It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Morning News (?) Shows Are Garbage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm writing this now (in the afternoon) because I didn't have time to write it this morning, as I was going places.

I was up today in the morning, busy getting ready to go somewhere. Somebody in my household has to have the TV on every waking minute, which annoys me, but anyway. There's not really much to watch in the morning but morning news shows (ex. Good Morning America, the Today show). And, I can't speak for other countries, but the morning news shows here in the States are absolute refuse! I don't even know why I have the audacity to call them news since, in that short amount of time that they were on, there was no news that I can speak of.

I didn't get caught up with the situation in the Ukraine, or even the situation with the Malaysian flight disappearance. But I can definitely say that I go caught up with some stupid stuff about yoga, and some stupid, weird Good Morning America, wannabe music video (it was some weird montage thing that is really hard to explain).

The unnamed person in the household flips over to the Today show, and they gave a lot of useless information about the first day of spring.

This section of this article on Wikipedia says that the demographic for the time that I was watching (as a typo I almost put wasting) is mostly female and is called "soft news." Here's the article: "Soft News" Demographic Yeah, I completely get that, but why do I have to suffer the consequences.

I just hate how democratic some things are sometimes. Does anybody have anything to add about this soft news demographic? I guess I have to wake up at 5am to hear real news.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Youll get the "news "You are supposed to hear......at NO time will you get the pertinent news you need to hear.....
We truly live in a matrix.....

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

stirling
Youll get the "news "You are supposed to hear......at NO time will you get the pertinent news you need to hear.....
We truly live in a matrix.....

No joke. I think that if fiction wouldn't exaggerate reality so much, then we could see it for what it is.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Those morning shows aren't news. they are basically commentary, some pop reference news, and ultimately just a small discussion panel that jokes and such. a bit like radio shows.
The idea (which fuels ratings) is to have a sort of round table casual chat over the morning coffee and such to get the viewer off to a good day. This is a popular venue for most given they don't want any huge topics going on right before work and being productive...hense why soo many tune in.

If they went with hard hitting news that early, people would simply switch channels...and end of the day, it is about ratings. Ratings = commercials = finances for the network = ability to stay on air. Sad, but true.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

SaturnFX
Ratings = commercials = finances for the network = ability to stay on air. Sad, but true.

Speaking of commercials, have you seen how many commercials they put on Good Morning America? By the time they get to the "news," my face is numb. I feel like Ralphie Parker, from A Christmas Story, going, "Football?"
edit on bThu, 20 Mar 2014 16:48:38 -0500pm78America/Chicago3pmThursday20America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Everyone knows you come to ATS for the real news....

Looking to other media for real news, is like eating shredded wheat, with no milk.

Des

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My local 5 hr fox morning news is full of cooking segments and special guests. Once every 1.5 hours they will briefly mention what's happening in the world. This typically 2 days after I already read about it on ATS.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Your family is addicted to the teevee. It's not your fault, it's DESIGNED to be addictive; the refresh rate, the way everything quickly changes the picture, they've got it down to an exact neurological science that prevents your eyeballs from looking away. It's quite literally hypnotic and exquisitely diabolical. It's time to cut them off; you can either go cold turkey (expect lots of whining, take them out to the park or to the library for books, remember them? when it gets bad) or you can start out slow by hiding the remote. Chances are they're not aware there are buttons on the damn fool thing that control it, but in any event, it will slow things down considerably if they have to get up and change channels like in the old days.

You don't need that thing on invading everyone's brain while they're eating breakfast, or getting dressed. It really just adds to the stress and who wants Gretchen Carlson's short skirt and brain-dead countenance staring at them at that hour of the morning? Or any of the rest of them, they're all corporate political whores who are reading a script that was written for them by godknowswho, but not anyone that had a clue about reality.

If you've got kids of any age, tell them one hour of teevee a day and that's it. Pick an hour, your favorite show, and that's it. Prepare for more whining but it will be a fun bit of finding out exactly how addicted everyone is. If there's complaints that 'but I have to know the neeeewwwwwssss', tell them what I told my teevee addict mother - 'if anything really big happens, I'll know by the bright white light in the sky followed by the large noise, radiation, and end of civilization'. Everything else can wait, thank you. Get real news from on line, carefully vetted, preferably from overseas. RT, out of Russia for crying out loud, seems to have some of the best news now, as does Lip TV and WeAreChange. Make a game out of it, watch the news coming out of Belgium one week, France the next, and Korea the next. You'll at least learn geography and you may find that the kids pick up some darn good stuff about the reality of other countries compared to here.

