thoughts are a bit scattered...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TexasSeabee

Since you have some experience with this machines, what is the yearly maintenance cost?

I'm sure the Police will be demanding budget for it.

I guess the potholes are never going to get fixed.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It's called placing foxes in the rural hen houses. It's being done in my rural neck of the woods too.

I too, see no reason whatsoever, for supplying military vehicles to rural populations. Except they want outposts set up before whatever is coming down, comes down.

Remember...when TSHTF, those are the vehicles to disable first...

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Several police departments have them now in the county where I live.

There is a county emergency response team that has at least one also.

Wasn't it Obama that asked us why there need to be 'weapons of war' on American streets? (he was referring to civilian owned semiautomatic sporting rifles when he said that, of course)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

Since you have some experience with this machines, what is the yearly maintenance cost?

I'm sure the Police will be demanding budget for it.

I guess the potholes are never going to get fixed.

There go the property taxes, through the roof. It's funny (read odd), in the US they are taking over the municipalities/counties by changing the police into paramilitary, in Canada, they are using NGO's to manipulate municipalities/counties through greed and government grants. The same fist, just ours hasn't taken the velvet glove off yet. You realize that this is all part of Agenda 21 and we on the ground are seeing the bottom up manipulation. The top down manipulation is via UN and other treaties as well as economic/financial warfare, eg. extortion on a national scale.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be subtle and next time you talk to one of those clowns nonchalantly say something like:
    "Nice MRAP but when the SHTF eventually you have to get out of it to gas up or pee."

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Fire works well.

For more tips, check out Youtube videos about 'Syrian tank hunters'.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

well that im not sure of, I just drove them and worked on them. We pretty much just worked and the higher ups worried about budgets.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
They belong on a battlefield, not on city streets, you say? That is a very telling statement, right there, because that is exactly what the government is expecting, IMO.

These MRAPs will make nice trophies for the resistance, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Well said. I have brothers in the military, and we've all taken a similar stance. They don't need the equipment, and it bugs me when they throw around military jargen.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Fear is the driving force behind this decision. They aren't trying to make us feel safe as much as they want us to feel governed.

My money is on a few good ole boys in a pickup, some rifles, and one who likes to blow things up.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The way I see it is that some Big-time muckity muck is looking to off load a bunch of hardware that has already been bought on the tax payers dime.

And some sheriff thinking, "Yea, we could use one of those."

One MRAP will really make no difference in a uprising. How many can the State/County/City really afford? And to top it off, for the most part, they are scattered to the four winds. It's not like they are consolidated.

Pffft! MRAP? Taking one out is easy peasy lemon squeezy. As one poster said. They have to gas the thing after a while. It's not like it is nuclear powered.

The States/Counties/Cities are being ripped off. Right along with the rest of us taxpayers who already paid for the damned things.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I gotta believe they are really just surplus equipment that is better off being given to a local community for whatever reason then turned into scrap.

They could give one to every small town in the county here and in some shtf scenario, they would have a fleet of maybe 6. Not really a formidable force.

What would make me angry is if they request funding for more of these vehicles in the future.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I agree. It's not like they can replace the cruisers with MRAP's. High speed chases would be a thing of the past.
(Unless they also had drones with HellFires)

I think it's just the taxpayer being ripped off ....again! I wonder what the tax rates are going to do after getting these things.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
TDawg...the plans is for the hellfires in five years......not now....!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

It's called placing foxes in the rural hen houses. It's being done in my rural neck of the woods too.

I too, see no reason whatsoever, for supplying military vehicles to rural populations. Except they want outposts set up before whatever is coming down, comes down.

Des

I am sorry, but sadly, you have that all wrong, well, the last bit anyway.

When TSHTF those are the vehicles that you STEAL first, um, LIBERATE first.

Got to get the terminology right.

P

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The only reason this happened is because we now have a surplus of such vehicles. After pulling most of our equipment out of Iraq and Afghanistan, it is just sitting there, probably to be scrapped later.

I have another good example of something like this. I live about 20 miles from Lewiston, Idaho. It is the most inland port in America. And that is what the city used as justification to get a bunch of funding from the Department of Homeland Security. So they bought a whole bunch of CBR (chem, bio, radiological) gear. Mobile command centers. New AR-15s and a bunch of other crap that will probably never be used.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

originally posted by: Destinyone

Des

I am sorry, but sadly, you have that all wrong, well, the last bit anyway.

When TSHTF those are the vehicles that you STEAL first, um, LIBERATE first.

Got to get the terminology right.

P

Well...you are right. It appears we are getting a larger selection of choices to LIBERATE...

Des

edit on 19-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

join