It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts compose an �invitation� to the aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Letters to E.T.: If you could leave a message on the World Wide Web for alien lurkers from another planet, what would you say? Back in March, scores of SETI researchers and other final-frontier notables raised precisely that question at the Contact 2004 conference, and asked some of the attendees to come up with an answer.

The result has now been posted online at the "Invitation to ETI" Web site.

There's definitely a message behind the "Invitation," and it's not just for aliens. At the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish, I'd say that we'd do better if we adopted the tone of the site's welcome message when dealing with our fellow Earthlings as well:

"We will treat you with respect, courtesy, friendship, and caring," the message promises. "We will speak and act truthfully, avoiding lies and deception. We will deal honestly and fairly with you, avoiding any temptation to exploit the situation for personal greed or for any particular nation or organization. Without forsaking our own values and integrity, we will be as empathic, helpful, and flexible as we can in understanding and fostering your goals and plans."

E.T. would have to plug into the terrestrial World Wide Web to get the invitation, but Russian space officials plan to make "alien mail" a little more accessible by putting messages on Glonass navigational satellites, according to Pravda. A similar report comes from RIA Novosti.

Text messages and drawings addressed to extraterrestrial readers reportedly have been put on six aluminum plates attached to the Glonass-M 12-L satellite, scheduled for launch next month.

"We have already started accepting applications for the next Glonass-M spacecraft, which is to be launched in 2005. Anyone can submit their applications free of charge � students, enterprises and so on and so forth," Elena Matveeva, a spokeswoman for the Reshetnev Research and Production Association of Applied Mechanics, is quoted as saying.

If any aliens happen to be reading this item and want to pick up their mail, the Glonass satellites will be orbiting 20,000 miles above the third rock from the sun � that's the little blue one � beginning Dec. 25.

What would you tell E.T.? We went through this exercise almost two years ago, but feel free to let me know what you'd say and I'll print a selection of the best suggestions.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

This has me thinking about what some of us here would write if we were sending a letter of invitation to ET. What would you put in it. Share your thoughts then I'll put mine down.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am deeply wondering, if we where going to set up a world wide poll questioning”Would you want Extraterrestrials welcome to planet earth?” Yes, No? If the result where really good or perfect I think it would be time to send an invitation, we can’t always act for our own sake. In other word: Are everyone ready? Also if some extraterrestrial beings picked up the mail they would know better than us I trust.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yeah and im sure Extra Terrestrials understand our human language!

No need to worry at all this is just a plain waste of brass that could be spent on numerous other good purposes.

And whats all that BS about we are caring considerate and will be truthful?

They only need to hover over Iraq to see what kind of "aliens" we are about.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This has already been done no? There was the voyager craft, but sagan and others devised and broadcast a message to interstellar space many years ago.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Id say " What do you taste like?................er, i mean ....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"

Does anyone know if any calculations have been made recently regards where the voyager craft with the invitation might be now? Any links to what was actually on it and who decided what to put?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
the voygers are leaving the halo of matter that is the border of the solar system (which is why it is slowing down a little) voyager one is about
81 AU from th sun(au = astronomical unit, the average distance between earth and sun) and voyager 2 is about 42 AU away from the sun. to give you some propective pluto is 31 AU away from the sun. also the sloar system dosent end at pluto, it also includes the kepler belt of sace debre left over from the creation of the solar system and the oort cloud which is where comets come from. the solar system ends at i believe at arund 100 AU from the sun. so in aout 10-20 years voyager1 will officialy be out of the solar system and in deep space.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Yeah and im sure Extra Terrestrials understand our human language!

Of course they do....how else could they be in constant contact with Meier, Adamski, Walters, etc.?

"We will treat you with respect, courtesy, friendship, and caring," the message promises. "We will speak and act truthfully, avoiding lies and deception. We will deal honestly and fairly with you, avoiding any temptation to exploit the situation for personal greed or for any particular nation or organization. Without forsaking our own values and integrity, we will be as empathic, helpful, and flexible as we can in understanding and fostering your goals and plans."

Great...so the galactic community now knows we're a bunch of bull# artists!!!

"Hey Zzleebo, listen to this message from Earth!"

"Ha! Yeah right! I've been to Earth Xlobloc, somebody's yanking your eyestalks!"

Seriously though...I think my message would include the following elements...

1. We as a species desire peace, but if you cross us, we have no problem going medieval on your alien ass...

2. Speaking of asses...what the hell is with the anal probing?

3. Human flesh has been proven highly poisonous to consume (hey, it's worth a shot).

4. So, which god or gods do YOU worship?

5. So, how's this space/time bending work exactly?

6. Anyhow, welcome to our little ball of mud...

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Thanks Rowsdower! thats a hell of a long way from home, wow!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The following is what I would say:

If you are hear to conqeur us we wont let you, the U.S. may be a weakling, but you've never messed with a nation such as Trinia, we will take your craft and invade your world.

If you are hear as friends who seak peace than welcome to Teomet.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Chances are, if aliens are advanced than us is it possible to keep track of all internet activity of the human population? Like how the government would with their so called special computer viruses they create to keep tab on normal citizens.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
LOL!!!!
SETI is a logical mess

IF aliens are already here, THEN they don't need / want an invitation.

IF aliens are reading the internet THEN they are proficient at languages.

IF they are not on the internet THEN there is no sence in sticking an invitation anywhere...

IF they are on earth, THEN there is no sence in having the search of the universe.

top topics

join