It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive in America with NO guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

applesthateatpeople
reply to post by dashen

This is how we have always lived.

I only discovered recently that our lack of want and greed was protecting us.

So, I shared it with the star-whores of ATS.

You're welcome.

Sounds like you might have a little star envy......Just saying.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There are way better places to live the kind of lifestyle you're talking about. Usually the plus of letting go of material items and shallow desires is a peaceful well balanced life putting yourself and your family in Detroit in a neighborhood as bad as you describe makes that impossible. So there's the constant threat of danger, you have no way of protecting your family from this, and there is no cool toys to distract from this tense life or death situation? You should work on getting out of Detroit. Go to like...Oregon. Unless you are exaggerating the actual threat level you should not be assuming that just because you look like a bum and people think your family is the poorest on the street that this alone will keep you safe. Think about it before you get all aggressive. Just because you're used to living dangerously doesn't mean your kids neccessarily want to grow up in such a lifestyle. I am not judging you I do not know you or your family and am not in any way questioning your respective relationships, I am just responding to the way you described things. There was an off vibe to the whole rationalization.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Actually, I do.

But when I say something negative about TV or the internet, first thing that always happens...

"Caveman"

"Go live in a cabin"

Followed by a couple goofy jokes.

I was expecting it, and it happened.

Thank you for saying something real.

I've always respected your love for the US constitution.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

That response took longer than usual..

Hmmm

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by applesthateatpeople

Hmm, I often do support the 2nd and am anti progressive so I take that as a compliment.......Thank you. My personal truth is just as subjective as yours. The facts are not subjective and the fact is the 2nd is the law of the land.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

To be honest, what difference does it make how antiquated the lifestyle you live is? I mean, do you go around advertising to your neighbors/community that you live with nothing of any real value in your home?

I mean, considering that most of the time it's referred to 'Random acts of violence" etc. How would a thief/home intruder know to avoid your home because of the lack of valuable goodies?

A crack head is a crack head, they're not known for their bright ideas and well thought out plans

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's a darn good question. Love to hear the answer.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

SubTruth

You title should be what life would look like in the world. America is the last place of true liberty because of one reason.......GUNS. The world would lose it's right to free speech and press. And if you think you are a slave now............

I know many will not buy into what I am saying but in reality there are only 2 things holding back TPTB........Internet.......US gun rights.
edit on 7-4-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

There it is...

I don't like guns, so I am anti-American.

I have no problems with other people owning guns.

I don't...

...also a freedom.

Edit: and your "stars" comment..

If you want some easy stars, make jokes about people who believe in chemtrails. I tried. It works.
edit on 7-4-2014 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Why don't you move somewhere that is very accommodating for that kind of lifestyle?
In NM on the indian reservations it's as humble and peaceful as one could want.
They have schools, internet access and just about everything we have, the only difference is they choose not to use it in most cases.
You would still have to worry about crime, it is everywhere, but not nearly as bad as what the media has painted Detroit to be.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I actually have a honest question regarding this;

Why arent you living in a cabin in the woods? Maybe its just me, but it seems like that would work into your plan to "protect yourself from crime" and would complement your current lifestyle in many different ways. I have a definite bias though, as I prefer to be directly in nature, and I know not everyone shares that sentiment. But, regardless of the whole gun part of things, it seems like moving to such a place is completely in line with everything else.

Likewise, I think that the assumption that if someone is living in a cabin, that they are cavemen, techno-phobes, and "amenityh8rs" is rather unfounded (but a different topic, imo).

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I don't think you are anti American? Not in the least.

Hear what I am saying I believe the only thing that stops outright control is the internet and US gun rights. You have every right to be against them and openly state it.

Heck I think you are showing courage for making a stand however wrong I might feel it is. Look at my ATS name. Think about what I am trying to say.

edit on 7-4-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I have no problems with other people owning guns.

I don't...

Reread your original post! You certainly do not come off that way.........

Just sayin

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

applesthateatpeople
reply to post by dashen

So, I shared it with the star-whores of ATS.

You're welcome.
Boy you sound bitter.

Maybe if you bought a gun, bought nice things, had better protection for yourself and your family you may be bit more happier.

In my perspective. You sound miserable.

I can bet most that posted to your OP read more than you do... What a ill minded thing to say
edit on 7-4-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

applesthateatpeople
reply to post by benrl

Actually, I do.