If the problem is older people, maybe just cancel the damn cable and find other uses for the money. Cheer up, the first week or two are the hardest!

PS: If what I just recommended freaked you completely out, you're addicted too. It's worse than crack coc aine and it's eating your brain just the same.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Worse is their popularity. There is a market out there who feels those shows are good stuff. They feel their life is better for having watched the "news".

There just are some people who refuse to be engaged and this programming caters to them.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I'm coming closer and closer to that realization every day. I think I need to declare myself ATS obsessed. If you've been on ATS for at least a few months, bottom line, you know what's up.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by halfpint0701

Not only that, but ATS examines things on a deeper level than you could ever imagine. I don't know about you, but I could give a [bleep] about cooking a perfect Eggs Benedict.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I think that television is designed for people to not think critically. There are very few television shows that I like. I can count it with one finger. I don't want to say what it is for fear of people thinking that I'm stupid and not walking the walk. It's just a guilty pleasure.

I don't have any kids. And trust me when I say that I think about what you said constantly. I don't want to expose my kids to all this TV that's going on my household. It might sound like a minor thing to some, but I don't want my kids to be hyperactive from over-exposure to television.

And all the tips you mentioned to get the other person un-obsessed with the TV, I've tried almost everything. And trust me when I say that this person is one of the most stubborn persons I've ever met. I liked television when I was young, but I think that intelligent people grow out of it. There's a lot more information coming out of the internet.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

I'm just glad that I'm not doing something crazy like forcing myself to watch this garbage. For the most part, the television is just on when this person is in the room. I use my free will to turn it off when I'm alone. I'd rather stare at the wall while eating my breakfast than watch drivel.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
American TV is pure garbage except for the walking dead.

I cannot stomach news medias anymore even though I still flip through them for a laugh sometimes. They want everyone to think that they are the majority and that their lifestyles and way of thinking is the correct one and if you are different then you are an uneducated, backwoods idiot when in fact THEY ARE THE MINORITY.

What I don't understand is why can't some normal people start their own TV stations and have news and TV shows that we deem acceptable? WHY? Why can't normal folks have a mainstream radio station instead of some idiot programmer who does the same tired crap over and over? We need our own TV stations/radio stations.

I would like to see a show that comments on what news media reports on and call out the anchors on their BS propaganda. It would be a hit!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I think that there's probably a lot of bureaucracy involved in starting something like that. It's all made to benefit the one with the most power, money and connections. And let's say that you were able to achieve that, who's to say that you wouldn't be offered to sell out?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

That's the thing though; It would never be for sale. It would be 'the other side's views'. We have our news and TV and they can keep theirs. Maybe have some news anchors with southern/Appalachian accents just to drive them all crazy since they think everyone is "ignorant/unedumacated".
edit on 23-3-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I guess it's possible. But consider that if they can't buy you out, they start doing things to discredit you. Look at what happened to Dave Chappelle.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

We would just stand strong and expose every move they make. Drag them into the light every time they do try discrediting us.
I loved Dave Chappelle. There was nothing on TV for decades that funny. I understand he was gettin' a lot of heat from people like Al Sharpton, Oprah, the black panthers, etc, because they didn't like him making fun of black people. That, and Dave said he couldn't stand the nasal-whine laugh of people who were trying to control his show, have him dress in drag, or whatever it was he said, It was a while ago.

The only other comedians that made me laugh that hard was George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Ollie Joe Prater. Dave should come out with a sitcom and stick a thumb in the ribs of the people who forced him out, but they'd probably kill him.

But anyways, back on topic, I'd say that Youtube will be the closest we will ever get to having our own TV station and they will certainly delete any and all opposition.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Actually, YouTube is a great idea. You're on to something there.
You got it right in one of the things you rolled out about Dave Chappelle. I was referring to being forced to dress in drag.

ETA: Sorry for the late reply. I just now saw your reply buried amongst all my subscriptions.
edit on bWed, 26 Mar 2014 21:15:10 -0500pm84America/Chicago3pmWednesday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

top topics

join