It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Are the Most Segregated Schools? In Liberal States!, Of Course!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Where are the most segregated schools? In Liberal States!

Traditionally “progressive,” liberal and Democrat states are the most segregated in the country, according to UCLA Civil Rights Project researchers.

Anyone who’s travelled or experienced even a tiny part of the U.S. with open eyes, already knows this, but now it has been thoroughly studied, documented and published.

In a blow to the holier-than-thou of democratic demagogues, the study revealed that Democrat strongholds are the worst in the nation for desegregation and equal educational opportunity among American students.

Not one Southern State even ranks among the top-ten most prejudiced and segregated!

As reported in The Huffington Post, The Associated Press, and New York Times:
The Nation's Most Segregated Schools Aren't Where You'd Think They'd Be

John Kucsera and Gary Orfield, of the UCLA Civil Rights Project have published the results of an extensive project that covered public school enrollment between 1989 and 2010, and it is clear from the details that liberal bigotry rules, and perhaps results in the Freudian response of “projection” against their most conservative counterparts.

"In the 30 years I have been researching schools, New York state has consistently been one of the most segregated states in the nation – no Southern state comes close to New York," Orfield said.
Other states with highly segregated schools include Illinois, Michigan and California, according to the Civil Rights Project.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Who would’ve guessed that New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago are filled with, and their schools run by, racist, self-important, narcissist bigots?

Oh, yeah; anyone with half a brain!

The longitudinal study examined public and charter school enrollment, housing patterns and political attitudes to find some deeper explanation for such failure and antipathy to the most needy of their populations.

New York state has the most segregated public schools in the nation, with many black and Latino students attending schools with virtually no white classmates … .

"To create a whole new system that's even worse than what you've got really takes some effort," said Gary Orfield, co-director of the Civil Rights Project and an author of the report.

Orfield said the Civil Rights Project is preparing reports on several other states, including an in-depth look at California.

hosted.ap.org...

Of course state elected officials and school district representatives saw things differently; they viewed their efforts are reflective of open-minded attitudes and policies:

New York City Department of Education spokesman Devon Puglia did not address the findings of the report, but said, "We believe in diverse classrooms in which students interact and grow through personal relationships with those of different backgrounds."

State Education Commissioner John King called the findings troubling and added, "The department has supported over the years various initiatives aimed at improving school integration and school socioeconomic integration … ."

James Merriman, CEO of the New York City Charter School Center [said] … "instead of focusing on the bogus conclusions of this study, we're going to focus on providing a great public education to all of our students, no matter where they live."

The report, which used U.S. Department of Education statistics, also noted increasing segregation in upstate cities including Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.

The authors intend to release more in-depth reports on California, Illinois and Michigan later this year, but concentrated their efforts on the nation’ largest district.

”For several decades, the state has been more segregated for blacks than any Southern state, though the South has a much higher percent of African American students," the authors wrote. The report, "New York State’s Extreme School Segregation," looked at 60 years of data up to 2010, from various demographics and other research.

I hope the authors and their teams are thorough in their study and thoroughly debunk the long-sustained myth that Democrats and their socio-political and welfare policies are beneficial to minorities in the U. S.

By the way, did anyone see the reports on this ground-breaking study on ABS, CBS, NBC or MSNBC broadcasts last night?

I didn’t think so.

edit on 27-3-2014 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Wow, that's crazy. But now that I think about it, it makes sense. Baltimore (liberal city in a liberal state) is HEAVILY segregated. Heck when we elected Martin O'Malley was Mayor a while back, it was a HUGE deal because he wasn't black.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It could be argued that the "need" to help or assist certain people by rule or default.

Is a bit prejudice in and of itself.

speaking nothing of race involved.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What's really funny is that all of these recent studies, like this one, and like the one saying that the most welfare reliant states are in republican states...it just makes you think.

What we are finding here is that the ideologically, those states that fight something the most, have the most of it. Southern states railing against Obamacare and the welfare nation.. have the most need for those programs. So, what does this really tell us? That a democratic leaning state will have the worse equality or the republican leaning state will have the most welfare. Why is this? and it isn't just these two issues either. It's pretty crazy, really. perhaps the law of attraction statement says it best. "What you resist, persists"??

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Racism is awesome isn't it? Think about it.. We bitch and whine about someone who is black, white, green, blue, and maybe pink but I heard they got a pass sometimes..

Stupid people and their stupid ideologies...
edit on 3/27/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I`ve been in L.A. and Chicago numerous times and have never liked how segregated their neighborhoods are. There are very well defined lines and you're usually either in an all-black neighborhood or all-white. In New York I don't get that feeling. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and even Harlem you`ll see whites, latinos and blacks living side by side. The super-strict segregation of places like Chicago and L.A. is weird to me and I`ve wondered why that is.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And many neighborhoods are segregated in large cities whether by design or economics (and no, I won't let you bus my kid across town to fill a quota).

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Elton
And many neighborhoods are segregated in large cities whether by design or economics (and no, I won't let you bus my kid across town to fill a quota).

Why?

Is it for fear that your children might not achieve the same education they would near by?

