It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow, just noticed this brand new article.

Ken Ham & Co want equal airtime on the new Cosmos show.

The Creationist group Answers In Genesis, which was already incensed about Neil deGrasse Tyson’s revival of Cosmos, is now complaining that the show lacks scientific balance because it fails to provide airtime for evolution deniers. - See more at: Source

This is a very short little article that cross-references the following prior items:
Arizona Republicans Propose Anti-Evolution Education Bill - See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org... Arizona

Texas Board of Education Chair Suggests Schools Teach 'Another Side to the Theory of Evolution' - See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org...

Texas Conservatives Demand Science Textbooks Incorporate 'Creation Science Based On Biblical Principles' - See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org... f

It also has a link to the radio interview so people can listen. It's only 1:05, and includes the exchange delineated in the article.

I think it would be interesting to let them do it. I'm certainly no Young Earth person, but I do have room in my head for the idea of Intelligent Design. (Of course the rep from the Answers in Genesis is claiming that it wouldn't even be on their radar for the show.)

My dad was a huge Sagan fan, and "The Elegant Universe" stuff...when he died, he was a believer in God, but no religion...
I love watching Morgan Freeman, and the Cosmos show seems it will be very entertaining. On the one hand, I don't really want all of the mystery solved. On the other hand, I do...to relieve my frustration; but that's the human condition, and there isn't much we can do about it, it seems (certainly it's not for lack of trying out all sorts of ideas).

What do you think, ATS? Should they give equal airtime on the show to theological theory? Or have a different show?
After all, it is FOX (of all bizarre turnings of events - why did FOX pick this up? They really confuse me. Maybe they are trying to be balanced by airing this show even when their "News" is so vitriolically 'rightwing'?) Maybe they're feeling the heat?

edit on 3/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: fix the links and close the parantheses

edit on 3/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: add bold to supplemental articles

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

I kinda think it should be a different show. The Cosmos is not about creationism, its about science.

On a side note, the reboot has been a fun show to watch.

+50 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Creation science is anything BUT science. Therefore it doesn't belong on a science show. End of story.

+29 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"Creationists" have entire cable networks that they can air whatever religious programming they want. I think I have 4-5 with my cable subscription.

+34 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I agree, we should learn about how Zeus created the world and Mt. Olympus for the sake of balance.

In other news, fundamentalist mathematicians demand a show demonstrating 2 + 2 = 5 for the sake of balance.

Breaking news: Flat Earthers demand airtime showing the world is flat for the sake of balance.

Science shouldn't be subverted just because a vocal minority of extremists find the results to be philosophically challenging.
edit on 21-3-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

+41 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Maybe when the Sunday morning televangelists let people talk about evolution on their shows, science shows will let the creationist on. Turn about is fair play right?

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Cosmos is a science show. It is not a show about religion or myths. So having creationist, or buddist, or native Americans, or norse or greek mythology on how the earth was created would be silly. It would be like having a historian and scientist in every church on Sunday morning stepping up and giving scientific or historical counter points.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Maybe when the Sunday morning televangelists let people talk about evolution on their shows, science shows will let the creationist on. Turn about is fair play right?

APPLAUSE!!!

(And here I thought ATS was asleep...
please do be aware that I am a follower of science, and I think Ken Ham is a dolt; but not everyone thinks that).

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Why creationist have their own channels for spewing their garbage , and how often do they have opposing scientific views on their channels or programs . I want to see the guy from ancient aliens on a peter popoff infomercial claiming that according to some ancient astronaut people are able to walk again and get free money from god is actually aliens .

what a bunch of whiny babies in that crowd always trying push their crap everywhere and on everyone and cry when the situation is reversed . Sometimes I want to believe in the rapture so these people can sod off somewhere else

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When these people choose to stop believing in fairy tales and absolute nonsense, then they can whine about not having equal time.

They could also produce their own show and get tens and tens of viewers.
edit on 21-3-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I agree, Cosmos is a science show; and it used to be on PBS (ad-free even!)...

what is it doing on Fox now?
Is no one else perplexed by the duplicity of Fox picking up this show? I know NatGeo is also airing it, but somehow it seemed more appropriate as a PBS broadcast.

Any take on that weirdness?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

They should do their own show if they want too get their word out. Then we can all watch them say, "this is how it is", instead of how Cosmos (and real science says), "this is how it might have happened", He he he

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

get tens and tens of viewers.

LOL!!

Yes.

Still - why is this show on Fox? If it was on PBS, none of those people would probably even notice it!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
See what ya did Bill Nye?

You gave the buy a platform for publicity, and now he is using it...

Ken Ham shouldnt have any part of any show, regardless of the fact that creationism and science are not as mutually exclusive as the polar opposites in this "debate" would like to believe.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
well, now that we have heard from the two plus two equals five crowd...
we are going to hear from a representative of the two plus two equals three people...
Faux news is fair and balanced...

So you can decide for your self what you want to believe...

and now stay tuned for a commercial break from our sponsers

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by doubletap

get tens and tens of viewers.

LOL!!

Yes.

Still - why is this show on Fox? If it was on PBS, none of those people would probably even notice it!

It's also on the National Geo channel the next day... And Fox likes ratings like any other network, for commercial time = $$$
simple

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I personally happen to agree with your father, I believe in God , but I don't believe in modern religion. To many people use religion to push their personal agenda, I don't see any reason why God and science don't walk hand in hand. But as to their demanding time on this particular show to spout their particular brand, you tell them NO this is Mr. Tysons show, period.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

To many people use religion to push their personal agenda, I don't see any reason why God and science don't walk hand in hand.

I don't either!!

Neither does the Dalai Lama, for what it's worth.
No matter how it all happened, Big Bang and Multiverses, etc. it's pretty mind-boggling.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

Seth McFarlane is the executive producer and he was the one that got the funding for the show and he produces Family Guy on Fox.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Cosmos is supposed to be a show about science... so make a different show about Young Earth Creationists, otherwise it will get confusing. A lot of things they believe and push are actually scientifically invalid - such as humans walking alongside dinosaurs less than 10,000 years ago.

As a matter of fact, a lot of these YEC theories are new to religion as well - they are apparently being made up on the fly by certain people who apparently have a vested marketing interest in it, or something.
edit on 21pmFri, 21 Mar 2014 12:55:22 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join