It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China draws red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Just saw this on Reuters -

(Reuters) - China declared a "red line" on North Korea on Saturday, saying that China will not permit chaos or war on the Korean peninsula, and that peace can only come through denuclearization.

"The Korean peninsula is right on China's doorstep. We have a red line, that is, we will not allow war or instability on the Korean peninsula," Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters on the sidelines of China's annual largely rubber-stamp parliament. Wang called upon all parties to "exercise restraint", adding that "genuine and lasting peace" on the peninsula was only possible with denuclearization.

Reuters

Ok, great. I think we are all in agreement with China here. My question and somewhat concern is, why the "red line" now China? Now you want NK to denuclearize? We all know NK is China's buffer from the west..So they do have an interest in not allowing NK to be controlled by western influence..

Does this possibly have something to do with the tensions in Ukraine? Was NK planning something any different than every other year around this time? Does anyone remember last year or the year before etc etc when NK threatened to nuke the U.S. and S. Korea over and over with "hellfire" and wrath or however the hell they kept describing it? Where the hell was China then? They didn't publicly state a "red line" then.

Last year was the highest level of rhetoric I've ever seen from NK and the last time I fell for the BS, mainly because all they do is talk very serious crap without acting every single year, even when they almost convince us that they mean business. This year they have been very quiet aside from firing a few missiles into the ocean, woop de doo. Due to this oddity, I have to admit, the silence has been deafening since we are so used to hearing them scream when drills with the U.S./Korea are going on this time of year.

What do you think? Why has China decided to draw a "red line" now?
edit on 8-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I think "red lines" mean squat right now. China is just using the DPRK as a buffer between itself and the U.S while simultaneously trying to keep lil kim in check because he could jeopardize their business deals, and business is good. I view the DPRK as China's personal dog on a leash. It's like a hood rat with a pitbull on a chain. They don't want to get bit either, but they think they look cool holding the leash so it's worth the risk for the street cred.

They could very well let the dog off the leash eventually. Won't do them (or anyone else) any good in the long run. China could put an end to the silliness in North Korea very quickly if they wanted to. The fact they choose not to speaks volumes.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
reply to post by Wookiep

China could put an end to the silliness in North Korea very quickly if they wanted to. The fact they choose not to speaks volumes.

I absolutely agree. They should have done this 50 years ago, but we know why they haven't. I just think the timing of the "red line" talk is weird coming from them since that region has been very quiet right now compared to every other year around this time. They could have done this last year, we all waited for it but China did nothing other than tell them to "knock it off" in their own way. China better watch it or they'll become a laughing stalk with their "red lines" just like Obama has, lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

'Denuclearized.' Anyone would feel the same way if the family next door was DIY bomb-making.

Also with China lock-step in the capitalist system, they can't have their markets being put at risk by the anti-social, crazy neighbours potentially leaking radiation or declaring wars.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Easy for China to take pot shots at Obama and the U.S when they are tied up with Putin and the Ukraine at the moment. Just look at China's white page on U.S human rights they released not too long ago. If the Chinese have one thing going for them, it's a strategic sense of humor. Only problem is they know they can only push too far. Lady Liberty might be down but she is not out, and neither are her allies.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
First, I think China makes the red paint that Obama uses. Obviously China has plenty of it!

This is more likely a warning message to the West! There is no reason for Chins to publicly state this and it is unprecedented for China to publicly warn an ally. She can just tell Un privately to pull his head in.

China will not permit instability could also mean "If anyone starts anything, we will finish it." And they can!

P

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Interesting point, I hadn't looked at it that way. Take pot shots at Obama when he's distracted while making it look like they are calling on NK to stop provocations (which oddly aren't really happening right now). Thanks for your input.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
All these red lines ... Hope they don't run out of paint like obama did :-P

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

This is more likely a warning message to the West! There is no reason for Chins to publicly state this and it is unprecedented for China to publicly warn an ally.
reply to post by pheonix358

Exactly. The timing doesn't make sense at all either, unless there is some other motive behind this.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Doesn't sound like a red line to me. Maybe Boncho will drop by for better clarification, but it sounds more like a tentative claim of control ... "You will do my bidding down there." I had a very nice graphic portraying the history of China's incursions. It struck me as ironic that it ended with a slap at the 38th parallel. I looked hard, but couldn't find it on the web. Apologies.

Denuclearization is a laughable statement coming from the Chinese. The North has not needed more than their conventional forces since maybe the '80s. Field Artillery is not called the King of Battle for no reason. IIRC, the North can lift a square kilometer off the map, up to about 30 miles south of Seoul, every 30 seconds, until they run out of rounds.

Doubtful they would use a nuke based on their current delivery capabilities ... certainly not on the southern side of the peninsula ... maybe on Japan, but even that would be a stretch.

The timing doesn't make sense at all either, unless there is some other motive behind this.

