It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 year old suspended from daycare, for a cheese sandwich.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow rabbit,

Relax schools will not crumble, if it's the policy of the daycare or school and you don't like it take your business elsewhere.

My son's middle school has now allowed peanuts back in school and it is what it is. My eight year old is more aware now. As much as some parents complained my son has some good friends
that knowingly forgo their peanut butter sandwiches to sit with him at peanut free island.

In that respect I'm lucky, my younger son is still in daycare so hopefully he can make similar friends.

Let's not rip each other apart

Bottom line to the issue at hand is that if a kid did not suffer an allergic reaction to the cheese than no harm no foul. We all make mistakes..

It's funny because a parent can knowingly drop off their sick kid to daycare to infect everyone else but that's ok and that has included head lice.

edit on 6-3-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

chrismarco

Bottom line to the issue at hand is that if a kid did not suffer an allergic reaction to the cheese than no harm no foul. We all make mistakes..

It's funny because a parent can knowingly drop off their sick kid to daycare to infect everyone else but that's ok and that has included head lice.

It's your first comment that I'm going to address...
I can understand that the daycare has a policy that they have to follow, and enforce...but, it would have been a simple action to just remove the sandwich from the girls pocket, and still no harm, no foul. The excessive actions are what I cannot get passed. It was obviously an accident, yet the child and father are being treated as though they were acting with malicious intent. I have a HUGE problem with that. And every time I read stories like this I hear Semperfortis's words echo in my head..."MY RIGHTS BEGIN WHERE YOUR RIGHTS END." I see the policy of the Daycare to be completely one sided. I agree that children with allergies have a right to an allergy free environment, BUT...children without allergies have rights too. Like it or not, that 2 year old had every right to continue to be at that daycare,after the sandwich being discovered and removed. To suspend her, really proved nothing, especially since nobody can prove their was a child onsite with an allergy to processed cheese.
As per your second comment,there could very well come a day when we wrap kids in plastic to send them out into the world..if this current trend continues.
For the record, I truly hope that I did not offend you, or your personal situation with this thread. I myself have a 22 year old daughter with celiac and I know how hard it is to find foods that won't make her sick..thank god it's not anything that will send her into shock.
edit on 6-3-2014 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

all i have to say on this subject is when i was at school i never knew of anyone there that had a food allergy .

maybe they should start to look into the chemicals that are being used to grow and preserve our food .

another thing that seems to be growing are the cases of asthma and hayfever , even autism is on the increase .

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by BritofTexas

The Daycare is accommodating any child with any food allergy. The only way to do this is to control what foodstuffs enter their premises. Nobody reasonably expects a two year old to do this, so the obligation is on the parents. The parent has the responsibility to make sure their child is not carrying contraband.

And that, right there, is the best example of the profound difference you and I have in world views. One view would have personal responsibility rule the day on matters of life and death concern (food allergy) and another would have the authority or state take full responsibility and dictate solutions to the masses for the care of the one.
The one should take responsibility and watch their own needs ...not demand the world alter their lives to redefine reality to their desires.
The problem really is....give it another 10-15 years and there won't be many to even remember how recently our nation wasn't obsessed with P.C. like this. We weren't regulating 2yr olds and what they had in their little brown lunch bags (almost EVERYONE brought their own lunch when I was in school and again..it wasn't THAT long ago) We're becoming a society where everyone needs to just be in a little plastic bubble and bounce each others bubbles to shake 'hands'....lest we take the foolish risk of exposure to infection of some sort. (rolls eyes)
It's just absurd.

The parents of a child with Food Allergies have taken Personal Responsibility by enrolling their child in a Daycare with a such a stringent food policy.

They have not petitioned the Government or the Daycare for these rules. The Daycare chose them as their Business Model and by doing so, took personal responsibility over which customers they wished to attract.

This has nothing to do with being "PC". It has everything to do with the kind of Daycare the Father put his two year old in.

Cheese sandwiches and 2yr olds.....what have we come to?

