It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India, Ancient caves discovered near Kurnool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ancient caves discovered near Kurnool

A group of caves inhabited by ancient humans has been discovered in Akkampalli near Kurnool district’s Sanjamala.

The site, found by researcher K. Ramakrishna Reddy a few months ago, is thought to be contemporary to the existing rock sites at Ketavaram and Chintakunta near Kadapa district’s Muddanur.

The discovery is archaeologically significant as the caves contain artwork that depicts the state of civilisation and culture 7,000 years ago.

The site comprises five caves — three natural and two rock-cut — the etchings on whose walls throw a great deal of light on the life, culture, traits and beliefs of the era.

Not much in the way of images but still an interesting find. I'll post some images as they become available. The image from the article wasn't very informative. Always cool to hear about a new find anywhere in the world

Stay tuned.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

SLAYER69
Ancient caves discovered near Kurnool

A group of caves inhabited by ancient humans has been discovered in Akkampalli near Kurnool district’s Sanjamala.

The site, found by researcher K. Ramakrishna Reddy a few months ago, is thought to be contemporary to the existing rock sites at Ketavaram and Chintakunta near Kadapa district’s Muddanur.

The discovery is archaeologically significant as the caves contain artwork that depicts the state of civilisation and culture 7,000 years ago.

The site comprises five caves — three natural and two rock-cut — the etchings on whose walls throw a great deal of light on the life, culture, traits and beliefs of the era.

Not much in the way of images but still an interesting find. I'll post some images as they become available. The image from the article wasn't very informative. Always cool to hear about a new find anywhere in the world

Stay tuned.

Cool, Slayer. S n F!

I'll keep checking back for those images.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I can't wait to see pictures of their fancy ancient alien flying machines and hats.
You just don't usually hear about prehistoric art depicting daily life. Maybe a hunting scene or a religious scene, but not much more than that usually.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I know right, all the stuff coming out of India about chariots of fire, but this is a good find. I like all the old stuff and finding out about our past. Good job again Slayer.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I thought some here would appreciate it?

edit on 25-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

120 years ago in the area I lived in, about half of the population lived in "dugouts". They dug out houses in the sides of hills along the nearby escarpment. Very rocky, lots of caliche in the area. It was hard to dig out a home....but it was effective for the poorer folks in the area.

My grandparents lived in dugouts as young children. My dad had a dirt floor growing up.

We are not very far removed from having a substantial troglodyte population among us here in the US. I am not so sure cave dwellers were primitive in any sense of the word, at least not without some substantial excavation and record.

Thanks for sharing.
You gave me something to mull over while i partake in the ages old ritual of cooking meat over an open flame. Although I am cheating this time by using propane.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Every week I look for a new thread authored by you; I really look forward to my vicarious vacations!
Thank you, once again, for sharing your astute research skills with us!
Ms.Nuggeet

Uh....I mean 'Nugget'. When in Rome.....
edit on 200000077America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The more you think about, the more apparent it seems that the all the ancient people had their stuff together. This kind of stuff needs to be made more public so everyone can really see and not go off what their teachers taught them in school. We are missing so much knowledge from our past. Caves are the most natural and safest homes to have. You don't about any disasters taking out a cave system. Can't wait to find out more about them.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

rowdyrich
The more you think about, the more apparent it seems that the all the ancient people had their stuff together. This kind of stuff needs to be made more public so everyone can really see and not go off what their teachers taught them in school. We are missing so much knowledge from our past. Caves are the most natural and safest homes to have. You don't about any disasters taking out a cave system. Can't wait to find out more about them.

Well...thats not entirely true. Earthquakes can kill cave inhabitants, as can outgassing. Not to mention how attractive caves are to other animals. You know what bat guano can do to you if you breathe too much of the area around it in?

But they are viable habitats. Especially if you can secure all entrances and prevent taking up boarders from the wild kingdom.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ive personally always wanted to live in a cave, it seems like with proper cleaning/securing of entrances/ exits and maybe some slight ventilation they would be ideal habitats especially if you are concerned about heating/ac bills. They might be a wee bit low on natural light however...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Hi Slayer,

Great Post. S&F.

South India has some impressive ancient aboriginal habitats.

The Edakkal caves in the state of Kerala, has some pictorial writings/carvings believed to date to at least 6,000 BC.

These are not technically caves, but rather a cleft or rift approximately 96 feet (29 m) by 22 feet (6.7 m), a 30-foot-deep (9.1 m) fissure caused by a piece of rock splitting away from the main body. On one side of the cleft is a rock weighing several tons that covers the cleft to form the 'roof' of the cave. The carvings are of human and animal figures, tools used by humans and of symbols yet to be deciphered, suggesting the presence of a prehistoric settlement.[5]

The caves contain drawings that range over periods from as early as 5000 BC to 1000 BC. The youngest group of paintings have been in the news for a possible connection to the Indus Valley Civilization.[8][9][10]

Historian M.R. Raghava Varier of the Kerala state archaeology department identified a sign “a man with jar cup” that is the most distinct motif of the Indus valley civilization.[11] The finding, made in September 2009, indicates that the Harappan civilization was active in the region. The “a man with jar cup” symbol from Edakkal seems to be more similar to the Indus motif than those already known from Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Mr. Varier said “The discovery of the symbols are akin to that of the Harappan civilisation having predominantly Dravidian culture and testimony to the fact that cultural diffusion could take place. It is wrong to presume that the Indus culture disappeared into thin air.” The scholar of Indus and the Tamil Brahmi scripts, Mr. Iravatham Mahadevan said the findings were very significant called it a "major discovery".

Source

I have been there and the giant carvings are quite impressive.

The theory that the IVC has connections down to the southern most part of the Indian sub continent is worthy to be researched further.

Also, Southern India especially the states of Tamil nadu, Karnataka and Kerala has a high distribution of dolmens, rock shelters etc.
edit on 26/3/14 by coredrill because: edited to add tamil nadu

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Great find as normal SLAYER.

Waiting to see the pics (if they become available). I'll be tuned in.

Star and flag.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Vandalism. I am seriously all for death penalty in these cases.

top topics

join