It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Gets Closer to Artificial Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
For the first time ever scientists were able to produce an entire man-made chromosome and insert it into a eukaryotic (complex) cell. Scientists have previously performed the task using more simple organisms such as bacteria and viruses. The organism is then able to pass down the chromosome to any offspring it produces, much like what occurs with natural chromosomes in the wild.

For the first time ever, they were able to insert a man-made, custom-built chromosome into brewer's yeast to not only create a life form but one that also passes down its man-made genes to its offspring.

In theory, it is possible to create an entire "bank" of chromosomes and insert it into a cell to produce a fully functional organism and by the very definition, it would be considered artificial life. For example, instead of redesigning from scratch and replacing a single chromosome like what these scientists did, if they had done that for all 16 of the yeast's chromosome, they would have artificially created an entire organism.

The artificial chromosome, called synIII after the chromosome three in brewer's yeast it replaced, was stitched together via a computer by a team of scientists over a period of seven years...Potentially, scientists could create man-made versions of all the chromosomes in organisms thus creating artificial life.

This brings forth questions of ethics and "playing god". The potential for use and abuse are great. I could see many benefits and some harm from this emerging technology.

For more information check out this short article: Science gets closer to artificial life with first synthetic chromosome

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Man, replicating Nature in a lab = Playing God

No, we are not supposed to use Science this way. Put it to good use and leave Nature alone. She is doing quite well without us.

Spiro

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Spiro

No, we are not supposed to use Science this way. Put it to good use and leave Nature alone. She is doing quite well without us.

Spiro

Isecond that and totally agree.

Children of men springs to mind.
I was going to write a thread on my theories regarding what I believe to be a plan of making sure entire bloodlines are lost but hey who am I?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Spiro

Spiro

Just keep under your rock and you'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

jazz10

I was going to write a thread on my theories regarding what I believe to be a plan of making sure entire bloodlines are lost but hey who am I?

You are the guy to make that thread happen, that's who you are

Make it so,

Spiro

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

GetHyped

Just keep under your rock and you'll be fine.

What has that got to do with the OP?

Spiro
edit on 28-3-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

I think this is pretty cool actually! Yes there could be some horrible uses for it but there could be some remarkable ones as well.

Why can't we play god and create new life forms?

Don't we play god every time we us contraceptives? We choose to use condoms and birthcontrol in order to have sex with a reduced chance of some one getting pregnant. So essentially you are playing god by making a choice between safe or unprotected sex.

Stuff like this is cool and I hope they continue further research into this field.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

They are no closer to life.
It took the scientists 7 years to just slice and dice/ alter the existing simple yeast chromosome by removing what they thought were "non-essential genes" and replacing them with other already existing "non essential genes ".
*Feel like eating some GMO viruses (and yeast) since you are told these spliced and altered genes are then replicated in the host.

edit on 28-3-2014 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

snypwsd

Don't we play god every time we us contraceptives? We choose to use condoms and birthcontrol in order to have sex with a reduced chance of some one getting pregnant. So essentially you are playing god by making a choice between safe or unprotected sex.

What your describing is a natural process in which two humans that have sex are part of Nature and the Universe as a whole. This is not playing God, it is natural for us humans to do such a thing. We have the parts after all

The Lab has is not natural. We are creating by means of manipulation and not naturally

Spiro

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 28-3-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Spiro

jazz10

You are the guy to make that thread happen, that's who you are

Make it so,

Spiro

I don't know if you are actually been sarcastic there lol.
When I write threads it seems no one understands them lol.
If I write a long thread they cant be bothered to read them.

When I provide links they say they cant be bothered to read them all

or it all stoops to anothrr level where I am ridiculed and insulted then my thread is derailed.

I'd love to write a few actually but people need tounderstand I type as it comes to mind, write as I see it. I dont sit planning I see connections and join the dots.
I find it simple and if people understood my threads they would see that what I have posred has actually come true and is coming true.

I would appreciate it if you would to go onto wikipedia and search for
"Thought Experiment"
I do this easily....some would aay it's a gift I'd say it's a curse because I see things befoee they happen.
I don't see it as psychic it's not like what I have read about. It's something else. Something else completely.

The butterfly effect is.

I see a way. It's not the path that's the problem. The problem is convincing everyone else.

I see connections. Admittedly my Iridium thread is a nightmare to read through and the title is wrong.....hindsight is a wonderful thing but hey.

So,.......forgive my reluctance. I put a lot of time into threads and to be slated basically from start to finish........well its far from finished as I cant do it on my own.

But, if you are serious and asking my opinion I would. On the condition that my intentions are nothing but good.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Like so often with new technology, this is both cool and scary. I'm guessing that the point where a species learns how to bio-engineer its own chromosomes or create new artificial life forms is every bit as risky and dangerous as the point where it learns how to use nuclear power.

Maybe it goes well, or maybe not...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
How long before they make a woman with common sense I wonder?
Big market out there waiting for it I tell you......

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

If the military are supposed to be 44 years ahead of what the public see, imagine what they have already acheived in there black projecks.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

stirling
How long before they make a woman with common sense I wonder?
Big market out there waiting for it I tell you......

If men don't have it, why should women?

top topics

join