For that you can blame the Father who took the "Personal Responsibility" to get his name in the press after taking no "Personal Responsibility" for what his child was carrying.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

BritofTexas

Wrabbit2000

The Daycare is accommodating any child with any food allergy. The only way to do this is to control what foodstuffs enter their premises. Nobody reasonably expects a two year old to do this, so the obligation is on the parents. The parent has the responsibility to make sure their child is not carrying contraband.

And that, right there, is the best example of the profound difference you and I have in world views. One view would have personal responsibility rule the day on matters of life and death concern (food allergy) and another would have the authority or state take full responsibility and dictate solutions to the masses for the care of the one.
The one should take responsibility and watch their own needs ...not demand the world alter their lives to redefine reality to their desires.
The problem really is....give it another 10-15 years and there won't be many to even remember how recently our nation wasn't obsessed with P.C. like this. We weren't regulating 2yr olds and what they had in their little brown lunch bags (almost EVERYONE brought their own lunch when I was in school and again..it wasn't THAT long ago) We're becoming a society where everyone needs to just be in a little plastic bubble and bounce each others bubbles to shake 'hands'....lest we take the foolish risk of exposure to infection of some sort. (rolls eyes)
It's just absurd.

The parents of a child with Food Allergies have taken Personal Responsibility by enrolling their child in a Daycare with a such a stringent food policy.

They have not petitioned the Government or the Daycare for these rules. The Daycare chose them as their Business Model and by doing so, took personal responsibility over which customers they wished to attract.

This has nothing to do with being "PC". It has everything to do with the kind of Daycare the Father put his two year old in.

Cheese sandwiches and 2yr olds.....what have we come to?

For that you can blame the Father who took the "Personal Responsibility" to get his name in the press after taking no "Personal Responsibility" for what his child was carrying.

I'm going to have to disagree on one thing in your statement. If I tried to open a private school or daycare that excluded kids with food allergies do you honestly think the doors would ever be opened? Hell no they wouldn't. That would be discrimination!

So no the parents of non allergic kids can't "go to another facility". Unless you can show me day cares and or schools that specifcally exclude children with food allergies so the rest of the kids can eat what they want on premises. This overall situation (not specifically this day care since it, as you said, chose that direction/model to take) is infringing on the majorities rights and freedoms.

I think I'll stick with Wrabbit and say this is the needs of the few completely outweighing the freedoms of the many and completely PC, until they make provisions for the other side of the coin legal.

Lil

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Thanks for your reply.
I know a bit more now.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Lilroanie
I'm going to have to disagree on one thing in your statement. If I tried to open a private school or daycare that excluded kids with food allergies do you honestly think the doors would ever be opened? Hell no they wouldn't. That would be discrimination!

Kids without Food Allergies are not being "excluded" at this Daycare. There is no "discrimination".

So no the parents of non allergic kids can't "go to another facility". Unless you can show me day cares and or schools that specifcally exclude children with food allergies so the rest of the kids can eat what they want on premises. This overall situation (not specifically this day care since it, as you said, chose that direction/model to take) is infringing on the majorities rights and freedoms.

Yes, the parents of non allergenic kids can go to another facility. They can go to any facility. There is no Law or Government mandate here. No ones "Rights and Freedoms" are being "Infringed". If you want to send your kid with a Cheese Sandwich, send them to a Daycare that allows packed lunches. But do not complain if there are consequences for breaking a rule that you agreed to when you enrolled.

I think I'll stick with Wrabbit and say this is the needs of the few completely outweighing the freedoms of the many and completely PC, until they make provisions for the other side of the coin legal.
Lil

The only "PC" aspect of this is promoting the Father as a Victim when he was fully aware of the Daycare's policy. As he is the only Parent in the story, he is "the few completely outweighing the freedoms of the many".

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You didn't even read what I wrote did you? I said that if I wanted to open a facility that excluded kids with food allergies it would never open it's doors because it would be discriminating against kids with food allergies. Also I asked you to show where, if any, other facilities are that do not have food restrictions. As far as I know even public schools follow these rules.

