It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreigners dictating what it means to be British

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   

CharlieSpeirs
reply to post by woogleuk

Irish are nothing like the English...
Welsh are nothing like the Scots...

I know plenty of Scots, Welsh and Irish that hold the same ideals as me when it come to British history and culture, yes you will get some who are true to their native lands, but not the majority.

26 years is a long time to come to terms with the vast differences!!!

Maybe at 26 you still don't fully grasp the concept, nothing to be ashamed about and certainly understandable.....or maybe the younger generation are just forgetting what it is to be British because of the surge in immigration.

This topic isn't about drug culture, or popular culture!!!

You're right, it's about centuries old British culture that only a true Brit can fully appreciate.

We share a great deal of Land... That's where similarity begins & ends!!!
Irish rarely like to be called British... Scots rarely like to be called British...
The minority either don't mind or don't care...
But most take offense to it!!!

I think you are reading the wrong info, you only have to watch royal visits to these places and see the crowds gather in the streets to know that the minority are in fact the ones opposed.

Scottish independence isn't a current contingent because they want to be associated with Britain...
It's exactly the opposite...

Actually, opinion polls show the majority of Scots want to stay in the union, so come voting day I wouldn't bank Scotland buggering off just yet.

What happened to "the more the merrier"???...
No longer part of "the British culture"????

The merriness has sold out to unemployment and/or poor quality of living for those of us born here.

a sick joke and most refuse to laugh at it... It's cool though...
Weed out the ATS EDL sympathisers all day long, then I know who to avoid!!!

The EDL are a bunch of neo-Nazi thugs who need deported themselves, to a small barren island somewhere far far away.

Peace Woogle!!!

Peace my friend, take it all in good banter ( ye southern shandy drinker, lol :-p )
edit on 10/4/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well im afraid that the powers that be will not stop until the whole world is just one big monoculture of multi culturism. Where money rules and the poor suffer. Where everyone becomes dumbdowned robot minded slaves. Where democracy means the majority accept minority ways. Where privacy is a forgotten myth and every movement and voice is tracked and catalogged. Where the dissenters are got rid off.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

If the problem is the powers that be, why redirect it to the people that are coming here because they are hoping for a better life(not to make you less you, whatever you think you are)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I do see where you're coming from pal!!!

You lay down a better response in debate than most as well!!!

You had me in stitches with some of that

Peace to you again pal!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

ScottProphhit

If the problem is the powers that be, why redirect it to the people that are coming here because they are hoping for a better life(not to make you less you, whatever you think you are)
why come here for a better life? We british made that better life in our own country.
It seems to me some immigrants rip off their own people and then live in the u.k after exploiting their own people. They now exploit we soft touch brits.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

That's if they don't kill everyone in a nuclear war.

I don't know which is worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Why not? They wouldn't have thoughts to leave if it wasn't for the type of government we have! They dont come here to rip people off, um whos at the expense of the luxury(most of it we dont experience, except from the slave labour)? And if you think british living standards is declining because there's more people coming here.. I don't think you understand the recession.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
Bloody Foreigners....Rubbish Band...Prefer Toto.

Sure?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Hmmm....

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Galvatron
reply to post by uncommitted

Closing borders and being racist aren't mutually inclusive. It has to do with economics, pure and simple. How does that policy make UKIP racist? Or better yet, how is that policy racist? Explain yourself.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

The UKIP leader said in a debate recently that although he is a Euro MP he has never, ever voted for or against anything in European government - essentially he therefore achieves nothing, so we are paying for him not to actually have any influence. Xenophobia (displayed by closing borders) is intrinsically racist. Why should we (UK) be allowed to close borders but expect our own citizens to work in Europe or other parts of the world? We should of course manage borders, but I'm not sure how we get to set the rules on this and still stay in a global community, but then Farage doesn't have to do that does he? He shouts out some populist statements that get his target audience cheering in the clear knowledge that he will never actually have to live with the consequences.
edit on 10-4-2014 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Korg Trinity
reply to post by LUXUS

Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Hmmm....

Peace,

Korg.

It might be for you, why do you assume it is for everyone else?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

uncommitted

Galvatron

Closing borders and being racist aren't mutually inclusive. It has to do with economics, pure and simple. How does that policy make UKIP racist? Or better yet, how is that policy racist? Explain yourself.

The UKIP leader said in a debate recently that although he is a Euro MP he has never, ever voted for or against anything in European government - essentially he therefore achieves nothing, so we are paying for him not to actually have any influence. Xenophobia (displayed by closing borders) is intrinsically racist. Why should we (UK) be allowed to close borders but expect our own citizens to work in Europe or other parts of the world? We should of course manage borders, but I'm not sure how we get to set the rules on this and still stay in a global community, but then Farage doesn't have to do that does he? He shouts out some populist statements that get his target audience cheering in the clear knowledge that he will never actually have to live with the consequences.