Is it they may mingle with a different socio-economic class than they would?

Or is it just down to the inconvenience in the change of distance?

Just curious.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

benrl
Is it for fear that your children might not achieve the same education they would near by?

Just curious.

Education and distance. If I live in a neighborhood I like to interact with those neighbors, same with school faculty - distance makes it more difficult to stay involved.

I remember it was the same as a kid (I knew kids from other local schools but until Junior High I did not interact with them much). Much easier to have the same neighborhood friends go to the same school.

EDIT: I didn't really think about it at first, but I would have hated to be the rich kid at a poor school or the poor kid at a rich school. Neighborhood schools are what I grew up with so I feel comfortable with them.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Elton because: more info

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

fair enough, curiosity sated.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Washington, D.C. is also one of the most racially-segregated districts, but it's not a "state," so it doesn't count for much in this part of the study.

More will come.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Skyfloating
I`ve been in L.A. and Chicago numerous times and have never liked how segregated their neighborhoods are. There are very well defined lines and you're usually either in an all-black neighborhood or all-white. In New York I don't get that feeling. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and even Harlem you`ll see whites, latinos and blacks living side by side. The super-strict segregation of places like Chicago and L.A. is weird to me and I`ve wondered why that is.

Look at the ages of the cities mentioned.
Plus, tthe minority populations of states West of the Mississippi tend to stick with their own, for their own safety and business. This required them to usually locate in the urban regions where there were small established populations of whatever demographic. Safety in numbers. Im talking post Civil War on...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

In this "post-racial" era of American life and politics, it should not matter or make any difference in any interaction between government and citizrn.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

If you read the study, you would see that the largest populations of Blacks and Latinos are in the South and West; this may explain some of the disparity you noted. Minorities tend to be most segregated by housing and schools in the North and along the east and west coasts.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

jdub297
reply to post by benrl

In this "post-racial" era of American life and politics, it should not matter or make any difference in any interaction between government and citizrn.

You plan for the world you live in, not the one you'd like to.

People are inherently tribal, to deny that, is to deny human nature.

Some people are better at others at overcoming their baser instincts, others like to wallow in them.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

True enough. As it is only about an hour south from Baltimore, I've been there enough times to know that this is also true as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So ... let's see. By this logic if a State has a) a certain political bent and also has b) a certain notoriety for some arbitrary reason, then of course it follows that c) the reason for the notoriety is the predominant political preference of the residents?

Let's see if that holds up:

Following the same logic, since New York also leads in computer-science education that means that Liberals are the only ones who care about providing educational opportunities in computer science. Right?

And since California leads the nation in updating its electric grid, then obviously, Liberals are the only ones who care about energy delivery efficiency. Right?

Let's turn the cart around the other way. Since Georgia leads the nation in bank failures, obviously, Conservatives just don't know how to run a bank, right?

And here's one that will really bring the point home ... since Texas leads the nation in Obamacare enrollments, why, that must mean that Conservatives LOVE them Obamacare, right?

Basic logic is simply invaluable. "Non causa pro causa"aka the Fallacy of False Cause: "You presumed that a real or perceived relationship between things means that one is the cause of the other."

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

benrl

Elton

Why?

Just curious.

Perhaps it's because in the 60-year history of "busing," there has not been a single success story of any scale.

"Community" means more than socio-economics in many places. I grew up in a neighborhood with people of many levels of economic success; there were low-income, rental housing and "rich" homes. My classmates were just as likely to be named "Pruske," "Wilhelm," or "Garcia" as "Jones."

What we all had in common were shared values and a desire to help each other without reliance on government. Single moms and people without jobs were assisted by their neighbors; there was no "welfare mentality." Senior year, the class president was white and the valedictorian was Latino; the prom king was black and the prom queen white.

I was raised in South Texas and we learned to live together very early on.
One advantage we had over everyone else were a multitude of military bases within a few miles, and the active-duty and retired members and civilian employees populated the area with people from every nationality and ethnicity.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

I applaud your brilliant post.
...and I know why Georgia has so many bank failures...to start a bank in Georgia, all you needed was one million dollars and a couple of people to sign a piece of paper and WHAMMO! You are a bank! So a lot of construction companies and financial portfolio managers, etc. Would make their own bank...housing market went...Atlanta should have been renamed Atlantis due to all of the underwater mortgages (even today). "Banks" closed as companies liquidated assets.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

benrl

jdub297
reply to post by benrl

You plan for the world you live in, not the one you'd like to.

People are inherently tribal, to deny that, is to deny human nature.

Some people are better at others at overcoming their baser instincts, others like to wallow in them.

You've missed the point. I wasn't commenting on tribalism, I was noting that it is government that fosters division and segregation.
The "Great Society" and other such failures led to more segregation and concentrations of poverty than tribalism.

As for "human nature," common values and needs trump ancestry almost everywhere.
Culture and language can make us different, but need not separate us.
We celebrated Cinco de Mayo, "Juneteenth" and the Fourth of July with community picnics and celebrations.
Where we came from mattered much less than where we were and how we got there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join