Not to say I don't have sympathy for these kids, because I do. I just feel there needs to be a middle ground and at the moment if you tried to exclude allergic children you'd have the rulemakers on your ass in a heartbeat.

So where do families of kids with no food allergies go to be allowed to eat a cheese sandwich or god forbid peanut butter and jelly?

Lil

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The real issue here is that a child was sent to school with a processed cheese sandwich...

Processed cheese... in a sandwich...

Dont you love your child??

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If I ran a daycare I'd have a zero-tolerance policy too.

Zero tolerance of anyone so allergic they could not be out in normal life.

Sorry, dude or dudette. You got the short end of the straw by being so allergic to cheese that you would die if you were in the same square mile of it. Seriously.

If this trend keeps up soon there wont be any eating, breathing, cleansing at all in any place where people gather, so gee why don't we just get it over with already and just never leave home.

Blame the freaking bottom feeders (aka attorneys) for this.

Sheesh.

P.S. Don't tell me I missed a point or the point here. I don't care. This is just stupid.
edit on 3/6/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

DJW001

Why not just have the hypersensitive kid eat in a different room? If it makes him feel ostracized, it might actually help him overcome his allergy.

Are you for real? You don't just get over food allergies. There is no cure for food allergies, it is not something that gets better over time. I have to live with it every day of my life. I can't eat out, I can't eat at other peoples homes for fear of cross contamination. It is not something i would choose, and being ostracized sure as hell doesn't help me overcome it.

However, if the daycare is meticulous with hygiene practices as it should be, and the little girl is watched carefully to make sure she doesn't handle or eat any of the food, and every one, adults and children, and they have a designated eating spot that she doesn't go near or is thoroughly. cleaned, she should be fine.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Completely ridiculous... a 2yr old is penalized for the actions of her parents who are the adults in this story... her father should thank them for allowing the girl back and he should be handed a hefty fine for lack of interest in the well being of the other kids who may have an allergy...in this case to cheese....what would have been the outcome if that happened and one of those kids ate the said sandwich of cheese and the result was fatal.... how would he feel then.... and what of the 2yr old would she be jailed for 30 yrs..... it's just madness.... this father should have been fined heavily and reminded of the rules and his rights... and never again ever send food into the preschool that does NOT permit it....... is he thick... or just plain stupid... he needs to apologize and be thankful to get away with just a fine and be very grateful the school will still entertain him after 3 days of no access........ human beings......who the hell would want one!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Lilroanie

You didn't even read what I wrote did you? I said that if I wanted to open a facility that excluded kids with food allergies it would never open it's doors because it would be discriminating against kids with food allergies. Also I asked you to show where, if any, other facilities are that do not have food restrictions. As far as I know even public schools follow these rules.

I addressed this in my previous post.....

BritofTexas
They can go to any facility. There is no Law or Government mandate here.

There is no evidence that "even public schools follow these rules".

Not to say I don't have sympathy for these kids, because I do. I just feel there needs to be a middle ground and at the moment if you tried to exclude allergic children you'd have the rulemakers on your ass in a heartbeat.

There is no evidence this Daycare is excluding anyone.

So where do families of kids with no food allergies go to be allowed to eat a cheese sandwich or god forbid peanut butter and jelly?
Lil

Perhaps you should make sure of any Canadian law regarding the banning "Cheese Sandwiches" before claiming lost Rights.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

AlphaHawk

More like 2 year old girl suspended because parents ignored the terms outlined when they enrolled their child at that day care centre.

For a site that generally loathes the MSM, it sure has its fair share of MSM-like hyperbole.

edit on 6-3-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

Really......The progressive mindset hard at work again. Is it any wonder children never leave the home. With parents and schools pushing this crap we will see failure on many levels.

I actually feel kinda bad for the everybody is a winner generations. The future is not bright for them. Many will never leave the nest.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Perhaps you should make sure of any Canadian law regarding the banning "Cheese Sandwiches" before claiming lost Rights.

Just about every school and daycare across Canada now has a "no peanut product" policy.