But when I say something negative about TV or the internet, first thing that always happens...

"Caveman"

"Go live in a cabin"

Followed by a couple goofy jokes.

I was expecting it, and it happened.

Thank you for saying something real.

I've always respected your love for the US constitution.

Than perhaps it is your delivery?

I constantly speak out on the ills of media,

I avoid the TV like the plague, no tv in my house is hooked up to anything other than a console or PC.

Network TV and cable are simply propaganda channels shoved down or throats.

The problem I find is in the way you expound your stance, not in the stance itself.

Often time, on the internet its best to remember tone as it does not carry as well, I find myself constantly coming off as hostile or dismissive when I am not aware of it.

I can disagree with someone, to the very core of my being, and still chat and remain friendly with them.

I mean, to me, it seems like you are trying to accomplish Satire, by saying the key to living with out protection, is to have nothing worth protecting.

Sounds like a piss take on Liberal gun control, more than an actual stance.

So if there is a misunderstanding, perhaps I am not grasping your point as well as I should.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So wait a minute here.

Because you happen to have never been robbed and also happen to not own a gun...you're surviving in America?

This does not follow.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

So you say you have a house with "less than $500 in it." Wow, you really don't put much value on your family's life or your own. I get the whole, live without idea, but if your house contains family, then you have much more than $500 and you should protect them accordingly.

Edit to add: How'd not having a gun work out for the poor guy who hit the kid with his truck? Kid suffers a broken leg and he's in a coma because he stopped to try to help. Detroit is ridiculous...No, cities are ridiculous!

edit on 7-4-2014 by Feltrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You mean your city, to survive, without a gun

In a village in Alaska, AKA America. You and you family would be dead.... Quickly.

You really did not think your rant through. Sad, sad, sad.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

applesthateatpeople
reply to post by dashen

I applaud a "minimalist" lifestyle, whatever that means to you

...doesn't really have anything to do with gun ownership vs personal protection and/or surviving in America though. It's a big and diverse country, just 'cause something is workig for you where you are doesn't mean it works for someone else be they across the street or across the country. Weird connection to try to defend, IMHO
edit on 7-4-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Kinda like stupid is, is stupid does..

Ahh thanks Slayer for the good laugh, so true.

Maybe the OP is scared because the family facebooks every detail and posts pics of their whereabouts and stuff and has lost many things emotional and psychical because of a addiction of social media...now the lash out rant

Just saying. I have many friends that pull crap like that. Then wonder why people/strangers are in there business, I bought a new 60" flat screen, location known by all your friends. 340 likes, etc. Get robbed next day, lol.

IMO I think this OP just lives in fear and might be afraid to live life. Ever seen a cat with nothing, under a porch? Yep. That's survival. But who really wants that when you can LIVE.

Maybe this is just the way of life the OP knows how to life. Or maybe just doesn't see the better outcome he/she could have.

The difference between a pessimist and optimist.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

applesthateatpeople
reply to post by criticalhit

Me and my family enjoy our lives.

See what you did?

If I don't have an iPad, I'm a caveman.

LOL

I understand what you are saying. I also do not have an ipad. I do not have many many new little gizmos that seem to be the norm these days.

I do not think it is so much about having material possessions as much as it is a case of I worked for it. I own it. I have every right to own whatever the hell I want to own regardless of how the savages around me feel about it. Why should I deprive myself of anything out of fear that someone may steal it? I refuse to live that way. I have every right to enjoy the fruits of my labor in any way I see fit. I work 5 days a week. 40+ hours per week. If I can afford a new TV and I want a new TV, why should I not treat myself? I earned it.

So you may not own a firearm, but I do. I own one not so much for protecting material possessions. That can be replaced. I own one to protect myself and my loved ones. Stuff can be replaced. People can't. These days criminals, thugs, gang bangers, have done things to people for no other reason than a thrill. Recently there was a student in Arizona who was killed by two other men while cycling. The reason? They claim they did it for the thrill. They wanted to know what it was like to kill another human being. Not for his possessions. Not for his opinions. Not because he did anything wrong. They just wanted to.

That is something you can not prepare for. You can deprive yourself of any possessions you want and it will not prevent a situation such as I have described. Sadly it is happening more and more these days.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join