It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can this be considered a Dragon?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Researchers in Indonesia have discovered what looks like a teeny tiny dragon. As yet, we have no information on whether they guard small piles of gold or attack miniature castles.
This was a nesting female found in the Lambsuango Forest reserve in 2009 and was immediately released after this photograph was taken.
No everyone, this is not photoshopped. Just google 'gliding lizard' - there are around 15 described species, mostly found in South East Asia. This is thought to be a new species with the genus but further study will be required to confirm that.
For those saying it must be fake, because they wouldn't have released it ... there are actually laws about taking animals off of reserves you know. They're called reserves for a reason. SMH.

Evolution at I.F.L.S.

Draco volans, commonly known as the flying dragon, is a species of lizard endemic to Southeast Asia.
It is a member of the genus of gliding lizards Draco. It can spread out folds of skin attached to its movable ribs to form "wings" that it uses to glide from tree to tree over distances upwards of 8 metres (26 ft); however, like all modern reptiles, it lacks the ability to sustain powered flight, and is capable only of gliding.[citation needed]
Its wings are brightly coloured with orange, red and blue spots and stripes, and they provide camouflage when folded. The flying dragon can reach a total length of up to 23 centimetres (9.1 in). It feeds on arboreal ants and termites Wiki

At first I thought it was a Hoax but then I easily found information on Draco Volans. They certainly make the imagination go wild.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Looks cool, but unless you can light your cigarette with it....

+4 more 
link   
I want one I would even buy the lil guy a castle to guard in the aquarium.

link   
Flying lizards and snakes are pretty cool. I think the flying snakes are cooler.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I know people in the older days were smaller than us, but this is ridiculous

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It does poke holes in the rationale behind the movie Reign of Fire.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I wish I had a miniature dragon to light my smokes for me

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Are we so sure it's not just sat on a butterfly?

Very cool!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

OK now that's enough of that. Snakes scare the crap out of me as it is I sure do not need to be watching the skies for them.

Thanks for the nightmares.

Well it was a cool video and I have seen them before but I didn't know they could fly. Damn it I am seriously going to have nightmares.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Don't worry, they can't really fly...It's more of a jump than anything.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidWarrior

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Thanks Grimpachi!! You never know what you're going to see for the first time on ATS! S&F for another great find!!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Mini dragon... how cool is that.. so cool..

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

seabhac-rua

And you would name it...Zippy? Sparky?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Phage

seabhac-rua

George.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
What a beautiful lizard! I would love to have one for myself!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

They look like little dragons to me! Maybe they aren't big enough to raze a castle or anything, but they "fly", sort of, and look really cool! Of course, not all dragons flew.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

LOL I am watching the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug ATM and I am at the part where he is talking to the Draggon. It is funny because I keep tinking of the tinny dragon. Hobbits would have to be a lot smaller to make the story work. Same with the treasure.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This is old news, I'v had that exact same photo saved on my computer for years... even did a painting of it.

It's more like a flying squirrel.. but reptilian. It doesn't fly, it glides... I would never call that a dragon. *lol sorry, I have an obsession with dragons.*

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Phage

seabhac-rua

How about Mr Bunsey?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join