Good luck trying to find one where you can send a peanut butter sandwich, a granola bar, or a bakery bought carrot muffin in their lunch bag.

My daughter's school enacted this policy when she was in grade 9 several years ago... all because of one 14 year old kid who didn't know any better and ate someone's granola bar and ended up having a severe life-threatening reaction to it where the school nurse had to administer an emergency epi-pan. One kid. A 14 year old who should've known better.

So yes, it HAS become an impediment to the majority that do not have these allergies.

The following eight foods account for 90% of all food allergies: milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat.

Source

I guess it's only a matter of time before the rest of those foods get banned from schools/daycares too.

In another 20 years from now, your kids will only be allowed to eat rice and drink water for lunch.

Liability issues have become the new fear in today's world because there seems to be less and less people taking personal responsibility for themselves and/or their kids, and more and more expecting the world to cater to them instead. (McDonald's coffee anyone ?)

We coddle, we nanny, we ban... because we fear lawsuits.

All under the guise of "what about the children ?!".

Smoke and mirrors.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'd feed the child a good breakfast, give him a multivitamin and send him to school wearing google glass (to prevent abuse by anyone who thinks they have authority) and for lunch a giant pixy and a mountain dew, (no one is allergic to those...yet) and see how the school likes to deal with the aftermath.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Wow! What a variety of opinions!

The day care is a private business and sets their policy to their benefit and to meet the standards of the agency that permits them to operate.
I know nothing of the laws/regs of Canada but in the US each state has a different set of standards for day care centers and individuals offering day care in their homes. Several of my relatives have run/managed/worked in, day care facilities in several states. On the basis of what they had to do to comply with state regulations, I fully understand having a policy against outside food. Day care center regulations are far more strict on food regulations than home-based facilities.
In this case I believe the father is taking the correct action in deciding to care for his daughter himself. Best possible outcome for both.
Contrary to what some posters have claimed, some childhood allergies do fade, others don't. My best friend was allergic to strawberries when we were kids, would break out in hives every time she ate them. But she couldn't resist and over time, by the time we were teens, the allergy was completely gone. I have no idea how much money her parents must have spent on treating her rashes when fresh strawberries were in season.
And although not a food allergy, one of my children was allergic to freshly cut grass as a toddler. It caused a dermatitis on her knees and ankles that looked exactly like poison ivy. It wasn't the chemicals on the grass because nobody used chemicals on the grass in those days, it was only when she walked where grass had been freshly cut. It caused her no end of misery in summer for five years then vanished. The first two summers that she was afflicted we spent countless hours in doctors' offices trying to find a way to spare her the torment. The summer that she turned four and it showed up again, she told her pediatrician that she really didn't care to see any more of his friends because they didn't get rid of the itch and she liked him better than his friends.
We avoided freshly cut grass as much as we could and treated her dermatitis when somebody slipped up.
Can you imagine the looks we got when we asked, "When did you mow your grass last?"

So, as a business owner I completely understand the policy. Was the situation handled correctly? Probably could have been better on the day care's part but the father knew the rules and used the business. Keep in mind that the business is likely losing whatever fees they would have collected while the father is perfectly free to find other accommodations. I'm a firm believer in parents taking care of their children if possible so in my mind he's found the proper way by this unpleasant incident. I say take them lemons and stir up some lemonade for that child!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

CranialSponge

Just about every school and daycare across Canada now has a "no peanut product" policy.

Good luck trying to find one where you can send a peanut butter sandwich, a granola bar, or a bakery bought carrot muffin in their lunch bag.

My daughter's school enacted this policy when she was in grade 9 several years ago... all because of one 14 year old kid who didn't know any better and ate someone's granola bar and ended up having a severe life-threatening reaction to it where the school nurse had to administer an emergency epi-pan. One kid. A 14 year old who should've known better.

So yes, it HAS become an impediment to the majority that do not have these allergies.

The following eight foods account for 90% of all food allergies: milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat.

Source

I guess it's only a matter of time before the rest of those foods get banned from schools/daycares too.

