It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird white spots showing up on the back of monitor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Im sorry i dont know where to post this but here goes.

I noticed not too long after buying an HDTV there was these white spots that accumulated on the back panel. Im not sure what it is but im kinda worried this might be harmful to my health so im here asking you fellas if you know what is going on with the tv and why its doing this. I have cleaned it once with a wet towel and wiped it clean dry but a month after, these white spots reappeared on the back of the television.

TV Pic 1

tv2

tv3

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

Fixed one of your links for you…

imagizer.imageshack.us...

Thats some weird stuff. Looks like residue from a spray cleaner of some sort, maybe?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Thanks for fixing the link, i wasnt sure if i posted them right but i guess i didnt.

Well im not sure, I bought the tv brand new and not too long after this started happening.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Looks like mold to me.

Click the link.

MOLD

P

edit on 6/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

If its mold, why doesn't it grow on other surfaces visible in frame? Or does it?

if it is mold a good blast of lysol and wiping it down would cure it, maybe.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Mold or some solvent splash the tv, nail acetone or something.

That room must be really humid to got mold growing on plastic, anyways mold can be serious health risk.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

It doesnt feel like the consistency of mold. Or maybe its a new type of mold im not used to seeing?

Maybe the mold will infuse on a molecular level with the tv and create a new artificial intelligence and start absorbing technology and humans! Like that one episode on South Park! :O Oh dear laws someone send halp!

Cartman trapper keeper hybrid

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

No, theres no mold in here, not that i can see any. None of the other tvs i had in the past had this problem until i brought this one home. Im worried that its something from inside the tv?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Looks like Mould or some chemical or milk was splashed on it.

Is it near a window? That could make it damp, maybe.

Was it bought new from a store? Exposed to rain while in transit?
Try wiping with a cloth dampened with a bit of vinegar and water.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

This from the comments by a guy who took the back off-

"This its not mold.. its the affect of the plastic breaking down due to a bad batch of plastic during the production of the cabinets when the set was made in china or wherever it was made... i did a thorough examination and found on the inside back its wet with black oil droplets from what looks like pores coming from the plastic on the opposite side of the where its white. plastic is made from oil and since its seperating back into oil the white spots are whats left as the seperation occurs. "

Maybe this stuff. Breaks down some plastic. A fungas.
White rot fungas-Phanerochaete chrysosporium
wiki
edit on 6-4-2014 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2014 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2014 by ZeussusZ because: stupid computer buttons not doing what i want

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

yeah thats mold dude.

Get a dehumidifier. Its moisture in the air and clinging to warm stuff.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

intrptr

If its mold, why doesn't it grow on other surfaces visible in frame? Or does it?

if it is mold a good blast of lysol and wiping it down would cure it, maybe.

It is hard to tell from here. The screen is warmer than other surfaces and it is darker than other surfaces both qualities needed by some mold species.

To answer some other remarks from posters.

Since it can be wiped off ....

I have cleaned it once with a wet towel and wiped it clean dry but a month after, these white spots reappeared on the back of the television.

It is likely mold.

Any deformation with the plastic would leave permanent marks that would not wipe off since the chemical / physical properties would have to be altered.

The real hint is the time it took to return. Mold needed the right conditions and waited (as micro spores) for those conditions.

The basic problem is the small room, Possibly used for sleeping together with the warm screen.

Room needs more constant ventilation and a dehumidifier type air conditioner would help a great deal if the OPs wallet or purse can stretch that far. The room needs to stay drier. As an aside, living in an environment that is conducive to mold growth is not good for one's long term health.

So in short, more air flow and a drier room.

P

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
For some reason I can't see any of the images posted, even the "corrected link".

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Alright, thanks for the info everyone!

Would a mod kindly delete this thread as in the answer to my question was found.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

Im worried that its something from inside the tv?

Could be, former owner, was it new when you got it?

I had a friend once who brought a radio home and it was full of roaches from some place else.

They never got rid of them. Watch out for Greeks bearing gifts.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I get "status_403" for all the links.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

So in short, more air flow and a drier room.

In other words someone needs to get out more. Turn off the video games and go outside!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It is not mold, it is plastic that breaks down... I had this before and you can clearly tell the difference between mold and this one.
Normaly you can rub mold away, but this stuff still feels hard and you can't just rub it away. It feels like burned plastic or old plastic that has been in the sun to long. Just rough and brittle.
If not, than it is probably mold

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

aLLeKs
It is not mold, it is plastic that breaks down... I had this before and you can clearly tell the difference between mold and this one.
Normaly you can rub mold away, but this stuff still feels hard and you can't just rub it away. It feels like burned plastic or old plastic that has been in the sun to long. Just rough and brittle.
If not, than it is probably mold

Try reading the thread please!

From the OP

I have cleaned it once with a wet towel and wiped it clean dry but a month after, these white spots reappeared on the back of the television.

P

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I hope your not talking about me are you? I live in Alaska, beautiful scenery and nice weather, which means im out most of the time!

Speaking of which took a nice snowmachine ride to the next village yesterday, which is only a 10-15 min ride. There was also a snow machine race yesterday which is held yearly. A few people from my hometown did pretty good in their own race class, a few actually placed in the top three.

edit on 7-4-2014 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

So please keep the "someone needs to go out more" comment to yourself, please and thanks.
edit on 7-4-2014 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join