It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Nato Chief: Russia Ready To Invade Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Breaking: Nato Chief: Russia Ready To Invade Ukraine

Nato's top military commander says Russia is ready to invade Ukraine and could "accomplish its objectives" in three to five days. Nato's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, US Air Force General Philip Breedlove, said NATO had spotted signs of movement by a very small part of the Russian force overnight but no indication that it was returning to barracks. Gen Breedlove said the situation was "incredibly concerning" as Russia has all the forces it needs on Ukraine's border if it were to decide to carry out an "incursion" into the country. Nato foreign ministers meeting in Brussels have asked the general to draw up a package including land, air and sea reinforcements to reassure nervous allies in eastern Europe by April 15. His comments came as Nato suspended all practical cooperation with Moscow in protest at its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine. Russia has responded by accusing the alliance of reverting to the language of the Cold War and said neither side would gain from the move. More follows...
I'm sure General Breedlove said something similar last week. What's interesting is that it looks like Vladimir Putin is playing chess with his military forces, moving them around but not out of where they are on the border of Ukraine. Its good to see NATO finally drawing plans should Russia invade but it could all be too late by the 15th April.
edit on 2-4-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

I agree. NATO planners are busy planning while politicians are busy politicking. Before we get off into a bad rhyme, where are the people who are capable of some math? Not in European Command or Political leadership, it seems.....

Nato's top military commander says Russia is ready to invade Ukraine and could "accomplish its objectives" in three to five days.

Brussels have asked the general to draw up a package including land, air and sea reinforcements to reassure nervous allies in eastern Europe by April 15.

So basically...If Putin wants it, he can take it while the West openly says they can't do anything for even having a plan in place until the middle of the month. In the meantime, Russian troops are out of garrison in a way they just can't remain indefinitely. They're going to go forward or backward...but they are going somewhere. Logistics kinda demands that much.

Yeah.. It's going to be one of those things.. (sigh)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Personally, and I've said this before, with NATO not in lockstep with each other is making Ukraine all too tempting for Putin. Well East Ukraine if nothing else.

During the talks with Kerry it was understood by Russia that if the west would consider the new leadership in Ukraine as illegitimate, than Russia would release Crimea. Of course the west isn't about to let go now that they have secured Kiev even with the loss of Crimea, the west still has a nice foothold around Russia.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
You Yanks should start worrying.

Didn't Alaska belong to Russia at one point?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit2000
Nato's top military commander says Russia is ready to invade Ukraine and could "accomplish its objectives" in three to five days.

Brussels have asked the general to draw up a package including land, air and sea reinforcements to reassure nervous allies in eastern Europe by April 15.

So all Putin has to do now to expose the scaremongering is wait for 13 days...

Time will tell what is what.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

PheonixReborn

Yeah. But they sold it.

As for the on-going situation:
So, we have a game in process similar to the one North Korea is playing.
Both of those forces could do exactly what they are suggesting that they can do, start a shooting conflict, but won't for very practical reasons.

Any incursion into Lithuania to occupy the country would require supporting armor, tanks. That would be invasion, old style. It worked for the Russians in Georgia a couple of years ago. But in central Europe where much more is at stake even if more political than practical, it would be foolhardy. They wouldn't own the skies. Cruise missiles controlled from afar would be dropping out of the skies like rain onto the invading tanks. You just can't do a decent land invasion like WWII anymore.

If the Russia gets Lithuania, it won't be by typical, Russian brute force, but by political means. One must wonder if they are smart enough to know that or if they are willing to chance it.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
What's with all the hand-wringing? It's going to happen because:

1. It's cheaper to create a land bridge by taking over territory.
2. It secures Russia's vital economic interests where oil is concerned.
3. Hey ... the ethnic Russians occupying Eastern Ukraine demand it.
4. Obama gave the go-ahead in secret discussions with Putin.
5. Nuland gave the big "FU" to the EU.
6. And there's a bunch of Nazis in the interim government.

While we're busy thinking about 1 thru 6 there ... who's thinking about the common man in Ukraine?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

ProfessorT
I'm sure General Breedlove said something similar last week. What's interesting is that it looks like Vladimir Putin is playing chess with his military forces, moving them around but not out of where they are on the border of Ukraine. Its good to see NATO finally drawing plans should Russia invade but it could all be too late by the 15th April.