In another 20 years from now, your kids will only be allowed to eat rice and drink water for lunch.

Liability issues have become the new fear in today's world because there seems to be less and less people taking personal responsibility for themselves and/or their kids, and more and more expecting the world to cater to them instead. (McDonald's coffee anyone ?)

We coddle, we nanny, we ban... because we fear lawsuits.

All under the guise of "what about the children ?!".

Smoke and mirrors.

Talk about first world problems.

May I ask, is it really an impediment to not have peanuts/peanut products at a school? Over the course of your child being in school, how many times was this something that really affected you in a negative way? How many times has this been something you've actually spent time thinking about?

My son is going into sixth grade next year. There has been a peanut ban since he was in day care. It is not an issue for me - at first I thought, wow how over reaching. Then I came to realize it is not an issue. How hard is it not to bring peanut stuff into a school? Not hard. Not an impediment. Something I have thought about once or twice a year for maybe a minute each time.

Considering the alternative - severe reaction and possible death, is it really such a big deal? Why not acknowledge severe reactions to peanuts has increased 500% in the last 15 years? Is the response over the top? Maybe - but again really how hard is it for your kid not to have peanut product at school? It isn't.

As for the rest of the foods that comprise the majority of allergies, you may be on to something. Again considering that studies show a massive increase in allergies to these foods we may be left with nothing to eat. Something is wrong with how we can deal with these foods. Why? And when it comes down to it, what are we going to be able to eat before everything is toxic to our bodies?

To the point of this thread, I think it is unreasonable the school didn't give a "warning" to the parents that the rules they agreed to need to be followed. Kids are kids and mistakes happen.

CJ
edit on 7-3-2014 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You know I read through the responses to this thread, and Iam truly saddened and shocked. So many jumped on the bandwagon to point the finger of blame at the father in any way possible, despite facts or even common sense that might have led otherwise. I don't even believe a few read anything but the opening post before replying. This turned into a digital witch hunt. Because of this I felt compelled to dig a little deeper and try to find a different article the the first ones I linked to...and Lo and behold...HERE IT IS.

When Randy Murray dropped off his two-year-old daughter at daycare, unbeknownst to him she had a cheese sandwich with her. Although Murray understood why the sandwich was confiscated, he was not expecting his daughter to be suspended for three days. On Monday, Randy Murray, 32, didn't have time to have breakfast with his two children, Faith and Michael, before taking them to daycare at the Centre de l'enfant aux 4 Vente. So Murray made cheese sandwiches so the kids could eat them in the car on the way to daycare.Instead of eating her sandwich, two-year-old Faith slipped the ziplock bag into her pocket. The contraband was spotted almost immediately after Faith entered the daycare and a staff member confiscated the sandwich. The sandwich was then handed back to Murray.

LINK

I wonder now, does everyone understand why the father is angry?Does everyone understand that he didn't deliberately make her a sandwich to take to a daycare that already provides food, with the intention of using his daughter to potentially harm another child with a severe food allergy? That he is not only aware of the policy of the facility, but did not intentionally set out to go against it? Nothing more than a cute little girl sticking a sandwich into her pocket....Good Grief. Can we put the hangman's noose away now?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

AccessDenied
You know I read through the responses to this thread, and Iam truly saddened and shocked. So many jumped on the bandwagon to point the finger of blame at the father in any way possible, despite facts or even common sense that might have led otherwise.

Let's look at what happened shall we?

The Father did not make time to give his Child Breakfast.

He gave her a "Cheese Sandwich" presumably to eat in the car.

He did not notice that she still had it in the Daycare, even though the staff did straight away.

The Little Girl was suspended for three days as per the Contract that the Father signed when he enrolled his Child.

The Father then goes running to the Press to get his Picture in the Papers.

He is NOT a victim. He is NOT a hero of Liberty.

He is a Publicity seeker who could not be bothered to feed his Child a decent Breakfast.

I just hope that this poor Little Girl's Mother is a more Responsible human being.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join