If this is something else, it could be a veiled warning the North is planning a conventional invasion during/around this military exercise period. Kim, Jong Un is proving far more unpredictable than his father, and the Chinese may know something's afoot.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Absolutely brilliant, and so very apt. However I don't think Obama could manage a straight line. I am grateful the UK lot weren't in the cartoon.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Think you are exactly right. I suspect that the Chinese know exactly what is going on in North Korea and obviously they are not fans of the new 'man' there, especially if he is less predictable and poses a threat that could bring other country's right up to China's border.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Shiloh7

Absolutely brilliant, and so very apt. However I don't think Obama could manage a straight line. I am grateful the UK lot weren't in the cartoon.

Uk was drawing the pic :-P

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

I've thought about this from a current events/political standpoint too. If the US DoD is going to be drawn down to pre-WWII levels, perhaps this is China's way of 'suggesting' where some of those cuts might be made.

Who knows, if all the warmongering over here took a break for a year, a real nice peaceful reunion might occur.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

We are somewhat renowned for our 'drawings'.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by Wookiep

If this is something else, it could be a veiled warning the North is planning a conventional invasion during/around this military exercise period. Kim, Jong Un is proving far more unpredictable than his father, and the Chinese may know something's afoot.

This is precisely my concern, and it's what raised a red flag concerning this latest statement from China in my mind. I wouldn't have even questioned it normally because it seems some-what paranoid, but this is ATS!

Maybe it's nothing, but it seems out of character for China to be creating "Red lines" with NK right now when NK is un-charactaristically quiet atm during a time they usually aren't.

Besides that, the "red line" rhetoric from China after Obama's failure of using the term without solid actions to back it up? Suspicious IMO.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
China has problems of its own at the moment; increasing numbers of separatist movements and terrorist groups along with growing economic issues.
China doesn't need an unnecessary and destabilizing South Korea adding to its woes.

The only question is too what lengths will China go to ensure peace and stability in the region?

Any 'denuclearization' would obviously be a good move.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I think to be honest this is China telling Un to pack it in especially after this near miss

news.sky.com...

Can you imagine what would have happened if that Chinese airliner had been blasted out of the sky, even by accident? The Chinese would have been less than thrilled to say the least.

I think in the next 18 months or so, assuming the situation in Russia/Crimea/Ukraine resolves itself and does not trigger WW3, then I would say that the Chinese are going to have to deal with a very dangerous and inflamed appendix that is North Korea. It would be in their own best interest to do so. Cause if N Korea lets off a nuke, then all that nasty radiation is gonna blow in their direction and I don't think the Chinese would appreciate glowing fried rice as part of their banquet/meals!!

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
China can't control PRNK...and that's what worries them. Lil kim is unupredictable, if not out of control. China has enough internal problems without having to play asia's policeman.

China openly supports North Korea and what it can't have is a crazy causing problems with the US and whoever else, potentially dragging them into war.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Wookiep
Just saw this on Reuters -

(Reuters) - China declared a "red line" on North Korea on Saturday, saying that China will not permit chaos or war on the Korean peninsula, and that peace can only come through denuclearization.

"The Korean peninsula is right on China's doorstep. We have a red line, that is, we will not allow war or instability on the Korean peninsula," Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters on the sidelines of China's annual largely rubber-stamp parliament. Wang called upon all parties to "exercise restraint", adding that "genuine and lasting peace" on the peninsula was only possible with denuclearization.

Reuters

Ok, great. I think we are all in agreement with China here. My question and somewhat concern is, why the "red line" now China? Now you want NK to denuclearize? We all know NK is China's buffer from the west..So they do have an interest in not allowing NK to be controlled by western influence..

Does this possibly have something to do with the tensions in Ukraine? Was NK planning something any different than every other year around this time? Does anyone remember last year or the year before etc etc when NK threatened to nuke the U.S. and S. Korea over and over with "hellfire" and wrath or however the hell they kept describing it? Where the hell was China then? They didn't publicly state a "red line" then.

Last year was the highest level of rhetoric I've ever seen from NK and the last time I fell for the BS, mainly because all they do is talk very serious crap without acting every single year, even when they almost convince us that they mean business. This year they have been very quiet aside from firing a few missiles into the ocean, woop de doo. Due to this oddity, I have to admit, the silence has been deafening since we are so used to hearing them scream when drills with the U.S./Korea are going on this time of year.

China wants to get rid of their nukes, so they can "Tibet" the entire place.

Make no mistake, people have talked for years about American colonialism, as it was anything like those that did actually try to take over the world. China and Russia both have naked ambitions of empire.

This is the only time your going to hear my saying North Korea having nukes is a good thing.

This is why the US and China or Russia ever fight each other directly, nor do any of the major world powers, save pakistand and India, nobody with nukes has ever gone to war with anyone else with nukes.

I think China has seen Americas reaction in eastern Europe and they think they can make a land grab and get away with it without any real consequences.

What is America gonna do? Not buy their stuff at dirt cheap prices?

No this administration has stumbled too many times in front of these guys, and they think he lacks the resolve of former US Presidents, to make the tough choices and not fold.

I dont know if they are simply mistaking his kindness for weakness.

Or if he is just this soft and easy to run over.

But if I had to bet, this would be mine right here, China wants to pull a "Tibet" in Korea, and doesnt want to have to worry about the North's nukes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join