It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danger in Pushing Syria Out of Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Danger in Pushing Syria Out of Lebanon

Western Diplomatic Initiatives Could Go Horribly Awry

Early in September, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution calling for the departure of all foreign troops from Lebanon. The resolution � intended to intimidate Syria, which wields de facto control of the Lebanese government � was sponsored by the United States and France, a surprising couple that cooperated for different but compatible reasons. France would like to reestablish a sphere of influence in Lebanon, as Paris had in the post-colonial ancien regimes in Lebanon. The United States wants a more pliant Lebanon, a weaker Syria, a breakup of the triangular relationship among Lebanon, Syria and Iran, a safer neighborhood for Israel and greater U.S. influence in the region.

www.globalpolicy.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
agree but I think Bush would like to invade Syria before his next 4 years are up. Also Russia isn't mentioned in all this and I think they've enjoyed almost anonymity since 9/11.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Invade Irak, Iran, Syria, that's pretty ambitous...... Well, good luck

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexus Panther
agree but I think Bush would like to invade Syria before his next 4 years are up. Also Russia isn't mentioned in all this and I think they've enjoyed almost anonymity since 9/11.

you have pointed out a very important point,

I would think that the Russians would be more 'involved'.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Okay Iraq was a bad nation as saddam was there. Syria is smarter big time, as they know how to handle themselves in a more demplomatic ways.

US will have harder time trying to invade still strong syria and iran than poor iraq which was barly capable of standing on its own.

do u really think that the world wont move like russia and china to stop the US. They wont do it because of their love to syria and Iran but becuase they will be scared of the super super power of the US and off course its little child Israel.

Look at all those empires and wat happened to them , learn for the history it will help u see the future

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by Lexus Panther

you have pointed out a very important point,

I would think that the Russians would be more 'involved'.

Hehe, and believe me the russians hate the americans more then anyone, they are just too smart to let it show.They are good chess players the russians and they will move their pieces when the US is the weakest.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

But no one can be sure how the Shiites, Sunni Muslims, Christians or other Lebanese groups would react if Syria were to leave Lebanon altogether.

Thats hardly a reason to not urge less syrian involvement or an outright pullout.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If such measures reduce radical terrorist threats then I would support them. I think the old thoughts of divide and conquer read true. However, I do not think our continued presence in the middle east is needed and any further agression towards other middle eastern countries would be dangerous. We did what we had to and we should get out. The middle east will never see peace so let them have at each other and let our soldiers live.

top topics

join