It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

...But Does It Fire Photon Torpedoes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The earth raises shields to help fend of particularly strong solar attacks. The magnetosphere is not merely a passive defense. It can send plasma to increase the density of the intervening shield; interposing more charged plasma in the direction of an incoming energy stream.

www.newscientist.com...

Earth can raise shields to protect itself against solar storms. For the first time, satellites and ground-based detectors have watched as the planet sends out a tendril of plasma to fight off blasts of charged solar matter. The discovery confirms a long-standing theory about Earth's magnetic surroundings and offers us a way to keep track of the planet's defences.

"It's changed our thinking about how the system operates," says Joe Borovsky at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado, who was not involved in the research. "Earth doesn't just sit there and take whatever the solar wind gives it, it can actually fight back."

edit on 7-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: added excerpt

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That's actually an interesting read

You should bulk up your OP with a quote, to generate more interest IMHO

Cody

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

That's pretty badass.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It's not an "attack and defence" phenomena per say - it's more equivalent of: "When I fill a bottle with water, and the bottle gets full, the overflow will flow out of the bottle". The bottle doesn't fight back, it just blocks further income of water.

Theory had suggested that an extra-strong electric field from the sun can rip plasma away from the plasmasphere during reconnection, triggering a plume. If this plume reaches the boundary between the earthly and solar magnetic fields, it would create a buffer zone of dense material. This would make it harder for magnetic field lines to meet up and spark further reconnection.

It's just a natural and predictable accumulation of dense material. It's not really an attack to the Sun... it's more of a traffic jam.

Additionally, not all "attacks from the Sun" results in the "firing" of "photon torpedoes":

Not every solar storm generates a plasma plume, which means ground-based observations will continue to be vital for understanding the phenomenon.

Seems to me like a way for researchers to ask for even more funds from taxpayers...

edit on 7-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

cody599
That's actually an interesting read

You should bulk up your OP with a quote, to generate more interest IMHO

Cody
done. but it was a short article.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
No Klingons or Romulans

Interesting read though. Thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

swanne

It's not an "attack and defence" phenomena per say - it's more equivalent of: "When I fill a bottle with water, and the bottle gets full, the overflow will flow out of the bottle". The bottle doesn't fight back, it just blocks further income of water.

Additionally, not all "attacks from the Sun" results in the "firing" of "photon torpedoes":

Not every solar storm generates a plasma plume, which means ground-based observations will continue to be vital for understanding the phenomenon.

Seems to me like a way for researchers to ask for even more funds from taxpayers...

--
If it goes towards science and a better understanding on how things work and interact, why not? or you prefer more weapons of war? which I'm for also, but its time to give it a rest and see how our fragile planet is doing.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

SLAYER69
No Klingons or Romulans

Interesting read though. Thanks

---
I would be more worried about the Borg................

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Arnie123
If it goes towards science and a better understanding on how things work and interact, why not? or you prefer more weapons of war? which I'm for also, but its time to give it a rest and see how our fragile planet is doing.

Huh??

(puzzled expression)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

swanne

eh... that might be valid if there were no ground stations already fully funded by ongoing programs or these observations required new equipment or facilities. but these observations were made by existing ground stations and equipment in the course of their normal studies. nor did i see any overt argument made for additional funding or resources.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
on top of that NASA's budget already contains funding for three probes to further study magnetic reconnection events. usually arguments for funding come before something is approved and funded.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

stormbringer1701
but these observations were made by existing ground stations and equipment in the course of their normal studies. nor did i see any overt argument made for additional funding or resources.

Right, thanks for pointing it out to me.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

swanne

Theory had suggested that an extra-strong electric field from the sun can rip plasma away from the plasmasphere during reconnection, triggering a plume. If this plume reaches the boundary between the earthly and solar magnetic fields, it would create a buffer zone of dense material. This would make it harder for magnetic field lines to meet up and spark further reconnection.

It's just a natural and predictable accumulation of dense material. It's not really an attack to the Sun... it's more of a traffic jam.

You're just party pooping.

Everyone knows that the Sun and his group of compadre doesn't stand a chance against Earth's force field.

And I bet my life savings that the rebel fleet does not have the proper Force Field frequency to penetrate Earth's defenses...

top topics

join