It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A mass lack of understanding

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Woodcarver
reply to post by demus

That is exactly what i said. 0. Then i said the only other acceptable answer would be indeterminate but it would be written as a zero. Which is exactly what you just said. How long did you have to look at that page i sent you before you realised i was right.

you keep repeating that indeterminate would be represented as zero.
I said it wouldn't.
your own source:

We want to give the answer "0" but can't, so instead mathematicians say exactly what is going on by using the special word "limit"

so can you give one example where result of 0/0 would be written as zero?

I am glad to see it if it exist and maybe then I will "go to the corner and cry".

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

demus

Woodcarver
reply to post by demus

That is exactly what i said. 0. Then i said the only other acceptable answer would be indeterminate but it would be written as a zero. Which is exactly what you just said. How long did you have to look at that page i sent you before you realised i was right.

I said it wouldn't.
your own source:

We want to give the answer "0" but can't, so instead mathematicians say exactly what is going on by using the special word "limit"

I am glad to see it if it exist and maybe then I will "go to the corner and cry".

You would find the answer to be 0 in any practical application. You have to remember there are rules in math. You can back check certain answers with unacceptable math but you have to show your work within certain parameters, which i will show you in a bit.

Math is only useful when you apply it to something. If you want to see how many times i can fit 0 into 0 the answer is 0 times. Because if i have nothing, i cannot fit anything into it.

Here it is in a word problem

"I do no not have a box in my hand. How much stuff can i put in it?" To which the answer would be 0, not indeterminate.

You would be saying " i dont know? Everything?" And you would be wrong.

This is a question of "limts" as a mathematical term. In the term (0/0) the limits are set. 0 as numerator, and 0 as denom.

x cannot = infinity because Infinity is an indeterminate value.

edit on 8-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Woodcarver

demus

Woodcarver
reply to post by demus

I said it wouldn't.
your own source:

You would find the answer to be 0 in any practical application. You have to remember there are rules in math. You can back check certain answers with unacceptable math but you have to show your work within certain parameters, which i will show you in a bit.

Math is only useful when you apply it to something. If you want to see how many times i can fit 0 into 0 the answer is 0 times. Because if i have nothing, i cannot fit anything into it.

Here it is in a word problem

"I do no not have a box in my hand. How much stuff can i put in it?" To which the answer would be 0, not indeterminate.

You would be saying " i dont know? Everything?" And you would be wrong.

This is a question of "limts" as a mathematical term. In the term (0/0) the limits are set. 0 as numerator, and 0 as denom.

x cannot = infinity because Infinity is an indeterminate value.

you're the one who mentioned mathematics.
I asked you mathematical question.
you said that 0/0 would be represented/written as zero in mathematics which is simply not true.

I didn't ask for the word problem.
why don't you just admit that 0/0 would not be represented/written as zero in mathematics?

if you have mathematical example where 0/0 would be written as 0 then why don't you show me?
even if there is a such an example it would not always be the case because (you guessed it) 0/0 is indeterminate and could be represented in many different way depending on mathematical problem or the approach involved.

<< 6  7  8   >>

join