It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things are shaking up here in LA county

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

txinfidel
reply to post by gardener

She must be impressed.

i chuckled!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Looks like this is going to be a long night for some people, by watching the live trace.. That was another.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Damn boy, I got my thread out in a hot tick and you beat me by four minutes?
You had to be typing and quaking at the same time!

I like your time better any way, 11:11.

edit on Rpm32814v522014u42 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

It's a pretty shallow quake from what I read in another members earlier Post And yet nobody in my immediate vacinity ( at least a few block square) felt any earth quake. What's going on? Nobody thinks that's strange? Why wound sone parts of the city feel an earthquake that fairly sizable and another not at all?

link   

BASSPLYR
Dude here's the crazy part. I live in Brentwood/ Santa Monica area. My family all live in west Hollywood. They all felt the quake and are alarmed by how long it went.

Crazy part. I just asked three people in my building and two couples walking their dogs over the last 15 minutes if they felt a Earthquake. All if them said no. I too felt nothing. A 5.3 is big. But nobody in my neighborhood ( bundy / Santa Monica / Wilshire neighborhood ) felt anything.

Something strange about this earthquake.
edit on 28-3-2014 by BASSPLYR because: Correcting crappy grammar

1 - its hella shallow! 100m deep?!?

2 - it felt like an extended boat wobble. i had time to realize it's not just my glass of wine buzz, wash off the soap, step out the shower trying to balance, then grab a towel and awaken this laptop from hibernate then find the fragile earth forum to start a post in. granted it was just 2 lines i wrote, but even then we were still wobbling and the neigbors were SCREAMING!

3 - im surprised ur family felt it in West Hollywood, didn't you too? Santa Monica aint far from West Hollywood; they're just more inland from you. my friends in Huntington Beach (which borders ocean county pretty much, felt it to)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

UGHHHHHH.....

My son is flying out in the morning to spend a couple days in Disneyland.

Why now????

I was there for a 6.0 quake. However, I do NOT like the idea of my son being in one. (or bigger)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Looks like this is going to be a long night for some people, by watching the live trace.. That was another.

I'm afwaid to go to bed now, wabbit!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I dont know man 100 meters is pretty deep.

What kinda contest is this?

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Annee

gardener

Annee
This is earthquake country.

A small roller is hardly anything to get excited about.

indeed, Annee.

but i reckon it's been a while 'southern' los angeles county felt anything. luckily i wasn't the 1st in this thread to point out it felt eerily like an (extended) boat (wobble). usually its not so 'grey goose' =D

Been here 67 years. Just feels like another day.

If I'd have lived my life in fear of quakes, wouldn't have had much of a life.

We get it. You are unimpressed. Move on.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Is the news making it sound that bad? I mean I lived through several growing up and this doesn't sound too bad if you still have power and didn't sustain damage or anything. One thing about that area is being built for the small to mid range quakes. That's something.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I've mentioned elsewhere my concerns about a lack of activity on the Elsinore Fault Zone for quite a while. Little to nothing from Corona to San Diego, but plenty of little ones on the San Jacinto.

Anyhow, only felt the biggest- 5.1 so far. Didn't even feel the 3.6 or 2.9's within the past 30 minutes (21:56 pm, PDT).

-edit to add: The EFZ is characterized as being able to produce a 6-7, so lesser than the San Andreas, but still significant nonetheless.
edit on 3/28/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Exactly I live like 2-3 miles away from my family their like around Santa Monica and la cienega and they definitely felt the earthquake. But the people in my neighborhood just down the way felt nothing at all. That's strange to me.

I've lived in la almost all of my life and have been here for every major quake in the last 30 years and felt no quake. I'm sorta alarmed.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

gardener

Wrabbit2000

I'm afwaid to go to bed now, wabbit!

I think I'd be for sleeping under the bed....

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Might also be worth noting the entire area from Brea to the west and south has had substantial petroleum / oil drilling and extraction over the past 100 years or so, and there are still active wells scattered around Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

That's what I'm getting at. This doesn't seem like a " normal" quake.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I find it strange, though, that I'm not even 40 miles from the epicenters and have felt nothing but the largest shaker, and also there's nothing on the off-shore faults. But I also am curious about one SE of Chino Hills and the few north of Ontario over the past hour to few days.

Paranoid? Yes.
Concerned? Somewhat.
Scared? Nope.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well so far, the mainshock-aftershock proportions are well in order, maintaining more than a 1.0 mag difference. So I wouldn't freak out just yet. Problem is, the aftershocks now are numerous, and inching their way towards the EFZ. This quake could have occurred on an unmapped fault, or unknown fault, or unknown fault extension of the EFZ. And they are almost all extremely shallow. Given the wide dispersion of aftershocks here, I find it hard to believe this would be caused by drilling or fracking. Seems tectonic, plain and simple. I don't want to offer advise, but if it was me living near there, I would wait about another hour or two and if nothing happens I'd sleep like a baby after a fresh breast feed.
BUT, don't let down your guards yet folks.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow guys sending my prayers out to you. Hope everybody will be safe in LA and surrounding area. Of course that doesn't account for those who will likely be traumatized by potentially dangerous event.

Regards,

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

BASSPLYR

Exactly I live like 2-3 miles away from my family their like around Santa Monica and la cienega and they definitely felt the earthquake. But the people in my neighborhood just down the way felt nothing at all. That's strange to me.

I've lived in la almost all of my life and have been here for every major quake in the last 30 years and felt no quake. I'm sorta alarmed.

others are asking ( i think even on here in previous posts?) as to why adjacent towns within Los Angeles County did NOT feel it while others right next to them did.

Weird.

I'm not going to dismiss the volcanic activity theory... after all California geology and geography is BASED on past volcanic activity.. la is a BASIN because of CRUSTAL WEAKENING afterall.. meaning the crust is thin and what's below it?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Taking in the idea that a basin is like a big bowl filled in with sediments and then having a somewhat sizeable quake in the area, could it be that the S waves are bouncing around creating interference patterns in which some areas feel the effects more and some less due to positive or negative reinforcement respectively?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join