It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith VS Science & Athiests

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

is great when you get to script both sides of a supposed " argument " esp when you get to do it without recourse to the scientific method or logic

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Ooh I love this game.
Please keep it going.

Even if it's pointless, which it is. Why do people continue to engage in this futile exercise? You can't reason with faith and no one has ever had their opinion swayed from one side to the other by one of these threads.

So why do you persist?

Is it some vague hope that one side will finally say "Yes! I have been wrong and foolish and stubborn, but now your argument has caused me to see the error of my ways!"

Seriously, why. This is for both sides, what's the point, what are you accomplishing? Why continue this madness?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The same reason you just did the same

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Annunak1
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

imo science is ignorant. Science wants an answer for everything. But when that answer is not logical they put it away as impossible

Science is the fight against ignorance. If you want to find something out. You must use science to discern the truth. There is no other way! What would you use besides science to find an answer?

Yes when a good scientist realizes his work is inaccurate, he should back up and try again. Lots of hypothesis get tossed out. Its the right thing to do.

Religion has a hard time throwing out scripture which we can prove to be untrue. Para investigators have a hard time with this too.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

PerfectAnomoly
The important difference being... We CAN SEE the EVIDENCE of evolution everywhere.... We do not see the evidence of a god.... or at least current knowledge allows us to now safely say that what we do see does not point towards the existence of a god...

Again... the difference between a "scientific theory" and a "theory" is the important point there....

Nice story... but the professor was an idiot if he couldn't come up with a simple off the cuff rebuttal...

PA
edit on 7-4-2014 by PerfectAnomoly because: (no reason given)

God is the creator of all things - The Universe. So even your scientific theories are part of that creation. Evolution is part of that creation and when you can prove humans created the universe then maybe I will change my stance on the subject.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

PerfectAnomoly
The important difference being... We CAN SEE the EVIDENCE of evolution everywhere.... We do not see the evidence of a god.... or at least current knowledge allows us to now safely say that what we do see does not point towards the existence of a god...

Again... the difference between a "scientific theory" and a "theory" is the important point there....

Nice story... but the professor was an idiot if he couldn't come up with a simple off the cuff rebuttal...

PA
edit on 7-4-2014 by PerfectAnomoly because: (no reason given)

God is the creator of all things - The Universe. So even your scientific theories are part of that creation. Evolution is part of that creation and when you can prove humans created the universe then maybe I will change my stance on the subject.

Haha no one says humans created the universe. You silly. Read a science book and then come back and we'll talk
edit on 7-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

No one says humans evolved from monkeys except creationists. Perhaps you should also read a book. Its just baffling how much ignorance these uneducated fools can come up with. Baffling.

You can lead people to knowledge but you cant make illiterate apes read a darn book. Just read a book, take a class. Catch up to every one else so we can have a damn conversation.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Woodcarver
Haha no one says humans created the universe. You silly. Read a science book and then come back and we'll talk.

You should be grateful for religion because without it you would probably still be some Nomad Pagan running around in the scrub and knowing nothing.

Search for medical cures

The Muslims were encouraged by the Prophet Muhammad himself to "seek learning even as far as China". In the area of medicine, the Prophet Muhammad also encouraged a scientific approach. He said, "For every disease, Allah has given a cure," and scientists were encouraged to find those cures. This attitude toward learning and research was a powerful reason that science developed so much under Islam. Moreover, Islam encouraged learning in order to read the Qur'an, which begins: "Recite!" (which is also translated: "Read!").

Reference to the Earth being round

Isaiah 40:22 - It is he who sits above the circle of the Earth, and it's inhabitants are like grasshoppers

A doctor in the Old Testament

Colossians 4:14 - Luke the beloved Physician and Demas greet you.

Religion doesn't disagree with science, it encourages science. It's more about whether the things we do are a benefit to humanity or a burden.
edit on 7-4-2014 by 168617 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
"Circle" as in the earth is round and flat (which is what was thought at the time). Now if the Bible had mentioned "sphere", that would've been something innovative.

Physician was a mistranslation of the word "healer". If you didn't know, the Bible has been translated many times over the years. If you bothered to do your research, you would know that the earliest scriptures only mentions "healer" and the word "physician" isn't even stated once; the word only began appearing in later translations after being mistranslated into English.
edit on 4/7/2014 by Pistoche because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 168617

Religion only likes science when it corroborates its claims. When science starts to contradict its claims, which it does quite frequently, that is when religion starts to shun and lash out against science.

By the way, about your passage about the circle of earth. A circle is a two dimensional object. Something could be circular and still flat. Why didn't the passage use the word sphere or ball to describe the earth? It would make much more sense.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Woodcarver
Haha no one says humans created the universe. You silly. Read a science book and then come back and we'll talk.

