It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Reality makes leap from Sci-fi to Sony and Microsoft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

ps4 project morpheus

Adam Sessler is not a journalist he plays games

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

What you're describing sounds a lot like Otherland

Otherland is a science fiction tetralogy written by Tad Williams and published between 1996 and 2001. The story is set on Earth near the end of the 21st century, probably between 2082 and 2089 (one of the characters mentions being born in the early 30's, having a kid in her forties, and the story is set slightly more than twelve years after that), in a world in which technology has advanced somewhat beyond the present. The most notable advancement is the widespread availability of full-immersion virtual reality installations, which allow people from all walks of life to access an online world, called simply the Net. Tad Williams weaves an intricate plot spanning four thick volumes and creates a picture of a future society where virtual worlds are fully integrated into everyday life.

His proposed ability to immerse oneself fully in a simulation gives him a great deal of artistic freedom, and the story winds through alternate interpretations of many classical literary works such as Through the Looking-Glass, The Odyssey and The Iliad, The War of the Worlds, and The Wizard of Oz, which are available as entertainment simulations within the series. According to Orlando Gardiner, one of the main characters in the books who spent most of his teenage years in this world's equivalent to MMORPGs based upon J. R. R. Tolkien's fiction, the overall series's events also bear a strong resemblance to The Lord of the Rings.

This would be absolutely awesome to consider. Though the darker implications of where something like this could lead us are quite disturbing depending on how we embrace this emerging field. You know what they've got in their top secret research labs are at least 10-15 years beyond what is shown to us plebes...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I think adam sessler gives it all bet you didnt even look at the vid it even shows sonys new VR rig

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Wake me up when we get hologram technology. Like in Star Trek Voyager, Now that's awesome

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Whens the timeline for this?
Will it provide multi virtual player mode?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

SaturnFX
I love it. Its about time VR gets some proper development. should have been already in heavy development 15 years ago, but whatever, I guess they needed to milk regular graphics for as long as possible before next stepping it.

What was said about vacationing on the cheap is a great idea also. Why travel over to X to visit Y when you can slip on some fully immersive high def VR and explore alpha century or fly a dragon through some mythical land...go into some tavern and meet up with your friends while discussing which adventure you will go on next together while everything is as detailed as if you were in a real tavern...all while sitting at home in your comfy pants.

I don't think it will replace the urge to actually go places, but imagine the ability to go on a fantastic vacation every day after work. For the average working joe, this will be an amazing possibility that otherwise would have never been in the cards for them in reality.

go visit Egypt tonight and crawl through the tombs, or hell, go visit a sim where the pyramids are being built..by aliens of course

V-world here we come.

There were VR systems back 20 years, but the problem was the CPU power. Back then clock speeds were in the MHz range, not the GHz. The most well known system, Virtuality, had headsets built from a couple of small CRT screens mounted in the front and required a good number of Amiga computers. pipelined together, with each pair doing a separate eyeglass and particular rendering stage (clipping/rendering). And that was just for a simple scene.

Rediffusion Simulation had what was a mini-simulator the size of a golf car. There weren't any windows, but on the inside it had a couple of large screens, and the whole assembly could move around. So you really felt you were out over the ocean or fly over forests.

The ultimate system was the RP360, which was on three rotation axis systems, and could let you spin round, even upside down.
Definitely not the kind of system you would use after having lunch.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Mamatus

At the price of gas in the upcoming years it would not surprise me if it becomes the only affordable vacation!

Sorry, but this made me laugh so hard... whenever I see Americans complaining about their gas prices, I feel like you are mocking us Europeans.

Back to topic
I am waiting for the Occolus Rift since a long time and Valve finally started developing their own prototype aswell just to help the occolus rift to improve.
This industry will be growing in the coming years

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I look forward to what the gaming industry looks like 10 years from now when VR systems are pretty standard and people are demanding more and more quality in titles.

-imagines a elder scrolls or fallout title in proper VR-

I still think they need some other tools however. a exoskeleton glove to fit on and maybe some sensors for your keyboard and mouse so that in vr, you know where its at without blindly grabbing your desk and the like.

Also having sensors detect retina movement to pan the cameras a bit in the direction you look (without head movement) would be good. Going to also have to have each individual screen calibrated for the eye of the person in question. someone may be a bit lazy eyed and so if there was retina tracking, it would be looking at two different points and get confused. corrective "lenses" may be in order.

So many applications for this. integrate a camera into the front and transform your surroundings into a forest, or make it seem like someone else is right there in your room, etc

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

Whens the timeline for this?
Will it provide multi virtual player mode?

I think the timeline for this depends on when the next wave of consoles come out. The article mentioned Project Morpheus for the Playstation 4 although I think the Playstation 4 is already available.

"On Tuesday, Sony revealed Project Morpheus, a virtual reality headset with 90 degrees of vision and 1080p resolution. When widely released, it could help distinguish the PlayStation 4 from Microsoft’s Xbox One, which comes with the motion-sensing Kinect."

In short, I don't know the timeline.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

These VR head sets have been talked about for a long time, even many years before lawnmower man. Seems to be still in area of fantasy.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

These VR head sets have been talked about for a long time, even many years before lawnmower man. Seems to be still in area of fantasy.

Yeah, until it's actually real and I can experience it, it just feels like more "carrot dangling" for now.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Far more excited about oculus rift than what Sony just put out. While the sony design has the cool factor the oculus has a far greater field of view. The Sony field of view is crap. My fear is that Sony will put out an inferior product, and thus turn people off to VR (again), before oculus has a chance to get out the gate.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vdogg

Not only what you said, look at the sony price, its damn near $1,000.00, the OR was about $350.00

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join