It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate People That Don't Tip - Here Is Why!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was going to reply to another thread on this matter, but I decided to start my own. Whether or not I agree with the tipping process or not; if you frequent any establishment for food or spirits they work for tips. If you don't like the service you are entitled to voice your displeasure with the management and take your business elsewhere. If you take up space in an area that is designed to provide service for others too, then have a brain and use your common sense; they are there to make a living. If you serve 4 tables and make an average of 5.00 per table and you have a shift that is 4 hours long you might make 80.00 dollars. That is the nature of the business. I do not think bad service should be rewarded, but consider this; it is not always the servers fault; you have no idea what is going on in the kitchen, at the bar, with the server station or other tables. There are many factors involved that often have nothing to do with your server; that is what managers are for.

As someone that has been in every facet of the service industry, I feel that I am overqualified to speak on this matter. This is very petty considering how much crap is going on in this world, however, I have decided to weigh in.

People that work in the service industry doing anything to provide for the public have a responsibility to do so without mention or worry of tips. I have been a manager, a server, a dishwasher, an expediter, a bartender and a cook and each and every job has its own function and its own salary structure.

If you take the job at any level, you did so on your own free will. Nobody forced you to accept the position.

If you are a customer (as I have been) then you are allowed to have expectations for your service. I have always done my job above and beyond and customers are no different from the people that are serving them. Some customers have a better understanding because they have been there or they have family members that do similar work. The server is the one that interacts with the customer the most and unfortunately not all servers are motivated by giving great service and hoping for a tip. They deal with 1000's of customers and not all customers have the same frame of mind for tipping, whether they get great service or not.

How I trained my servers was to to do their job and provide the best service they possibly can and if they had any problems I could help them with to come and find me. It is the manager's job to make sure the servers have the proper tools at their disposal in order to provide proper service; tip or no tip.

I am not a fan of tipped service by any means, but it is a standard acceptable practice in 90% of the world in any service industry. Even if tips were not allowed that would not guarantee great service and it would not stop certain customers from trying to circumvent rules (bribe) in order to get special favors.

As to this specific situation, I was not privy to the demeanor of the establishment, the server or the customer in this case; that being said, if I were the server I would have acted differently, I would have continued to serve whoever was in my station consistently without any regard for their purchasing habits. If I was the customer, I would have made sure I explained the situation to the server and assured them that they were appreciated for their hard work (tip or no tip) and if the server dismissed me in any way, I would have gone to the manager and explained the situation to them. If I was the manager and you were the customer I would apologize for any inconvenience. If you were my server I would make it clear to you that while I support your desire to be tipped fairly for your services, the customer is only a customer as long as they frequent the establishment. For every 1 customer you tick off, the potential is 100 fold that they will tell their friends and so forth.

Being petty about your server goes both ways. You should have given them a tip and for future reference, a cover charge has no bearing whatsoever. The tip is at you discretion unless there is a policy in place to allocate an auto compensation. I suspect if you had every been in a service related job such as the ones described in this reply, you would have a better understanding. If you have been, then shame on you for not. I wouldn't expect anyone that has never done this type of work to actually understand the level of crap dealt with from...oh...lets see....someone like yourself.
edit on 25-3-2014 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think the tipping procedure is all wrong. Its basicly unfair to believe that servers can make their living by those without decent salary. They should raise the salaries so that all tipping scene/deception would be gone all together and all customers served equally and not by how much they tip.
Also i have to admit i like Gordon Ramsey´s kitchen nightmares.. thats where the deception is.. even the managers take % out of servers tips even they are not really " titled " to. And other staff receive nothing from those even their input is as important if not more ( dishwashers) .. system is twisted and it allows to take advantage of others.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If you did read the other thread you would have read that in some countries there isn't a need to tip unless you think the service was exceptional. The service people get paid at least min wage. I agree here in the US everyone should tip no matter what, how much you tip should be based on the service since most US service employees don't make anywhere near minnium wage.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I don't just tip, I give them the whole thing.*Facepalm* Alright, I'll show myself out now for that bad joke...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Yeah. Well, there is more to the picture of tipping than what you want to concede. Consider that there are a lot of underfunded (poor) people out there today. They used to eat out more often. Today, not so often. When they feel they can manage a bite out these days, tips from them may be meager or non-existent.

So which would you rather have, people in the joint, paying for the actual meal, making work for everybody or less people and the wait staff if not the whole outfit out of work and a "For Sale" sign on the front window? Like it or not tipping is just the, ahem, tip of the iceberg, a sign of the times.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I instantly dislike my server simply because they already believe they deserve my extra money the moment I walked in. In an establishment that I could have likely ordered at the register and walked my own food to a table.
But no. I'm forced to consider the bells and whistles lie of being served.

And what's the number one thing they all say to justify you giving?
"Because they/we get paid so little and we need it"

That is 100% the fault of everyone who ever accepted that job and let it go on that way.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This thread is considered a duplicate of the original:

I hate tipping.

Please add to the ongoing. Dissenting opinions, are indeed on topic.

~Tenth

top topics

join