It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is NOT a "conspiracy site"!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
When I'm sharing ATS with someone who is not familiar with it, I refer to it as a conspiracy site with a big umbrella. Mainly we discuss conspiracies but under that umbrella you'll find other interesting topics. The reason I explain it like this is to get people who would not entertain the thought of visiting a "conspiracy" site to give ATS a go over and possibly check out some of the info they would not get otherwise.

Personally I dont care what anyone calls it, I really like it here and check here for the latest news before I'd ever go to mainstream media.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

In my opinion ATS was intended to be a conspiracy site but has been overwhelmed with mainstream media and government reasoning/logic while the "conspiracy theorists" are now looked upon as nutters.

Whether or not the OP puts forth a compelling case on said topic, expect hoards of members to attack the theory, the source of the theory, and the member sharing their theory/idea.

Some people (including myself) believe that there are members who are here with the sole intention of participating in this type of activity, whether they are "paid shills" or die hard skeptics who fear anything that does not fit within their perceived realm of mainstream reality...these are the people who support the official story on every story no matter what it may be without even considering any other possibilities...regrettably there is an abundance of these members.

I believe that skepticism is a good thing but the obvious you know whos are obvious.
edit on 4/7/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
ATS is anything you want it to be.........
For me it's pure entertainment and a resource for ideas to use in my scripts, treatments, screen plays, poems and song lyrics.

ATS is also a good place to use as a social observation platform; to watch for cultural trends, fads, fashion, highstrangeness, and breaking news.

WARNING..........ATS is highly addictive and should be used with the utmost discretion because it can be a black hole for time when you could have been doing something actually productive.
edit on 7-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Jefferton

Snarl
reply to post by StallionDuck

I don't see what the fuss is about...

Me either ...

I just like it here. Can't that be enough?

Ok, here is the problem.
Someone comes with the following theory: Elvis was actually a pot-bellied pig!!, no evidence, and even though that theory is complete nonsense, someone will then state, "but this is a conspiracy site!", no longer needing evidence or anything credible to back up that claim.
Understand?

No... In that case we all gang up on them and make them rue the day... That's silly!

Now if you say, speak about government issues that may be a conspiracy by nature, and someone shoots them down like any shill would, calling them an idiot for believing in such, then that person saying back "This is a conspiracy site and my opinions are just as important as the next guy.", then that would be fine. It'll be based on something at least plausible.

But Elvis a pot-bellied pig? That guy needs to be steared strait! lol

Though... he was kinda fat in the end... Hmmmm.... Now that you say it....

edit:
My conspiracy is... ATS is messing up my spelling on purpose just so I have to always come back and edit every post I make!!! GRRRRR!

edit on 7-4-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

We've had some really strong conspiracy theorists on here who didn't suffer the nutter reputation and who in fact have a reputation of high quality well thought out threads.
Issackoi comes to mind.
Then we have the true Mr. Peanut or Ms. Peanut and mostly they make the site funny even if you want to shake them.
I do take issue when skeptics are described as afraid of anything that doesn't fit their mainstream beliefs. Some of us skeptics actually come from a position of science and common sense which shouldn't be over looked even if it's fuddy duddy. Sometimes a snake is just a snake.
Besides without skeptics what fun would this site be? How much back patting before it gets boring. How much oh I completely agree before people stop reading?
Anyway we know we are a varied group from every corner of the planet so if anything all viewpoints are considered here.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

StallionDuck

Jefferton

Snarl

Me either ...

Ok, here is the problem.
Someone comes with the following theory: Elvis was actually a pot-bellied pig!!, no evidence, and even though that theory is complete nonsense, someone will then state, "but this is a conspiracy site!", no longer needing evidence or anything credible to back up that claim.
Understand?

No... In that case we all gang up on them and make them rue the day... That's silly!

I'm entertained when that tactic is used ... and then falls apart. Almost makes it seem as though a conspiracy does exist ... and then I start to wonder myself.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Snarl

StallionDuck

Jefferton

Snarl

Me either ...

Ok, here is the problem.
Understand?

I'm entertained when that tactic is used ... and then falls apart. Almost makes it seem as though a conspiracy does exist ... and then I start to wonder myself.

