It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

time travel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
if time travel is possible, why do so many people get stuck and fixed on it being achieved by some kinda machinery like in the film 'the time machine'. or 'stargate'?
if it turns out to be possible, it may be through astral travel. or, by very advanced meditative techniques that allow one to 'enter' into other dimensions.
but keeping with technology, maybe some type of nanotchnology that alters the vibrations\frequencies of our bodies that allow us to be receptive to events that have already happened and experience them.
what other ways can you think of?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Butterfly effect,

Timetravelers wife,

and there was another with a similar plot recently where at the age of 18 the character discovers he can time travel like his dad, though I am forgetting the name.

Those are just some off the top of my head, where there was no Machine or science based time travel.

So there are examples of "natural" or metaphysical skill to time travel in fiction, just not as popular or prevalent as using a machine.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Those are the only ways I can think of. The phenomenal and the noumenal.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
If they can physically do this, it would need to be through some sort of portal or jump gate device. Spiritually of course, there is no time. its all at once.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

heard story about two people going in to a cafe in france in which everyone was dressed in clothes from a bygone age and they thought it was just a theme cafe but when they went back next day it was gone.

did they go into another realm?who knows but would love to believe it was true,who knows that ghost storys aint us connecting with another universe.is it just a glitch in the system which we know nothing about?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think perhaps you are just relating your own experience. As benrl said, "Time Traveler's Wife" is a very good example of time travel without any technological help. He just spontaneously finds himself in another time, rather like an unwilling trip through the transporter. but without the need to stand on the circles. Of course, losing his clothes in the process often presents him with some difficulty.

And if you read romance fiction, this plot device is rather common. A modern heroine finds herself back in the 18th century where she attracts the attention of the handsome Earl of Lovejoy. I know you probably don't read historical romances aimed at a female audience--which is rather the point.

So there really are plenty of stories of time travel without mechanization. You just have to know where to look for them.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
People talk about 'time-travel' but what they really mean is 'past event alteration'.

They picture going back in time, gathering information, or changing something then returning to present day to reap the benefits. If there is mechanical time shifting, or even spiritual, there's little hope of changing the events or coming back to present day with meaningful information.

Why? Because even spiritual travel requires our biological presence or use, and we're just complex machinery.

It's fun to speculate, but if time exists as a 'stream' or something we can use, it stands to reason that leaving and returning on the same branch of space-time won't be the case.

At best we can construct virtual realities that mimic the timeline so perfectly it will be as if we actually did the traveling and returning, but will that suffice our yearnings? Possibly.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

I think it is the paradigm of "travelling" in time that is half the problem.

No one can travel in time, just like no-one can travel in space.

Think of it this way, you start in you home city and "travel" to another city. But have you traveled, or where you already there at the other city, just at another time?

Time is a big place, place is a long time. Einstein showed us how to measure time in Meters or Feet!

How long is a second?

(299,792,458 m)

Think about it.

edit on 8/3/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

i like your thinking. very apt.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

I read that as well. In a case like that, perhaps a slip was either arranged for them, or some kind of condition relating to a jumpgate, ie a magnetic pulse or flux of leylines and energies?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

sparky31

heard story about two people going in to a cafe in france in which everyone was dressed in clothes from a bygone age and they thought it was just a theme cafe but when they went back next day it was gone.

did they go into another realm?who knows but would love to believe it was true,who knows that ghost storys aint us connecting with another universe.is it just a glitch in the system which we know nothing about?

were the prices and money also old time?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

sparky31

were the prices and money also old time?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Time travel is theoretically possible, but only into the future. You can't travel to the past because it doesn't exist. Like a lit cigarette, the flame can only jump forward, and nothing is left behind.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Psychonautics
Time travel is theoretically possible, but only into the future. You can't travel to the past because it doesn't exist. Like a lit cigarette, the flame can only jump forward, and nothing is left behind.

and how do you know this?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

taoistguy

Psychonautics

and how do you know this?

I think the key word there was "theoretically".

It has been theorized by many physicists in the way he said.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

i've heard theories that say time travel into the future is impossible cos the future doesn't exist. so, lots of theories. which one\s are really true, if any?
some say only this moment is real. but, how long is a moment?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

Tiny journeys into the future are experienced by astronauts and ISS scientists.

GPS satellites need tiny corrections for their time difference being very slightly ahead.

Otherwise your car could tell you to turn into the side of a mountain.

This time difference is of course relative to that experienced on the Earth with it's slightly stronger influence of gravity on the surface.

Distant travel to the future in many theories needs fantastic speeds.
edit on 3/9/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The idea of being able to time travel without any kind of special machine sounds appealing. I think time travel is possible and it is currently taking place. But I personally doubt it is free. Think about how much it costs to get on a plane and to fly across the world or how much it costs to get on a space craft and orbit the earth. That is the reason why time travel is probably expensive as well.

I think that the 'sci fi' stargate is based on fact and that top secret military has access to a machine that allows travel through time and other dimensions. Every time the machine is operated it must cost millions, just like a space mission. Don't ask me why I think this - my belief is based on a gut instinct.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: taoistguy

what other ways can you think of?

Being in the right state of mind and reminiscing in the shower or in or close to any other water source allows for travel into the past for better understanding of things that might trouble me.

Using the same medium (water) one can visualize what might come, I have found that when visualizing the future and doing so while under running water or close to running water that when you have a deja vu feeling and can pin point the reason for that deja vu its because you visualized the moment while close to or under running water.

To pin point those deja vu feelings can be difficult so I use the process of reminiscing while under the shower and can get taken back to when I was visualizing reality in my head in the same spot under the shower to have a massive amount of energy flow through your body when you realize the thought you had when you were visualizing became reality for you to experience first hand and have a deja vu feeling you cant explain only to reminisce and realize you had sort of predictive vision which triggered the deja vu yet you needed to reminisce to get a full understanding of why you felt the way you did when you had a certain experience.

I sort of double explained what I was trying to say and I really don't know if I am making any sense.

That is how I time travel and go back and change the past by understanding it better than I did or didn't at all before which in turn changes my future by not or by making the same mistakes again, its very relative, depending on any action and reaction, understanding and misunderstanding is what shapes our future.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: taoistguy

but, how long is a moment?

How far to/is infinity? in my view of reality is the exact same question.

Time and space, moments experienced in infinity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join