It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
NDT Will quit the show before letting creationists have a say on COSMOS.

He is very adamant about that, he believes that they do not get a say in scientific matters such as climate change and the like.

They can demand air time all they want, they are not going to get it as the show is written for science. Its not an argument. There doesn't need to be a balance. And there shouldn't even be a balance in scientific talks to begin with. Creationism is a belief, and that is all it is.

Keep those things separate end let the religious have their own show. I personally do not want to hear it. Science may not always be right, but exploration and finding the answers is what humans do best. Science is the only avenue to do this (whatever branch of science it may be).
edit on 21/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Star!

Yes, that's why it stymies me that the show is on FOX....

but indeed this is what people said might happen if Bill Nye gave Ham the privilege of 'debating' him....

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

A theory like creationism has no part in this show other then to show the insanity of it. I dont see any science in creationism, forgive me if im wrong but is it not based off the bible? Where is the scientific facts in the bible that support creationism?

They just want attention, in order for creationism to be true then they first must have REAL proof that "god" exists first. Seeing as though that is what they always fall back to for proof.

If you add creationism in the show then it WILL become biased as no other religion would have a theory on there. If we keep it based on science then it is unbiased as it is based on scientific fact and not one what one religion says.

Its all just a joke and a publicity stunt. they are trying to remain in the news.
edit on 04314p50421 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Morgan Freeman??

You mean Neil deGrasse Tyson right?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Title really should be "one group associated with Creationism is demanding equal airtime". Myself and probably many of the other 2 billion Christians on the planet couldn't care less about some TV show or equal airtime.

Thank you, and have a great day!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

AlphaHawk

Morgan Freeman??

You mean Neil deGrasse Tyson right?

Morgan freeman did a good series called Through the wormhole, she meant another series entirely.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

No, I meant Morgan Freeman on the SCI channel (Sorry, didn't make that clear) How the Universe Works -- and also Through the Wormhole - I watch them and sometimes my mouth is literally hanging open!; It seems to me that Neil should be on the SCI channel as well....
because so many fox viewers are violently opposed to what he's saying....

so is it a media blitz on the part of FOX to seem more balanced? I've wondered about the differing quality/bias of their network - they produce Bob's Burgers, and Cosmos, but their news is so Glenn Beckish!

edit on 3/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Really?

I didn't get that all from the OP.

No reference to "through the wormhole" that I saw, why would that show even come up when the subject is the "Cosmos" series..Sagan's or Neil's.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I didn't get that all from the OP.

No reference to "through the wormhole" that I saw, why would that show even come up when the subject is the "Cosmos" series..Sagan's or Neil's.

I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit.
I love science, though my brain is not built to 'get' all of it. QM blows my mind, and physics, esp astrophysics is way way beyond my ability (I'm great with language and humanities though!)

I guess I figured readers would extrapolate the shows that Morgan Freeman hosts now since I mentioned Sagan's version of Cosmos.

My bad. I sit shame-faced.

edit on 3/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Ok, right thanks for clarifying.

As for FOX, check the producers, one of them is Seth Mcfarlane, yeah the creator of Family Guy. Weird!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
deleted
edit on 21/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

from what I heard its being brodcasted on multiple networks. Its just starting out on fox. in a few weeks it will be on a different network.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Ok so maybe not so weird, I forgot that Seth is a space geek...look at all the Star Trek and star wars stuff he puts in his shows.

Anyway, here's a good article about how it happened and how it ended up on FOX:

LINK

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Even weirder.
I know NatGeo is doing the rebroadcast on Mondays for now.

Talk about conspiracy to incite the masses!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Yet behind a comic sensibility that is sometimes provocative and sometimes puerile, Mr. MacFarlane is a committed fan of the first “Cosmos” who laments a modern society that he says has lost its fascination with science.

“We’re obsessed with angels and vampires and whatnot,” Mr. MacFarlane, 37, said in a telephone interview, “when there are many more exciting and very real and much more spectacular things to be excited about, that are right in our own planetary backyard.”

When the original “Cosmos” (subtitled “A Personal Voyage”) was first shown on PBS from September to December 1980, it was a watershed moment for science-themed television programming.

VERY enlightening! Thanks for that link and background.

I was a kid when the original Sagan Cosmos was on; my sibs and I were brought up with science, music, reading....

What a strange, surreal world this has become.
That reminds me, I was thinking of making a thread about "surreal" feelings ....

link   
Oh look, another anti-religion echo-chamber thread for militant atheists to circle-jerk in. If any of you actually watched the show instead of just spewing Degrasse Tyson memes on your favorite subreddit you would see that the show started out not about science, but by trashing religion in particular the Catholic church. Nobody asked for that, the show Cosomos brought in religion ITSELF - and the funny part is they weren't even factually correct!

Science Mag: 'Cosmos' Attack on Church gets History Wrong

I don't have a problem with hard science, I don't have a problem with religion, I have a problem with propaganda and falsification. The people with "closed minds" are those who can't even accept the fact that others think differently than them, aka most of the people in this thread - surrounding themselves with some false air of superiority because they don't mind insulting those who believe in a deity.

link   

I think that has to do more with money and reaching different demographics then it is a conspiracy lol

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

Oh look, another anti-religion echo-chamber thread for militant atheists to circle-jerk in.

Wait hang on a minute....
I'm not a militant atheist, and I find the term 'circle-jerk' to be offensive.

So - do you think that Creationists should be given airtime on Cosmos?
You seem upset.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

LiberLegit
Oh look, another anti-religion echo-chamber thread for militant atheists to circle-jerk in. If any of you actually watched the show instead of just spewing Degrasse Tyson memes on your favorite subreddit you would see that the show started out not about science, but by trashing religion in particular the Catholic church. Nobody asked for that, the show Cosomos brought in religion ITSELF - and the funny part is they weren't even factually correct!

Science Mag: 'Cosmos' Attack on Church gets History Wrong

I don't have a problem with hard science, I don't have a problem with religion, I have a problem with propaganda and falsification. The people with "closed minds" are those who can't even accept the fact that others think differently than them, aka most of the people in this thread - surrounding themselves with some false air of superiority because they don't mind insulting those who believe in a deity.

Such ire and all those words doesn't mask the fact that Creation science ISN'T science. Creation "scientists" don't use the scientific method, misrepresent science concepts, and use ONE source for all their information. I don't care what you believe, but don't EVER call YEC science. Therefore it doesn't belong on a show about science.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is just crap. They don't deserve equal airtime. Remember that it isn't just evolution vs non-evolution. It is Christian Genesis vs Evolution. So then, if you give them airtime, you would need to give every other religion in the world air time. There is a better solution though:

What if Ken Hamm... or anyone for that matter, formulated a series of question aimed at evolution or Cosmos? There are questions about evolution and the creation of the universe and earth and carbon dating etc. That would be the more reasonable thing to do. And Cosmos is basically wrapped up anyway...so there should be a follow up show...not a debate. Where these series of questions are answered. Isn't this the smart thing to do? And not even TV or Network show. These costs money. NDGT could just create a little show or video and put it up on you tube. Remember this wouldn't be about giving equal time to Christians but to answer questions that a large part of the population has and to put them in easy to understand terms.

Some of these questions might be- How do you know there wasn't a flood? How do we know that Carbon Dating is a valid form of dating? Are there really missing links in evolution?
edit on 21-3-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join