Actually if you listened to what Nick Farage the UKIP leader said was, He wanted a work permit system mcuh like they do in the US. A controlled Immigration as opposed to total open boarders which is what we have now.

If you want to believe that it's o.k. for anyone from anywhere in Europe to come into the country and take our jobs and reap the benefits of our Social services, that's up to you..... but I can assure you the majority of people are pretty ticked off by it!!

I mean someone could come over here from say Romania.... work in a minimum paid job.... after 2 months having paid less than £200 into our system in tax... claim Child Tax Credit of over £600 a month for his three children that live in Romania.......

Are you honestly saying that doesn't need fixing??? If we stay in Europe we can't fix it because we no longer have the power to change it.....In other words we have lost our sovereignty to European central government...

If you want to take that power back and stop Europeans from coming into the country and bleeding us dry then you will have no choice but to vote UKIP as all the other parties are so far in with European powers that be it's almost outlandish Fraud!

Korg.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

uncommitted

Korg Trinity
reply to post by LUXUS

Hmmm....

Peace,

Korg.

Come on!!!

So you drive a British Car?

Drink in an English Pub a Traditional English ale? On the way home you pick up a Sunday roast then do you?

You sit on an English manufactures sofa, watching Hollyoaks on your English TV???

Tell me this is true and I'll go to ladbrooks and place a bet for a cool £1000 you are wrong!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Korg Trinity

uncommitted

Korg Trinity
reply to post by LUXUS

Hmmm....

Peace,

Korg.

Come on!!!

So you drive a British Car?

Drink in an English Pub a Traditional English ale? On the way home you pick up a Sunday roast then do you?

You sit on an English manufactures sofa, watching Hollyoaks on your English TV???

Tell me this is true and I'll go to ladbrooks and place a bet for a cool £1000 you are wrong!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

A) I don't drive, I do use public transport, mainly trains made in Derby

B) I'm not actually aware of any 'Oirish' pubs anywhere near me, strangely the last one I went to was in Switzerland and when I do go to a pub I tend to drink ale from whatever the local micro brewery is

C) I don't use a sofa although the one we have was made somewhere about 15 miles away, the chairs I sit on were made roughly 3 miles away. I'm glad to say I don't watch Hollyoaks but fair play to anyone who does, actually, question time and newsnight are the only staples in my viewing, but I do enjoy law and order UK (yes, I know it uses scripts from the US version, but I prefer it)

Would you like to send me the money via paypal?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Korg Trinity

uncommitted

Galvatron

Actually if you listened to what Nick Farage the UKIP leader said was, He wanted a work permit system mcuh like they do in the US. A controlled Immigration as opposed to total open boarders which is what we have now.

If you want to believe that it's o.k. for anyone from anywhere in Europe to come into the country and take our jobs and reap the benefits of our Social services, that's up to you..... but I can assure you the majority of people are pretty ticked off by it!!

I mean someone could come over here from say Romania.... work in a minimum paid job.... after 2 months having paid less than £200 into our system in tax... claim Child Tax Credit of over £600 a month for his three children that live in Romania.......

Are you honestly saying that doesn't need fixing??? If we stay in Europe we can't fix it because we no longer have the power to change it.....In other words we have lost our sovereignty to European central government...

If you want to take that power back and stop Europeans from coming into the country and bleeding us dry then you will have no choice but to vote UKIP as all the other parties are so far in with European powers that be it's almost outlandish Fraud!

Korg.

Farage is a one trick pony who denies there is any value in being in Europe - although he's quite happy to take a wage for being a Euro MP but at the same time saying he doesn't vote in anything - hmmm, wish I had his job. That person from Romania could also easily go to Spain, let's face it, the weather is better and there has not been the number of migrants from Romania that he predicted.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

An interesting article on immigration levels in the UK;
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Freeborn

An interesting article on immigration levels in the UK;
www.bbc.co.uk...

That's a fair point, kind of asks the question though do we want to be in Europe where the rules apply to all countries, or not? As I'm someone with an immigrant father and immigrant maternal grandfather, then logically if that had been in place years ago I wouldn't have been born so kind of hard for me to answer the question :-)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Immigration itself is a good thing.
It ensures society keeps changing and adapting to new inputs etc.

In the past most immigrants have come to this country and have contributed and integrated whilst adding a dash of their own particular culture.
They've respected the culture and heritage of their foster nation and even enhanced it.

Today what we have is an open door policy where almost anyone can enter regardless of skills, ability or willingness to work and contribute.
The large influx of immigrants from eastern Europe is driving down wages in this country and is draining money and resources out of it.