You should be grateful for religion because without it you would probably still be some Nomad Pagan running around in the scrub and knowing nothing.

Search for medical cures

The Muslims were encouraged by the Prophet Muhammad himself to "seek learning even as far as China". In the area of medicine, the Prophet Muhammad also encouraged a scientific approach. He said, "For every disease, Allah has given a cure," and scientists were encouraged to find those cures. This attitude toward learning and research was a powerful reason that science developed so much under Islam. Moreover, Islam encouraged learning in order to read the Qur'an, which begins: "Recite!" (which is also translated: "Read!").

Reference to the Earth being round

Isaiah 40:22 - It is he who sits above the circle of the Earth, and it's inhabitants are like grasshoppers

A doctor in the Old Testament

Colossians 4:14 - Luke the beloved Physician and Demas greet you.

Religion doesn't disagree with science, it encourages science. It's more about whether the things we do are a benefit humanity or a burden.

Ha Muhammad had a nine year old wife. perhaps god should have said something to him about that. Do you always get your science from pedophiles, oh your next quote is from the bible so i guess pedos are your go to, for stuff like this.
Also the middle east is not doing so well with the science nowadays. Education is not a strong point in iraq.

The earth isnt a circle it is a sphere. You would think god would know the difference.

Religion has always been at odds with science. Ask Galileo, ask Africa how religion has helped with the aids pandemic. Ask the pope how all his criminal investigations are coming along. How many churches fund stem cell research, or any other research for that matter.

Religion is the burden here. We as scientist have to take time to correct you when you say silly things like *your best hillbilly slang* "I didnt come from no monkey!" Because you could read a book and then you could argue about what we actually say. But then you were probably home schooled with the bible. So never mind.
edit on 7-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I wish I had been that teacher. I would have properly trounced Einstein's silly little arguments.

also:

"About God, I cannot accept any concept based on the authority of the Church... As long as I can remember. I have resented mass indoctrination. I cannot prove to you there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him, I would be a liar. I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws" - Albert Einstein

edit on 7-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Woodcarver
Ha Muhammad had a nine year old wife. perhaps god should have said something to him about that. Do you always get your science from pedophiles, oh your next quote is from the bible so i guess pedos are your go to, for stuff like this.
Also the middle east is not doing so well with the science nowadays. Education is not a strong point in iraq.

Yeah I heard it's not a strong point in the USA either. As for pedophiles, I heard it's a strong point in the USA also.

The earth isnt a circle it is a sphere. You would think god would know the difference.

What do you see when you look at the Sun and the Moon? Though it may be a sphere it looks like a circle from our point of view.

Religion has always been at odds with science. Ask Galileo, ask Africa how religion has helped with the aids pandemic. Ask the pope how all his criminal investigations are coming along. How many churches fund stem cell research, or any other research for that matter.

The Roman Catholic Church is the richest organisation in the world. What makes you think they don't fund for research? They own a telescope in the USA for Christ's sake.

Religion is the burden here. We as scientist have to take time to correct you when you say silly things like *your best hillbilly slang* "I didnt come from no monkey!" Because you could read a book and then you could argue about what we actually say. But then you were probably home schooled with the bible. So never mind.

Thanks, people like you are exactly why the bible is accurate...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
when science can make a solar system, not even a galaxy, then i will say congrats.

we don't even live off planet and these idiots think they have a leg up over God?

wtf is wrong with them and their rabid anti-God supporters?

and i'm sick of hearing about how i am using science and all that bs to post here.

it's your job, idiots!

discover the glory of God. without Him, you'd be out of a job. ya think?

i'm still waiting for my anti-grav car.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

If we can't have Steve Jobs, you can't have your flying car.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

Pray for it and have faith.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 168617

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

Revelations 7:1

How does a circle have four corners? Or is the bible contradictory?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

TheSubversiveOne
reply to post by 168617

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

It doesn't say corners. North, south, east, west.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

tsingtao
when science can make a solar system, not even a galaxy, then i will say congrats.

we don't even live off planet and these idiots think they have a leg up over God?

wtf is wrong with them and their rabid anti-God supporters?

and i'm sick of hearing about how i am using science and all that bs to post here.

it's your job, idiots!

discover the glory of God. without Him, you'd be out of a job. ya think?

"When science can make a solar system"???
What does this mean? We can explain the creation of the Solar System, but we certainly can't make one. And yes, without science there'd be no internet. And no computers either.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

TheSubversiveOne
reply to post by 168617

Have you heard of North, East, South, West? Them imaginary points we use to tell direction? You will also usually see it on a four cornered map of the Earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join