Now, why should "I" spend my bullets on you ... when you, yourself, are doing a hell of good job to put yourself out of business and into the "bankrupt" community.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

PheonixReborn

--
lol, worrying? from who? russia? Yeah I don't think so.
Ukraine is one thing, but Alaska? that is American territory, but you already knew that...didn't you?
I say with absolute arrogant confidence that Russia would never attempt a land grab from American soil.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Snarl
What's with all the hand-wringing? It's going to happen because:

1. It's cheaper to create a land bridge by taking over territory.
2. It secures Russia's vital economic interests where oil is concerned.
3. Hey ... the ethnic Russians occupying Eastern Ukraine demand it.
4. Obama gave the go-ahead in secret discussions with Putin.
5. Nuland gave the big "FU" to the EU.
6. And there's a bunch of Nazis in the interim government.

While we're busy thinking about 1 thru 6 there ... who's thinking about the common man in Ukraine?

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

PheonixReborn

And my Neanderthal DNA is itching to take back Europe.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by ProfessorT

I agree. NATO planners are busy planning while politicians are busy politicking. Before we get off into a bad rhyme, where are the people who are capable of some math? Not in European Command or Political leadership, it seems.....

So basically...If Putin wants it, he can take it while the West openly says they can't do anything for even having a plan in place until the middle of the month. In the meantime, Russian troops are out of garrison in a way they just can't remain indefinitely. They're going to go forward or backward...but they are going somewhere. Logistics kinda demands that much.

Yeah.. It's going to be one of those things.. (sigh)

It means that they have ceded Ukraine to the Russians and are now looking at reinforcing surrounding countries.
There is no political will in NATO to stand up to this as I am sure Putin has already calculated.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Just curious... if the alleged Obama/Putin meeting was 'secret' how do we know about it and how do we know that Obama gave Putin the 'go-ahead'? That assertion seems outrageous (and politically motivated) in the extreme. The fact is, there was NO way Putin was going to risk losing his warm water naval base amid an unstable and uncertain Ukraine. No way. There is nothing that NATO, the EU, or the US could do to stop this short of significant military confrontation. And if anyone (besides maybe John McCain) thinks that is a viable option they are clearly insane.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

jtma508
reply to post by Snarl

Just curious... if the alleged Obama/Putin meeting was 'secret' how do we know about it

I was being mean. You got me.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

There are more back room discussions between "enemies" than we'll ever know. If something like this did take place, it was probably through intermediaries so the president has plausible deniability. Could you imagine the outrage if people learned about back room wheeling and dealing about the breakup of someone else's country? It wouldn't be the first.....

And as you stated, Putin not willing to give up his naval base would be the justification for such back room deals.

"If you agree to take only Crimea and do so without our public consent, we won't retaliate by doing x, y, and z."
edit on 2-4-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Putin should not play war with Ukraine until and unless there is something serious happening to Russian group in that country.

War and chaos is all nonsense, near or far. Do not wish that on anyone.

Worst is far away wars do come to near us indirectly in economic and social ways.

Mr. Putin please enjoy the spring and plan some peaceful beaching in the summer. I am sure you will get a beach bear or two to grapple with and feel in good shape.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I wonder why NATO decided to make another statement on this today. Nothing has changed in the last several days from where we sit (social media etc). The last I heard there was a small group that withdrew from the border but otherwise the situation has stagnated.

It seems like it would have been wiser if Putin wanted to invade eastern Ukraine that he would have done it already. He may be trying to stir up chaos with "provocateurs" as an excuse to invade but failing. Who knows.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Yea, we know these kinds of things happen routinely but it is speculative in the extreme and politically expedient to suggest that any such thing happened here. There is NO evidence that any such 'deal' was made and to assert or suggest that is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If Vlad was going to invade Ukraine, he would have done it weeks ago from the very begining.

When he had the "motive" of liberating the Crimea.

If anyone provokes an incident in Ukraine, it'll be NATO..or someone pushing NATO into making a move.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

jtma508
reply to post by Rosinitiate

There is NO evidence that any such 'deal' was made and to assert or suggest that is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

I agree it shouldn't be stated as fact, but worthy of consideration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join