In addition we have a number of immigrants who have no respect or regard for the customs, laws, culture or heritage or this nation. They wish to exploit the benefits it offers, give little if anything back in return and in extreme cases actively seek to enforce their customs on us.
They seek to use the very freedoms this country offers to take those freedoms away from us.

Of course that's a somewhat simplistic take on things and there are many more contributory factors - not least being the way immigration is being used by TPTB to further their own agenda.

MSM, the politically correct and those who have vested interests have succeeded in convincing people that anyone who has any concerns over immigration levels must be a racist. That is absolute utter bollocks. There are valid economic and even ecological reasons why current immigration levels and policies can not continue and there are serious sociological issues as well.
These need to be openly debated in the public domain in a frank and honest manner free from unjustified accusations of racial motivations.
Yes, some people oppose immigration due to their racist bigotry and they need to be opposed and shown up for the scum they are at every opportunity - but the majority have valid concerns that need to be discussed and if deemed necessary addressed.

Rant over.

Apologies.
edit on 10/4/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Freeborn

Immigration itself is a good thing.
It ensures society keeps changing and adapting to new inputs etc.

In the past most immigrants have come to this country and have contributed and integrated whilst adding a dash of their own particular culture.
They've respected the culture and heritage of their foster nation and even enhanced it.

Today what we have is an open door policy where almost anyone can enter regardless of skills, ability or willingness to work and contribute.
The large influx of immigrants from eastern Europe is driving down wages in this country and is draining money and resources out of it.

In addition we have a number of immigrants who have no respect or regard for the customs, laws, culture or heritage or this nation. They wish to exploit the benefits it offers, give little if anything back in return and in extreme cases actively seek to enforce their customs on us.
They seek to use the very freedoms this country offers to take those freedoms away from us.

Of course that's a somewhat simplistic take on things and there are many more contributory factors - not least being the way immigration is being used by TPTB to further their own agenda.

MSM, the politically correct and those who have vested interests have succeeded in convincing people that anyone who has any concerns over immigration levels must be a racist. That is absolute utter bollocks. There are valid economic and even ecological reasons why current immigration levels and policies can not continue and their are serious sociological issues as well.
These need to be openly debated in the public domain in a frank and honest manner free from unjustified accusations of racial motivations.
Yes, some people oppose immigration due to there racist bigotry and they need to be opposed and shown up for the scum they are at every opportunity - but the majority have valid concerns that need to be discussed and if deemed necessary addressed.

Rant over.

Apologies.
edit on 10/4/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

No worries, although I've never gone with the TPTB meme because I just think it's an easy way to cover anyone in a level of authority you may disagree with.

I'm currently living next door to someone who has rented the house with two kids, has never worked, has never shown intention to and is UK born and bred. I wouldn't limit our issues to immigrants.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

ScottProphhit
reply to post by RAY1990

That last paragraph threw me off, I dont understand that.

And the United Nations is a good idea that is corrupt.

And do you think no national pride(mate, Hitler is the best example we've got for that) means no competition? Are you unable to live without football or something because that minor thing never crossed my mind.. I said the world doesn't need a nationalist point of view to be competitive!

Yeah that last paragraph, dresses the same? Acts the same? Where did you get that from? A world where all nations in the world have a UN that can make sure that no corrupt # goes on in any country, business or whatever! The system we live in now is shambles, why are you on this site if we don't all agree on that simple thing.
edit on th2014-04-09T18:19:45-05:0020143030-05:00Wed, 09 Apr 2014 18:19:45 -05002014p06 by ScottProphhit because: (no reason given)

edit on th2014-04-09T18:21:02-05:0020143030-05:00Wed, 09 Apr 2014 18:21:02 -05002014p06 by ScottProphhit because: (no reason given)

The systems we live with now are pretty poor, everything is corrupt once man's hand touches it so I agree with you on that.
What I was aiming at was striving to be the best at things. To use your example of Hitler, he wanted a glorious army, the best exports, the best transport networks etc etc. You can't be the best without having something to compare it by.

I probably misread what you wrote, but yeah you can be competitive without any form of nationalism but you need a team to pit your team against otherwise your just... well tbh you wouldn't improve. Nations, Football teams, Corporations,schools... they all need something to measure up against. I suppose you could even use a mirror too but that wouldn't be competitive would it?

As for the UN being corrupt, indeed it can be. Yesteryear it was religion that kept the immoral in check, these days we use institutions and governing bodies that implement law to create order and some form of equality. Non of it would ever be needed if all people acted a little bit more moral and decent.

Apologies for being a confusing little nitwit... I do that sometimes

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join