And then you're stuck in an infinite loop... Kinda like arguing yourself out of existance! lol

"Therefore... I don't exist!" - ~poof~

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Why not petition for a site name change as well?..."Above Top Secret" suggests the "C" word.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

But I think that as someone hinted at, it's primarily a conspiracy site. I think that there are more forum topics devoted to general conspiracies then, say, general news. There are 19 conspiracy related forum topics. There are only 6 political forum topics. I like ATS, but you need to call a spade a spade.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Claiming ATS is not a conspiracy site is totally disingenuous. ATS is a conspiracy theory site. The fact that there are some off topic forums that have to do with regular mundane topics does not change that fact.

It would be like claiming Facebook is not a social networking site, and insisting Facebook is a flash game site because they have a lot of flash games on there. And then you post on someone's thread about how they are all being silly posting pictures, and status updates, and chatting and whatnot. So they reply to you, "Dude this is a social networking site, why are you even here then?" And then you reply, insisting that Facebook is not a social networking site, it is in fact a flash game site.

Sure there are some pretty out-there theories posted on ATS sometimes, but that is kind of the point of ATS. And when someone makes a post about how conspiracy theories are a bunch of hogwash and wackjobbery it's a perfectly valid question to ask them if they think so then what exactly are they doing on ATS in the first place.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Its suppose to be a conspiracy site but i can almost never find conspiracy topics on the front page. Its become a political site in these past few years, leaning to the right as well . Don't get me wrong I have long defected from the left and just dont have stomach for partisan bickering and infighting. I have to comb the boards to find a good conspiracy any more . People dont realize they are being played by the two party system as devils advocate via divide imperia And that is the great conspiracy that is afoot.
edit on 8-4-2014 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

Those posters are not from the government. They are just douchebags. Although, the two are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

th3onetruth

The more i stay here, the more I get the feeling that it is a government ran site. There are some people here who will argue a new thread into the ground, without actually saying anything productive.

No these are called "people you disagree with and whom you do not have the intellectual ability to engage in a meaningful counterargument"

or as you may also call them....

SHILS

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
it's a conspiracy site for me... but also a good discussion forum

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

People discuss cats on ATS.
Is this a cat site?
People discuss religion on ATS.
Is this a religious site?
No. ATS is and always will be, a discussion site.

I'm starting to think ATS is a whiner site...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
How about this way of putting it;
"ATS is a truth-seeking site".
That covers the the discussions favouring conspiracies and UFO's and also the discussions debunking conspiracies and UFO's. Whichever viewpoint is true ought to be put forward.
It covers the fact the "hoaxes" are ruthlessly banned.
It answers the argument "This is a conspiracy site, so you musn't debunk conspiracy theory".
It also answers the argument "This is an entertainment site", used by people to defend putting up stories which they know to be untrue.

The other answer to the claim that non-conpsiracy topics have no place on ATS is that ATS has deliberately chosen to have a location for non-conspiracy topics- once called BTS and now called "off-topic".

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Jefferton

th3onetruth

The more i stay here, the more I get the feeling that it is a government ran site. There are some people here who will argue a new thread into the ground, without actually saying anything productive.

I do think there is a lot of intentional mis-direction. Throw in a bunch of raving loons that destroy logical conversation, and make the label of conspiracy theories extra icky.

yeah huh...and don't forget to add a strong dash of CTers who will take something that is clearly not evidence and shout to the world that they have proof

Both sides are guilty...but this is definately a site for conspiracy

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

DISRAELI
the "hoaxes" are ruthlessly banned.
I think I may have seen some not hoaxes ruthlessly banned, uhmm would that be caused by someone putting effort in covering up things? Sounds like a nice job being paid to cover up things or divert the thread to innocent topics on bulletin boards like this. How 'd you call that? uhm forgot the expression to describe "covering up things". Well ok no problem maybe i will remember soon.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

abe froman
Has any one else noticed the vast conspiracy afoot to stop ATS from continuing to be a conspiracy site?

Things have changed at ats, I find it discussing politics and religion more than anything else.
I've also noticed whenever a conspiracy topic thread is made they may run a few pages at best and then gone.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

True, but I'd rather see religious and cat threads over justin beiber threads. (Yes, they have appeared on this site, I wanted to vomit.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join